Fearful 'end of world' callers flood NASA

Quill Depot

If there's one government agency really looking forward to Dec. 22, it's NASA.

The space agency said it has been flooded with calls and emails from people asking about the purported end of the world — which, as the doomsday myth goes, is apparently set to take place on Dec. 21, 2012.

The myth might have originated with the Mayan calendar, but in the age of the Internet and social media, it proliferated online, raising questions and concerns among hundreds of people around the world who have turned to NASA for answers.

Dwayne Brown, an agency spokesman, said NASA typically receives about 90 calls or emails per week containing questions from people. In recent weeks, he said, that number has skyrocketed — from 200 to 300 people are contacting NASA per day to ask about the end of the world.

"Who's the first agency you would call?" he said. "You're going to call NASA."

The questions range from myth (Will a rogue planet crash into Earth? Is the sun going to explode? Will there be three days of darkness?) to the macabre (Brown said some people have "embraced it so much" they want to hurt themselves). So, he said, NASA decided to do "everything in our power" to set the facts straight.

Source and More of Article

I would just love to meet the person who got this whole "mayan calander" routin started, so I could beat him to an everloving pulp...

I partly blame the History Channel. They were hyping this years ago "These mayan ruins are great to vist, but if you want to go, do it soon, accorind to the Mayans...." this was in like 2004...

I wonder what the next big scare will be. There was Y2K (2000), then 6/6/06, then this. (I might be forgetting a couple).

Let's seee, There was the year 79AD, 1000, 1313, 1900, 1910, 1914, 1980, 1982, 1988, 1991, 1997, 2000, 2008, 2011...... To my knowledge, that's it.

I have a Friend stationed in Japan he says it's dec 21, he is fine.

However in china there going ape shit so much that the Chinese government sent some of them to prison because of the 2012 Craziness some even built boats and pods to prepare .

Apparently the 2012 movie was big hit in China.

I would just love to meet the person who got this whole "mayan calander" routin started, so I could beat him to an everloving pulp...

I partly blame the History Channel. They were hyping this years ago "These mayan ruins are great to vist, but if you want to go, do it soon, accorind to the Mayans...." this was in like 2004...

Yeah, it was about 2004 when I first heard about this.

I wonder what the next big scare will be. There was Y2K (2000), then 6/6/06, then this. (I might be forgetting a couple).

Does Sept. 11, 2001 count? That sure as hell felt like the end of the world.

nat geo too...

....and to think I used to watch that show Conspiracy Theories (w/ Jesse Ventura)

Anyway, what the hell NASA goin do? Lol, they aint fin to fly MF-ers outer space en masse like that - civilians are too low down on the totem pole..... The same people that are calling NASA out of trepidation may as well have saved that energy crawling in the tightest fetal position they can, repeating "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god" until they run out of breath.... Just come to grips that you will die on planet Earth & go somewhere w/ the rest of that garbage.....

.....'cause hell, aint no scotty's down here, and NASA aint beaming up Shit.....

I think I liked history better when they were "the Hitler Channel". (watch someone take that the wrong way). Now days it's ether Pawn, Pickers and Co, Ice Road and Top Gear, and the rest is the "Hysterical Channel"

pawn stars and occasionally the US top gear I can tolerate, it's all the other reality crap I can't stand. At least they had some nice documentary series recently like mankind and the men who built America.

The end of the world will be whenever Earth eventually destroys itself with all this pollution and global warming. Id say somewhere in the high 20xx's, near 2100. (Yes, I am a fan of that movie Earth 2100).

Don't believe that garbage, global warming has been discredited.

Archived