Total Loss at South Ferry ?

NYCTSignals

Honestly, the likelihood of the SF loop reopening as a temporary station is very slim. People have accepted that the South Ferry station has been severely damaged and that it will take time to rebuild. The Rector walk is not bad. It really isn't. And now that the (R)'s running its normal route again, the headways at Whitehall Street aren't as long anymore. Yes, it sucks that Sandy created a lot of devastation, but when you look at other transit systems in the area itching just to restore service on their lines, the MTA would look silly spending money to open a disfunctional loop station.

I would love Larry or Lance to lock this thread.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is very.........interesting to say the least lol. If there is one thing that no one that I can recall is saying, its that we need to be glad that the old South Ferry loop is still working AT ALL. With all of the damage that happened to the new South Ferry station AND Whitehall St, it's amazing that the (1) can even go through the loop and keep the service as close to normal as it was before Sandy hit. For all that happened there, that's a miracle.

I work on the (1) now and I can tell you, if the (MTA) considered opening the station, the station itself would need work. A lot of what needs to be done has been mentioned already but the station itself has some damage to it. I saw tiles and bricks on the floor at the station while passing through and there is a big hole on the wall at the front of the station. Thankfully, while the station is a mess it's not so much that we can't go through there. The best thing that can happen now is to fix what has been created. The new SF station was very helpful to passengers when I was working on the (1) last year and earlier this year and once they fix it, it needs to reopen as soon as possible but we have to be patient. Thank goodness there are alternatives to get to SF or else we'd be up shits creek.

Exactly, it's not like anyone (other than one person) is saying reopen it for the sake of it. The idea is to open it until the new platform is ready for service. Something is better than nothing. People dealt with the old loop platform for years, it's not like they can't deal with it for another few months. But hey, if people would rather walk or transfer than deal with the loop, then that's fine. I'd think they'd might prefer a stop close to the terminal than to walk there from rector.

That would entail fixing the old loop platform for what would be a rather short amount of time before new SF would reopen. Even if the station's physical structure was intact, the station would need working platform extenders, a turnstile bank, and an ADA exemption.

Granted, South Ferry is in pretty bad shape, but South Ferry is not Hoboken - no one is having their commute extended by a two hour bus ride. Trains are already serving Whitehall, anyways.

Not a fantasy, but it may come to the fact that the old loop station would have to reopen if the new station is truly ruined...

I dont wanna seem ignorant but YESSS!!!! I miss that loop!! They should have it prepared by 2013 cuz Im sick of changing to the (R) at Times Square to reach the ferry!

I dont wanna seem ignorant but YESSS!!!! I miss that loop!! They should have it prepared by 2013 cuz Im sick of changing to the (R) at Times Square to reach the ferry!

Common sense should tell you to just stay on the (1) all the way to Rector Street and then walk to South Ferry. Simple. No need for the (R) or (2)(3)(4)(5) because that means you have to add more and more intervals and minutes to your commute. The walking distance along the (1) line in Lower Manhattan isn't even long.

Common sense should tell you to just stay on the (1) all the way to Rector Street and then walk to South Ferry. Simple. No need for the (R) or (2)(3)(4)(5) because that means you have to add more and more intervals and minutes to your commute. The walking distance along the (1) line in Lower Manhattan isn't even long.

You can freeze your ass off in this weather while others just take another train.

Tell that to the MTA - that is the suggestion they make on the service advisory for the (1).

I would of just taken the M5 or M20 and call it a day..... I guess, when it comes to this cold weather and all. (Just an opinion...)

The reason they are saying that is because the (R), (4) and (5) are closer (obviously). Walking the distance is not worth it especially if folks gotta catch the ferry, I've done it a few times and it gets annoying. The (4) and the (5) are timed almost perfectly with the ferry.

For folks needing to catch the ferry(which is my necessity 99.9% of the time), the (R), (4) and (5) is more reliable and better than having to walk the distance to the terminal. If it's for other reasons, then walk!

You can freeze your ass off in this weather while others just take another train.

Maybe the (R) is just one single transfer from the (1), but I doubt its riders will actually go for the (4)(5) after the (2)(3). That's just a single guess.

EDIT: Oh, and I may freeze my 'ass' off this weather but hey? There's Spring and Summer, even Fall sometimes. So its no big deal...

Or better use express bus more frequent too.

And how exactly would that help somebody who lives near St. George?

wasn't the loop station closer to the ferry boarding area than the new station?

Yeah, it was actually inside the terminal itself. If you went down the stairs, it was all the way to your left, in the corner. (I think they have those roll-up gates over the old entrance).

In any case, I guess it would depend on how much time I felt I had to catch the ferry. When you're transferring to the (R), you have to walk around within Times Square, going up and down stairs, and then you have to wait for the (R) itself. I walk fairly fast, so I'd probably get out at Rector and run to the ferry. At least then I have more control over it, and I'm not at the mercy of the (R) being delayed.

Maybe the (R) is just one single transfer from the (1), but I doubt its riders will actually go for the (4)(5) after the (2)(3). That's just a single guess.

EDIT: Oh, and I may freeze my 'ass' off this weather but hey? There's Spring and Summer, even Fall sometimes. So its no big deal...

It's winter now, and how do you know that they won't come up with a temporary solution before Spring?

It's winter now, and how do you know that they won't come up with a temporary solution before Spring?

When did I say they won't come up with a temporary solution before Spring......? You said I can "freeze my ass" off this weather/season while others just take another train...I said whatever and that there's always Spring and Summer so it won't be a big deal for me to walk from Rector to South Ferry during those two seasons... <_<

Archived