New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm trying to think of a route that quote-unquote normally uses MCI's (that should perhaps have the local fleet ran on it), and I can't think of one.... The #355 (unlike, say. the #111) is very hit or miss when it comes to patronage (I never thought the #355 should've became a thing from jump, especially with its exorbitant fare, but that's another issue)... The #320 Harmon Meadow? Nah, I can't agree with running artics on that route... The thing is a commuter route & should continue to use MCI's AFAIC.... If you think artics should run on the #320 because of its usage, I'd like to know your thoughts on running artics on the #111 for that same reason (usage).....

To sum it up, I don't take much of any issue with NJT's dispersion of their bus fleet, even with the way the MCI's & the NABI's are interchangeably used on some of the SNJ routes...

Once in a while youll see a nabi suburban pop up on the 320...Thats about it....i agree with you tho about the artics on the 320..Transit has an interesting way of how they use they fleet which Ii sort of like... i caught an mci on the 182 from GWBT and on my way back a nabi transit showed up 5676...back in the 90s mostly Flexible suburbans ran on the 320 with a few MCIS.. .Meadowlands  now dont have enough artics to run on the 320 even if they wanted too cause of the 119 now...MCIS are now popping up on the 125 cause of the 119

22 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Once in a while youll see a nabi suburban pop up on the 320...Thats about it....i agree with you tho about the artics on the 320..Transit has an interesting way of how they use they fleet which Ii sort of like... i caught an mci on the 182 from GWBT and on my way back a nabi transit showed up 5676...back in the 90s mostly Flexible suburbans ran on the 320 with a few MCIS.. .Meadowlands  now dont have enough artics to run on the 320 even if they wanted too cause of the 119 now...MCIS are now popping up on the 125 cause of the 119

Commuter routes in general (should) get first dibs on the MCI's, which you think would be common sense....

Your point about the #119 is a good one.... The #119 clearly consistently carries more than the #320, and there's no way in hell I'd swap out artics from the #119 to have MCI's running on it, so that artics can run on the #320..... Lol at NJT running MCI's on the #125 due to the fleet change on the #119 though; the things that happen when your hands are forced.....

Edited by B35 via Church

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Commuter routes in general (should) get first dibs on the MCI's, which you think would be common sense....

Your point about the #119 is a good one.... The #119 clearly consistently carries more than the #320, and there's no way in hell I'd swap out artics from the #119 to have MCI's running on it, so that artics can run on the #320..... Lol at NJT running MCI's on the #125 due to the fleet change on the #119 though; the things that happen when your hands are forced.....

For real...lol...the 119 has everything running on it except mcis so far... mainly artics but nabis both surburban and transits from both greenville and meadow is on it...But that one monday evening i saw an MCI on the 123  and 125 and my only thought was cause of the takeover of the 119...But it wouldnt surprise me either if a MCI pop up on the 119 soon...

5 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Didn't someone say a while back that an MCI (with a lav at that) showed up on the 119 already?

IDK lol....You could be right BM5.....I havent seen it yet....The way meadowlands send out they buses it wouldnt surprise me...

On 5/20/2022 at 10:42 PM, Lawrence St said:

Like people read the sign anyway 🙄

On 5/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, 553 Bridgeton said:

They don’t want ops driving around with those signs confusing people during the non-summer months. Someone like me I dhd with a different sign everyday. 

When I was with Community and ended my 756 trip at Garden State Plaza, people would run up to my RTS Novabus then up goes my 423 WILMINGTON sign, and they all have that precious wtf look on their faces....

31 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

When I was with Community and ended my 756 trip at Garden State Plaza, people would run up to my RTS Novabus then up goes my 423 WILMINGTON sign, and they all have that precious wtf look on their faces....

Reminds me of a Hilton or Meadowlands driver that I used to see with a 703B sign up when going into the port, I was like wtf 😂

That old #423 got discontinued not too long after I started venturing deep into SNJ territory, so I never got a chance to ride it.... I do wonder how the route would've performed if it ran out of Millville via Vineland (or vice versa), or even Atlantic City via Millville & Vineland, instead of out of Penns Grove.... I get the sense that whatever demand (from more of NJ) to Wilmington was inhibited by the fact that it's too difficult for the vast majority of NJ patrons to even get to Penns Grove.....

On 8/7/2022 at 8:32 AM, B35 via Church said:

That old #423 got discontinued not too long after I started venturing deep into SNJ territory, so I never got a chance to ride it.... I do wonder how the route would've performed if it ran out of Millville via Vineland (or vice versa), or even Atlantic City via Millville & Vineland, instead of out of Penns Grove.... I get the sense that whatever demand (from more of NJ) to Wilmington was inhibited by the fact that it's too difficult for the vast majority of NJ patrons to even get to Penns Grove.....

I wonder if they ran the 423 to Christina Mall instead of Downtown Wilmington it would've done better. 

3 hours ago, jass said:

One of the easiest ways to simplify fares would be to merge zone 1 and 2, and make that $2, with a free transfer

Even without the free transfer, I am supportive of merging zone 1 and 2. Some routes like the 62 have really no business being two zones

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I wonder if they ran the 423 to Christina Mall instead of Downtown Wilmington it would've done better.

Couldn't have been any worse....

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Even without the free transfer, I am supportive of merging zone 1 and 2. Some routes like the 62 have really no business being two zones

I don't mind routes like the #1 & the #99 being 3 zones (but being that the #13 is a 2 zone route, I still question as to why that is).... I'd just like for these odd ass fare amounts to be done away with....

2 hours ago, nightmare402 said:

Honestly i wouldn't be surprised if they ordered more XD's

It would be so much better if NJ Transit ordered a couple hundred buses every year like NYMTA rather than huge orders to refresh the fleet at once... Orders that take serveral years to complete. The NABI and MCI orders are huge. That NABI order started like in 07/08 and didn't finish until like 2013. 

That way theres an balance where there's an mix of old and new buses.

Whatever they choose to replace the NABIs it will most likely be one order of one fleet of buses. I'd say they probably choose the XD40 to be uniform with the artic fleet. Then you only have to supply parts for three models of buses, NF, MCI and who ever is making buses for that pilot order of electric buses (Proterra? I forgot).

Edited by trainfan22

The weekday detour for most buses to and from Willowbrook Mall off Main Street onto Pompton Turnpike in Little Falls adds more buses (28, 191,794,705) to the 11/195 line up until Montclair Avenue.  When the detour first kicked off Little Falls gave no warning about the street closure (in true Jersey fashion), until I get across the railroad tracks (MOBO line) and there the sign lay.  Had to turn the bus wide and tiptoe through the subdivision to get back onto Pompton.  What a headache.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:12 AM, biGC323232 said:

For real...lol...the 119 has everything running on it except mcis so far... mainly artics but nabis both surburban and transits from both greenville and meadow is on it...But that one monday evening i saw an MCI on the 123  and 125 and my only thought was cause of the takeover of the 119...But it wouldnt surprise me either if a MCI pop up on the 119 soon...

Already happened

1 hour ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Already waiting for the question from clerk/depot master asking if I know the 119....