Photos of suspect in fatal subway push

Abba

I only gave "Like" or thumbs up for mentioning this sad story. RIP to the victim. Dont know the whole story but sometimes when dealing with unstable ppl. you never know, they could be dangerous and thus led to this horrible crime. That why for 25 years-plus years riding the NYC subways, i took my mom's advice and "walk away from trouble."

and the post has the photo of the guy right before he was hit by the train!

i was going to post it but i decided against it.

Personally I think the photographer who snapped that photo is partially liable. If the train wasn't already in emergency braking when the photographer started snapping his flash, the photo flashes certainly wouldn't help the T/O see the person in harms way. The photog claims he was firing the flash to try and get the T/O's attention but, - anyone here correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think a bunch of flashes would mean anything to anyone. Waving a light side to side over the edge of the platform however.... (but how is anyone supposed to know to do that)

In any event, depending on if the train was braking or not, that photog might be guilty of negligent manslaughter, in my opinion.

Very sad to hear of such tragic news, condolences go out to the family.

Life is too short ya never know when it will end for you or those around you, one day your alive the next day your gone.

You never know when that one day will be your last or someones last.

I hate reading stories like this because people were involved in this murder. My heart goes out to the widow who have to continue life knowing that her loving husband will not be returning. Also my heart goes out to the motorman who had to witness this scene and could have done nothing to stop his train.

The photographer is absolutely partially responsible for that person's death, and therefore the NY Post (and gothamist and everyone else who keeps reposting it) is now connected too.

Even as a C/R, flashes of lights like that (even that stupid flickering light at Court Sq) DISTRACTS ME. It doesn't bring my attention to anything! This is why you NEVER NEVER NEVER use the flash on your camera when pointing it at the crew.

Try pointing a flash at your eyes and see how well you can recognize your surroundings right after it goes off.......

The photographer is absolutely partially responsible for that person's death, and therefore the NY Post (and gothamist and everyone else who keeps reposting it) is now connected too.

Even as a C/R, flashes of lights like that (even that stupid flickering light at Court Sq) DISTRACTS ME. It doesn't bring my attention to anything! This is why you NEVER NEVER NEVER use the flash on your camera when pointing it at the crew.

Try pointing a flash at your eyes and see how well you can recognize your surroundings right after it goes off.......

Fully Agreed with you on that.

1. F*ck the Post.

Pushing the tragic death of a man as a cover in the name of sales is one of the most immoral, ethically disgusting things in the world. Then, to make the cover (something seen by every man, woman, and child who sees a copy of the paper) something as disturbing as that is a disservice to all of us. All that they've done is profited off the death of a man. The callous "DOOMED" text is equally disgusting, simplifying a death to a simple punchline. They are disgusting. I wish I could say I were surprised, but that rag is and will always remain that low.

2. F*ck the "photojournalist" R. Umar Abbasi

Photojournalism is important to society. It illuminates and reveals and helps us better understand the world we're in. It can be ethically challenging, but there is a debate to be had about what's moral and immoral to shoot. This is not part of the debate. When you actively choose to let a man die to get a shot in lieu of helping him, you become a part of his death. That's not photojournalism, that's complete disregard for human life. Then, to sell off the picture to tabloids and hope they make up some bullsh!t line about flash to cover your pathetic actions...Abbasi should have a lot of trouble sleeping at night, knowing he did nothing to help save a man (and probably made things worse by shooting off the flash) and profited off of his death.

Classless pigs, Abbasi and everybody involved in putting that on the cover. Disgusting.

To be fair, if the train is barreling into the station with seconds to spare, the only thing you can try to do is tell the guy to find cover maybe under the platform or as a last resort, lay down flat in the space b/w the tracks. Trying to help the guy at that moment would lead the good samaritan to be a statistic.

That said, it is deplorable seeing people focusing more on taking the picture for some sick depraved kick or even profiting from such a tragedy. At least if you can't help the guy, you are better off not doing anything but to pray for the person.

I only gave "Like" or thumbs up for mentioning this sad story. RIP to the victim. Dont know the whole story but sometimes when dealing with unstable ppl. you never know, they could be dangerous and thus led to this horrible crime. That why for 25 years-plus years riding the NYC subways, i took my mom's advice and "walk away from trouble."

Just hear me out, I got your PMs over an unrelated issue which I will not explain and thanks for the clarification as regards to the subject discussed. That is between us.

Back on topic: That's exactly why I still use some of my streetsmarts with eyes in the back of my head. I will not argue with you but as soon as you assault me I will not stop until you don't move or even breathe. Depends if going to prison over a person threatening bodily harm is worth it. Depends on how much I hate you for your actions and what you've said to even provoke me. It was damn worth it for Bernie Goetz, he could have been a dead man if he did not do what he has to do.

Sad. New Yorkers have to come to this? Will there ever be peace among everyone? I hadda ask....

What a ridiculous and heinous crime. Ohhhh don't let me even say why.....

Absolutely. I would'nt just stand there like a fool and take pics and oggle at a man dying when I could have saved that man's life. Hey as a New Yorker we have some incredibly stupid 'effin ppl out there,(And they are NYers?) to the pont of loss of words for the sake of the young dudes here.....

I'm going to put my rose colored glasses on my face now instead of getting wilded up over it. I have to watch my blood pressure and my temper. Tomorrows another hellish day commuting on the (D) then the (F) to work. Every day brings risks adversities and challenges. And opportunities and blessings.

Whatever.

This is utterly disgusting.

nypost_20121204_3_001_C_3%20copy--300x300.jpg

Nice headline you morons. I dont know how the victim's family wouldve felt if they saw this. This headline is literally saying "we need to go on, since it happened. "

Seeing someone be killed in person is really traumatizing for people. It's not like the movies where they have fake blood and stuff.

I know the family will not recover the loss of a family member, but I wish the best for them.

Lets see the photographer have guilt and nightmares on this, an if he doesn't, then I have no words to say how disgraceful that is.

Nice headline you morons. I dont know how the victim's family wouldve felt if they saw this. This headline is literally saying "we need to go on, since it happened. "

Seeing someone be killed in person is really traumatizing for people. It's not like the movies where they have fake blood and stuff.

I know the family will not recover the loss of a family member, but I wish the best for them.

Lets see the photographer have guilt and nightmares on this, an if he doesn't, then I have no words to say how disgraceful that is.

Nice job (not!) by Rupert Mudrock and the folks at the NY Post. Yes it's a news story(I worked for few years at a small weekly paper in Queens so i have some basic knowledge of morals something both NYC tabloids lack but that for another chat)but IMO it was classless and tacky to show that pic on front cover of that paper. :angry:

What kinda s*** is that? Thats really messed up that youre looking at a man thats about to meet his fate and the world can see it. Not only the world can see but his wife and if he had any children they will see it also. Then on top the motorman who is trying to get over the fact that his train struck someone has to relive this moment again. I think the New York Post should be sued and the man that shot the pic also.

Update. This evening (12/4/12)the NYPD has arrested a suspect in the pushing incident.

shove5n-2-web.jpg

The man suspected of shoving a Queens father to his death in front of a midtown subway train was busted by cops Tuesday near the crime scene.

Police were questioning the man about the horrific crime that left Han Ki Suk, 58, crushed by a Q train at the station at 49th St. and Seventh Ave. Monday.

The arrest came just hours after a $12,000 bounty was put on the head of the pusher in hopes of spurring a speedy capture.

The hunt for the subterranean menace intensified Tuesday morning as security was beefed up at the subway station.

Detectives were posted at all entrances and exits to the station, eyeing the crowd in case the madman made a reappearance. Other cops patrolled the area on foot and in cruisers, passing out snapshots of the suspect gleaned from video surveillance footage.

“He is nuts,” straphanger Anthony White, 41, said of the suspect, whom he recognized as a panhandler who frequents Times Square.

“He would talk to himself,” said White. “I’ll put it this way, as long as he didn’t bother me, I didn’t bother him. They should catch him and put him in jail for life.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/cops-nab-subway-shove-suspect-times-sq-article-1.1213300#ixzz2E93Tf3UL

Archived