bus capacity question(filled to the line)

BreeddekalbL

I hate the fact that a lot of people don't know what the BACK of the bus is. Pointing fingers, I blame majority of this to the older Asian population. Not the elders, as I know the front is more convenient for them, but like my age and in between.

Anyways, I know the max amount of people are suppose to stay behind the white line, but there were many instances where the Bus Operator's let people stand passed it and on to the step well. What are the penalties for that, if there are any? And why do some Bus Operator's allow it even when it's not allowed?

I hate the fact that a lot of people don't know what the BACK of the bus is. Pointing fingers, I blame majority of this to the older Asian population. Not the elders, as I know the front is more convenient for them, but like my age and in between.

Anyways, I know the max amount of people are suppose to stay behind the white line, but there were many instances where the Bus Operator's let people stand passed it and on to the step well. What are the penalties for that, if there are any? And why do some Bus Operator's allow it even when it's not allowed?

Trust me, it's not just Asians. It's all races. I've dealt with it plenty of times on Staten Island, where most lines don't have a lot of Asian riders.

As for letting people in front of the white line, it's all up to the B/O. Some of them don't feel like arguing with passengers, and for some others, they know the service doesn't run that frequently, so you may be waiting a long time for the next bus, and the B/O feels bad for them and lets them on. In other cases, the B/O knows that there's a major stop coming up soon where a lot of people get off, so they'll deal with it for a few blocks.

Trust me, it's not just Asians. It's all races. I've dealt with it plenty of times on Staten Island, where most lines don't have a lot of Asian riders.

As for letting people in front of the white line, it's all up to the B/O. Some of them don't feel like arguing with passengers, and for some others, they know the service doesn't run that frequently, so you may be waiting a long time for the next bus, and the B/O feels bad for them and lets them on. In other cases, the B/O knows that there's a major stop coming up soon where a lot of people get off, so they'll deal with it for a few blocks.

The problem is that people are afraid of falling if they move back, though this is mostly a low-floor issue. If it's an RTS or Orion V or D60HF, then that would not be a problem. They fear the bus making a hard stop while on those stairs.

The problem is that people are afraid of falling if they move back, though this is mostly a low-floor issue. If it's an RTS or Orion V or D60HF, then that would not be a problem. They fear the bus making a hard stop while on those stairs.

I think it's just a combination of laziness & selfishness, TBH. They figure that they're already on the bus, so who cares about the people getting flagged, right?

Same thing happens on an RTS and Orion V. People stand up to the back door and that's it. That's why buses have the double rows of seats in the back of the buses now.

That doesn't help at all. People are hell bent on not moving back, and I've heard some people claim that it's harder to get off if you do, which is a completely asinine belief. If the bus is crowded, it'll be hard to get off wherever you stand.

That doesn't help at all. People are hell bent on not moving back, and I've heard some people claim that it's harder to get off if you do, which is a completely asinine belief. If the bus is crowded, it'll be hard to get off wherever you stand.

Not necessarily. When I lived in the city, I took the M60 every day to get home, and at 125th i'd either stand next to the front or back door. This way, I would just be able to get off, and not have to worry about me missing my stop.

Not necessarily. When I lived in the city, I took the M60 every day to get home, and at 125th i'd either stand next to the front or back door. This way, I would just be able to get off, and not have to worry about me missing my stop.

That's exactly what you should not do. It makes it harder for others to get off...

I wouldn't say they are afraid of falling, they just don't want to move to the back. But then again, there are folks that don't like the sudden jolt the bus creates while standing on the top floor when the brakes are hit hard.

A good example is the Q44 (when they used Low Floor Orions) and the Q46. You can always tell which crowd moved to the back or not. When the Q44s had Orion VIIs and such, NO ONE wanted to move to the back while folks on the Q46 moved all the way to the back, even on the LFSs and the new Orion VIIs

I wouldn't say they are afraid of falling, they just don't want to move to the back. But then again, there are folks that don't like the sudden jolt the bus creates while standing on the top floor when the brakes are hit hard.

A good example is the Q44 (when they used Low Floor Orions) and the Q46. You can always tell which crowd moved to the back or not. When the Q44s had Orion VIIs and such, NO ONE wanted to move to the back while folks on the Q46 moved all the way to the back, even on the LFSs and the new Orion VIIs

same with the S53 and S79 its a natural thing...as for the B1. nope, gotta tell them too

I dunno, I've been on Q46's a ton of times where the back of an Orion VII was empty because no one wanted to go up the stairs

same with the S53 and S79 its a natural thing...as for the B1. nope, gotta tell them too

Now if only S46 riders were more like the S53 & S79 riders. :(

Come to think about it, off the top of my head, I can't really think of any other SI lines where you consistantly have the problem of riders not moving to the back. On the S44 & S48, they generally move back as well, at least from what I've seen. On those 2 lines, I don't recall a bus flagging people without at least a few people standing in the back. On the S59, it's a mixed bag. Sometimes the riders move to the back, and sometimes they don't.

I mean, of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. I do recall S53 trips where the people didn't move back, but most of the time, they'll at least move after you ask them, because they realize the bus isn't going anywhere until they can fit everybody on who's trying to get on (if it's a major stop like say, Grasmere or Hylan & Clove or something).

Some drivers open up the back door and have people board through there, so that helps too sometimes. You don't have a huge line at the front as people slowly push their way back.

You know, in my experience, and it is one of the downfalls of the newer buses, but on the low-floor buses like the Orion HEVs where you have to step up to get to the back, nobody ever does step up and while the bus driver is telling people on the speaker to do so, still nobody steps up.

That's exactly what you should not do. It makes it harder for others to get off...

To be honest, it's much more sensical to do that on a high floor, since there is slightly more space due to the wheelchair securement area.

I dunno, I've been on Q46's a ton of times where the back of an Orion VII was empty because no one wanted to go up the stairs

From the times I've seen and bypassed them buses at Kew Gardens because of the crowds, they've went up to the back.

This has happened on so many occasions to me. On the B36 in the mornings, buses pass up my stop a lot, due to the bus being "packed". The back is usually empty. I believe that on this route in particular, the passengers do this on purpose to get to their stop faster. Also, on special short trips to Ocean Pkwy for Lincoln HS students, the buses are fairly empty, and the regular trips seem to be packed... with Lincoln students, and SBHS students. When I used to go to SBHS, I needed to use the regular trippers, and had to miss out on 3 or 4 buses, just to get a full bus with enough to squeeze in two or three people. The Lincoln students would just depart the bus I was on, as if they were not standing at the bus stop when the Ocean Pkwy trip stopped at their stop. One time I missed 8 (Yeah EIGHT) buses and was extremely late for school. I was so pissed that day. And this is just one of the many routes that I have this problem with, ever since I moved to C.I. In Flatbush, where I used to be, this was not an issue because it barely ever happened.

SBHS = Sheepshead Bay High School (for those who didn't know)

Archived