New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

I was talking to him in Atlantic City. He has a morning Atlantic City today.

He’s the consummate extra board guy.  I thought I wouldn’t have that experience to do another line until beginning of last pick when I was asked to do the 126.  I should stop my 7 day work blitz and take a 319 trip just to see how to do it.

On 9/2/2022 at 4:36 AM, B35 via Church said:

Just realized I missed this question (before I left that morning)...

I should've included "Roseville" in that (although you will hear Roseville more than Upper/Lower Roseville), but I was saying that they refer to their area as either North Newark or the North Ward.... I find, the former a little moreso than the latter.....

What neighborhoods do you hear specifically mentioned for Newark? I would imagine Forest Hill, Ironbound, and Weequahic get referenced a lot, but what about Fairmount, Springfield-Belmont, Clinton Hill (I imagine people wouldn't make a distinction between Upper/Lower), University Heights, North Broadway, etc

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

What neighborhoods do you hear specifically mentioned for Newark? I would imagine Forest Hill, Ironbound, and Weequahic get referenced a lot, but what about Fairmount, Springfield-Belmont, Clinton Hill (I imagine people wouldn't make a distinction between Upper/Lower), University Heights, North Broadway, etc

Well most people just say they're from Newark... It's not like here in NYC where folks are more prone to mentioning their neighborhood....

Of what I hear, it's mostly the Ironbound, Forest Hill, Ivy Hill, and Downtown explicitly referenced.

Well now that Washington Park has been renamed Harriet Tubman Square, the signs for Newark bound 59 buses has been updated to reflect that change. Yesterday saw a 59 with the revised signs:

59 Newark Harriet Tubman Pk

Ouch, they cancelled the last northbound #13...definitely not good...

Bus route 13B, the 12:30 AM departure from the Irvington Bus Terminal to Nutley, will not operate due to operator availability.

Bus route 13V, the 11:37 PM departure from Nutley to Irvington, will not operate due to operator availability.

Bus route 13B, the 10:30 PM departure from the Irvington Bus Terminal to Nutley, will not operate due to operator availability.

Also, here is the full list of routes that have new schedules for this pick: https://njtransit.com/service-advisory/1534989

New timetables will be posted for the following NJ TRANSIT Bus Routes:

Bus Route Nos. 10, 11/28, 25 (375), 26/52, 27, 29, 34, 39, 41, 48, 58, 59, 65/66, 67, 70, 71, 73, 80, 81, 87, 107, 112, 113, 114/117, 115, 116, 119, 123, 125, 126, 137, 144/145/148/164, 153/159, 155/168, 157/167/177, 158, 162/163/164, 165, 166, 313/315, 317, 319, 400, 406, 408, 409, 453, 507, 509, 551, 552, 600, 601, 611, 612, 702, 704, 705, 707, 709, 712, 722, 744, 746/748, 751/755, 752, 753, 756, 758, 762, 772, 780, 801/802/803/804/805.

Please note the following service changes:

On the bus routes mentioned above, trip times and service levels have been adjusted to reflect current travel experience and improve reliability.

Nos. 10 and 119 Weekdays:  Trip times adjusted to better reflect current travel conditions.

Nos. 67 and 137 Daily:  The limited seasonal service to/from Seaside Heights, Seaside Park and Island Beach State Park will be discontinued after September 5, 2022 (Labor Day). Select trips will be adjusted in coordination with the No. 319 schedules.

No. 165:  The routing through Westwood will be adjusted as of the town’s request.

Nos. 316 and 510 Daily:  Summer-only service will be discontinued after September 5, 2022 (Labor Day).

No. 453:  The route in Camden will be adjusted to begin and end on Riverside Drive instead of Federal Street.

No. 165:  The routing through Westwood will be adjusted as of the town’s request.

Interesting... Now it terminates in front of the Coach USA garage instead of over there by the Westwood RR station... Still think it should serve the hospital in some capacity, but regardless, I have to agree with the doing away of the old turnaround & layover scenario.... It was only a matter of time before this change was made.

MvDMNMz.gif

1 hour ago, BreeddekalbL said:

What is the purpose of the 128 is it the weekday blvd east supplement?

You answered your own question. It’s too take pressure of the blvd east lines and to supplement during rush hour. Without the 128 you could not have the 165,166,168 run express. The local that start at N Marginal are working against the New York rush hour while the 128s are going into the rush hour. 

1 hour ago, jass said:

Fright Fest buses have been posted a full 5 days in advance.

What is odd is that the bus leaves NYC at 2:30.....but the park opens at 5:30pm on Friday??? How slow is this bus

https://www.njtransit.com/sixflags

Anticipating traffic maybe?  It’s been getting bonkers out on the highway lately

15 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I wonder what its like on those 3 am runs from nyc on say the 159 the 166 anyone else im missing?

Not 3am specifically, but the #119, #126, #139, and the #190 also all have hawk trips (in general) out of PABT well past midnight....

Being that I start my NJ trips during the wee hours of the morning, I've done the #139 & the #190 the most.... #159 around that time I've never done (never knew it had a hawk, TBH).... #129 & #166 hawks, I haven't done in ages (the former, of which I'm not doing again on weekends)... #119 hawk I ride out to Bayonne from time to time....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Not 3am specifically, but the #119, #126, #139, and the #190 also all have hawk trips (in general) out of PABT well past midnight....

Being that I start my NJ trips during the wee hours of the morning, I've done the #139 & the #190 the most.... #159 around that time I've never done (never knew it had a hawk, TBH).... #129 & #166 hawks, I haven't done in ages (the former, of which I'm not doing again on weekends)... #119 hawk I ride out to Bayonne from time to time....

Supposedly i heard they were gonna make the 161 a hawk run

What are those runs like, are they crowded etc? 

So I found out the detour of the 192/199 through Nutley will go longer due to the contract construction company going bankrupt and poor construction of the Kingsland Road Bridge (it was supposed to be finished in July after a year).  Word is they’ll have to tear down and start all over

18 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

So I found out the detour of the 192/199 through Nutley will go longer due to the contract construction company going bankrupt and poor construction of the Kingsland Road Bridge (it was supposed to be finished in July after a year).  Word is they’ll have to tear down and start all over

*Swears in Filipino*🤬 what else is new 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

So I saw a #96 pass by the northern end of Roseville Avenue with about 3 people on board and a "Standing Room Only" sign. Does the #96 typically get crowded around school hours and if so, is it only around West Side High School?

Some ops put the standing room only sign on purpose. Or it could have been left on from a previous trip or previous day.