A dead body isn't going to slow down train service

Harry

post-5097-0-92846300-1358179047_thumb.jpg
In the subway, the show must go on — even if it means stashing a body in the closet. Roughly 140 people are hit by trains every year, yet millions of customers demand interruption-free service, so the police sometimes have to tuck a corpse into a nonpublic area of a station until the medical examiner shows up to take it away.

“If hauling a body to a side room seems ghoulish, remember that 5.5 million people ride the subway every day,” a transit official said.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-92846300-1358179047_thumb.jpg

I've seen quite a few situations where they will have roped off one section of the platform (between 2 pillars) with yellow tape and have a cop standing over the body, covered with a white cloth. I guess there was no room to store the body in or whatever.

It's not surprising that they do that, the medical examiner can take hours to get to a scene, especially if it is not a serious crime scene. 

Late last year, A man got zapped by the 3rd Rail @ Broadway Junction and it FUBAR'd service long enough to where they had to run (A) service in two sections in the middle of rush hour.

So this story isn't always true as my (A) train got stuck at Grant Ave for like a half an hour before it went to Euclid to terminate to go back to Queens. Article gives the impression they would just simply shut the power off, get the body, turn the power back on and Wa la! and train service is normal again, only taking like 5 to 10 minutes.

Its still kinda cold IMO though, damn.

are all those idiots concentrated by the (A) more so than other lines?

IDK how he ended up on the roadbed, the only incident I heard of a person dying via touching the 3rd rail (In recent times) was the guy that died at the 34th Street (F) station a while back, there was a thread on here on that, and some LIRR employees making contact with the 3rd Rail by mistake, I hope these people was knocked unconscious the moment that electricity entered their bodies.  

Late last year, A man got zapped by the 3rd Rail @ Broadway Junction and it FUBAR'd service long enough to where they had to run (A) service in two sections in the middle of rush hour.

So this story isn't always true as my (A) train got stuck at Grant Ave for like a half an hour before it went to Euclid to terminate to go back to Queens. Article gives the impression they would just simply shut the power off, get the body, turn the power back on and Wa la! and train service is normal again, only taking like 5 to 10 minutes.

when was this 1990, 2000 or 2011?

You would think they could have vans rigged at a proper temperature that could be used for this, park the van outside and put the body in there until the medical examiner arrives.  Seems more logical and sensitive than shoving a body into a broom closet.  What are they using these "areas" for when they are not storing bodies?  Doesn't seems like a health issue for station employees in the long run, are these ares properly cleaned afterwoods?

I  was on a train coming into the PABT the Sunday before superstom sandy, it did't take very long for them to get a supervisor out, get police clearance and get us up to a car that made the platform to get us off.  I was really expecting it take longer and was surprised how quickly it was.  Medics and police were in front of the train working on the victim, people were trying to get as close and taking picture, I don't know why they wanted to see someone who just got hit by a train!  I didn't want to see that went up the stairs right after I took a left to go to the PABT they NYPD started making everyone coming up the stairs go to the right.  A few seconds later they were running up the stairs with the guy on a back board.  Talk about quick, it was about 20 min after he jumped in front of the train and he was almost to a waiting ambulance.  I didn't want to see what someone looked like who got kit by a train but they ran right past me and I'll never get the f ucked image out of my head.  They placed the backboard on the turn style while the cops went over it, the turn style was covered in blood, that was equally damaging for me now I can't touch a turn style with my hands a d I carry hand sanitzer everywhere. lol

I agree with B35v Via Church Ave, some secrets are best kept a secret, no reason the public needs to hear about this!  Maybe they can make subaway ads for tourists "every year aprx are 140 people are hit by a train, about 47 of them are stuffed in a mop closet for hours to keet the system moving!" lol

Archived