New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/6/2022 at 10:59 AM, B35 via Church said:

Lol at NJT running MCI's on the #125 due to the fleet change on the #119 though; the things that happen when your hands are forced.....

Desperation personified.  Waiting on that “do you know the 125?”.  I saw a Meadowlands paddle laying around Wayne (forgot which lines), forced hands in action again

35 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

Desperation personified.  Waiting on that “do you know the 125?”.  I saw a Meadowlands paddle laying around Wayne (forgot which lines), forced hands in action again

What you going to do if meadowlands has a high turnover rate? Keep in mind you cannot be forced to do a line not in your garage unless you are properly qualified on it. You guys did 319s when they needed extra buses, it’s fine and dandy but get into an accident and watch how the company throws you under the bus. It’s too many “here I come to save the day operators”.

When Howell needed help with the 137 local and 139s they broke 319 operators at eht on on it. 

One day I did a trip up on the 319 and had to dhd back to eht, and a supervisor came to my bus and said they needed a 193 to Willowbrook and that I had to do it, i said I’m not a Wayne driver I am eht and she said it’s a direct order I said no I don’t know those lines. I called my garage supervisor and he chewed her a new a**hole. The only lines eht can do out of PABT is the 137, 139 and 319 because those are going south and will put us within an hour of eht to dhd. 

2 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

What you going to do if meadowlands has a high turnover rate? Keep in mind you cannot be forced to do a line not in your garage unless you are properly qualified on it. You guys did 319s when they needed extra buses, it’s fine and dandy but get into an accident and watch how the company throws you under the bus. It’s too many “here I come to save the day operators”.

When Howell needed help with the 137 local and 139s they broke 319 operators at eht on on it. 

One day I did a trip up on the 319 and had to dhd back to eht, and a supervisor came to my bus and said they needed a 193 to Willowbrook and that I had to do it, i said I’m not a Wayne driver I am eht and she said it’s a direct order I said no I don’t know those lines. I called my garage supervisor and he chewed her a new a**hole. The only lines eht can do out of PABT is the 137, 139 and 319 because those are going south and will put us within an hour of eht to dhd. 

Yo these supervisors be wildin 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

i would have been heated i would have been i would have forced her to take me oos , thank goodness your supervisor intervined and stopped this madness 

Edited by BreeddekalbL

While driving the 194 had someone ring for a stop and much to her chagrin didn’t get her wish as I sailed past and went to Newark Pompton Tpk.  “Why didn’t you stop?!!”  “Because I’m not supposed to”.  “I checked the app and it said you stop.  Every 194 I’ve been on stops at Mother’s”

“Miss, here’s a copy of the current schedule so you can keep up with all of the stops, which bus goes where, etc.  Enjoy the walk back, but as your consolation prize the sun is out.  Enjoy your day” •Cue Gunstar Heroes stage complete ost*

5 hours ago, 46Dover said:

While driving the 194 had someone ring for a stop and much to her chagrin didn’t get her wish as I sailed past and went to Newark Pompton Tpk.  “Why didn’t you stop?!!”  “Because I’m not supposed to”.  “I checked the app and it said you stop.  Every 194 I’ve been on stops at Mother’s”

“Miss, here’s a copy of the current schedule so you can keep up with all of the stops, which bus goes where, etc.  Enjoy the walk back, but as your consolation prize the sun is out.  Enjoy your day” •Cue Gunstar Heroes stage complete ost*

So she should have gotten a 194 to newfoundland or butler if she wanted the mothers stop

On 8/19/2022 at 5:51 AM, 46Dover said:

Man, I STILL have that game for Genesis!!!! (crazy enough, my Genesis still works).... Fire Shark, Gunstar Heroes, and Vectorman (1 & 2), spent countless hours after school during my JHS days playing those games.... Hell, even right before I left for school in the morning.... Good ole times....

As far as ole girl missing that stop, it's her own fault for assuming all #194's stop at that P&R.... People need to realize that whatever's being conveyed on these apps are not gospel.

21 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

So she should have gotten a 194 to newfoundland or butler if she wanted the mothers stop

Better yet, ask @46Dover if he was stopping at that P&R !

You'd think that would be common sense, but as is said, common sense isn't so common anymore.....

On 8/19/2022 at 5:51 AM, 46Dover said:

I covered an 83 run for Meadowlands a few months ago, and there’s a section along Bergen Turnpike in the northbound direction that has no stops (IIRC between Union Turnpike and Toneele HBLR) and the first day I did it, someone rang the bell but I didn’t see no stop so I kept going. Then all of a sudden I hear someone scream STOP and that scared the absolute shit out of me. I stopped the bus and said what happened!?! She comes up and says to let her off because I passed her stop. I told her that’s why you screamed!?! There is no stop here next stop is the HBLR station. Then she got into a rant saying how every other driver stops there then proceeded to get her phone out, shove it in the drivers compartment to take my photo. Then when I got there I opened the door and told everyone I will not be stopping at any point along Bergen Turnpike if there’s no bus stop pole or sign. It’s not even programmed into the GTFS feed. For the whole week it was the same issue. I’m glad I don’t have to do that nonsense anymore, let me stay on my 1, 25 and 70.

A side note; why do people have the need to scream STOP when the bus is moving??? Do they not know how freaking dangerous that is?

Edited by Lawrence St

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

A side note; why do people have the need to scream STOP when the bus is moving??? Do they not know how freaking dangerous that is?

Some of it is Panic (either [passengers not knowing where the next stop is, in proximity to where they want to get off] or [b/o's not knowing the route (which is an unspoken fear that passengers do have]), a lot of it is Laziness, and ALL of it is Entitlement....

Can't put it any clearer than that.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Some of it is Panic (either [passengers not knowing where the next stop is, in proximity to where they want to get off] or [b/o's not knowing the route (which is an unspoken fear that passengers do have]), a lot of it is Laziness, and ALL of it is Entitlement....

At the risk of potentially causing an accident because they startle the operator, just to get off at a stop? Unreal. 

15 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

At the risk of potentially causing an accident because they startle the operator, just to get off at a stop? Unreal. 

Yes, because like I said, riders are that entitled... And on top of it, when that accident is caused, you'll be 100% to blame by that very passenger too.

Ask a veteran (or any otherwise tenured) b/o how thankless a job that passengers see it as....

16 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Man, I STILL have that game for Genesis!!!! (crazy enough, my Genesis still works).... Fire Shark, Gunstar Heroes, and Vectorman (1 & 2), spent countless hours after school during my JHS days playing those games.... Hell, even right before I left for school in the morning.... Good ole times....

Believe it or not, the only reason I heard of Gunstar was this YouTube sports guy UrinatingTree (who is a Pittsburgh sports guy, mostly the Steelers) used the end stage theme to highlight a touchdown play 

I finally asked where was the theme from to which I was directed by someone else

5 hours ago, 46Dover said:

Believe it or not, the only reason I heard of Gunstar was this YouTube sports guy UrinatingTree (who is a Pittsburgh sports guy, mostly the Steelers) used the end stage theme to highlight a touchdown play 

**youtube video**

I finally asked where was the theme from to which I was directed by someone else

I got the game as a birthday present many moons ago... I've heard of it before the fact though, through those old GamePro magazines.... Very underrated game.

Lol @ UrinatingTree still around.... I used to watch his original channel, where he did video game reviews, back around 2008/09 (Faaatt Mannn Judgeth).... Not only was he funny as shit (IMO), his reviews were on point, on top of it...... Then all of a sudden, he stopped uploading content altogether..... IIRC, the rumor going around was that he had a nervous breakdown of some sort.... Don't know, don't care..... But now that you mention the dude & I check his upload history, I see he's been doing sports related commentary since I've stopped going to his channel.... He wasn't always a sports guy (on youtube).... Him featuring video game themes/music in his sports related videos makes sense, because he used to review video games... Skimming through his more recent uploads, he's not nearly as comical or aggressive as he used to be... I wonder why he switched up from video games to sports.... Ah well....

On 8/20/2022 at 4:11 PM, B35 via Church said:

Its not entitlement, it's piss poor design by NJT.

NYC buses have a full color screen (like a TV) showing upcoming stops. Why cant NJT provide information to customers? Why on earth are they sending out new buses with the same (usually static) red LED screen from 1981?

MTA_Bus_653_Interior_Displays_04_-_Parso

Speaking of, Im trying to find info on the fare between Newark+Seaside Heights. As far as I can tell, the pdf map doesnt show fare zones. The trip planner says $17, but no info on zones. The app does not give seaside heights as an option, just asks for the number of zones. The fare chart on the website? Doesnt show any fare costing $17.

How are they so bad at giving info on their services?

21 minutes ago, jass said:

Its not entitlement, it's piss poor design by NJT....

NYC buses have a full color screen (like a TV) showing upcoming stops. Why cant NJT provide information to customers? Why on earth are they sending out new buses with the same (usually static) red LED screen from 1981?

NJT could invest in & implement those internal displays you're referencing & it still wouldn't change passengers' general attitudes & dispositions towards b/o's..... You would still have passengers yelling out STOP (as @Lawrence St is inquiring about), to say the least, regardless... Passengers barely read the external destination signs as it is, for those internal displays in question to make the difference that it appears that you're conveying to me that it would....

Yeah, we have those displays on our buses here in NYC & I'd say it isn't much more than window dressing nowadays for a lot of riders.... Yeah, it beats that red LED display currently on NJT's buses, but still, it doesn't supersede the selfishness, inconsiderateness, and entitlement of passengers... What Lawrence st. is pointing out is a far bigger issue than just piss-poor design....