New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

What is with certain operators flying out of the gates in the Port Authority!?! This is why I hate doing NYC routes. 

Most of the times it’s Howell and  gate 211/212 Oradell, Meadowlands ops. 

this is the least of my concern, these ops still parking on the UBL.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

4 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Most of the times it’s Howell and  gate 211/212 Oradell, Meadowlands ops. 

this is the least of my concern, these ops still parking on the UBL.

My biggest concern is on the XBL on that first curve around the helix. I’ve seen so many new guys go over the pillars and nearly Mack my mirror. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

My biggest concern is on the XBL on that first curve around the helix. I’ve seen so many new guys go over the pillars and nearly Mack my mirror. 

Not even a bus operator, but I definitely feel you on that bro. At times I feel like that XBL lane has shrunk. Be careful bus ops on that XBL and the opposite traffic coming your way, especially other bus ops and truck drivers 

5 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

Not even a bus operator, but I definitely feel you on that bro. At times I feel like that XBL lane has shrunk. Be careful bus ops on that XBL and the opposite traffic coming your way, especially other bus ops and truck drivers 

It has shrunk. NJT should have gotten the 96 inch width MCI's, it would have been a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

So, while driving on a Fairview route (not gonna say which one), this lady got on the bus wanting to get off at stop B. Mind you, NJT discontinued stop A a few months ago. So I make an announcement that stop A is discontinued and that you have to use Stop C as an alternative. 

This lady darts up to the front of the bus, shoves her entire head and phone in the drivers compartment and starts screaming. I stop and I’m like what’s wrong!? She’s telling me she’s been riding this bus for x amount of years and that she’s never heard of stop A being discontinued. I asked her, aren’t you getting off at stop B? She says yes, so I’m like ok so why are you making an issue out of a stop your not even getting off at? So what does she do, she somehow manages to get the phone number for the dispatch office and calls them up saying I’m confusing passengers and that she’s been riding this bus for x amount of years and she’s never heard of this stop being discontinued. 

And mind you, I’m just sitting here like…I know this lady ain’t serious right now. This is out of control with some of these folks…

21 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So, while driving on a Fairview route (not gonna say which one), this lady got on the bus wanting to get off at stop B. Mind you, NJT discontinued stop A a few months ago. So I make an announcement that stop A is discontinued and that you have to use Stop C as an alternative. 

This lady darts up to the front of the bus, shoves her entire head and phone in the drivers compartment and starts screaming. I stop and I’m like what’s wrong!? She’s telling me she’s been riding this bus for x amount of years and that she’s never heard of stop A being discontinued. I asked her, aren’t you getting off at stop B? She says yes, so I’m like ok so why are you making an issue out of a stop your not even getting off at? So what does she do, she somehow manages to get the phone number for the dispatch office and calls them up saying I’m confusing passengers and that she’s been riding this bus for x amount of years and she’s never heard of this stop being discontinued. 

And mind you, I’m just sitting here like…I know this lady ain’t serious right now. This is out of control with some of these folks…

I would have told her: Miss I forgive you.  In your defense, the full moon is out...

On 10/13/2022 at 8:49 PM, Lawrence St said:

...in other words, she's embarrassed that she's ignorant to the situation (that particular stop getting discontinued).... Making a scene out of something relatively minor in the grand scheme of things (that really has little to nothing to do you with you as the b/o)..... I've been on too many buses throughout the course of life to spot this shit other passengers pull a mile away.....

Unless she gave out specific details that would've identified you as the b/o of that particular trip on that phone call (and/or put hands on you), the nature of her call to the dispatch office would've had me (mentally) write the whole thing off as much ado about nothing....

I gotta say though, you only fueled the fire when you said " so why are you making an issue out of a stop your not even getting off at?"... That's one of those things where, even if you may be thinking that, you're better off swallowing it (meaning, not even verbalizing that thought)... It's truly bizarre how everybody wanna be victims nowadays...

--------------------------------

For the sake of discussion though, two things:

1. How close is stop A (the discontinued stop) to stop B (the stop she wanted to get off at) ?
  2. What relation is stop B to stop C? I'm asking that because if stop b is between stop a & stop c (being that the letter b in the alphabet is between letter a & letter c), why would passengers be directed to disembarking at stop c?

12 hours ago, 46Dover said:

I would have told her: Miss I forgive you.  In your defense, the full moon is out...

It 'ont even take a full moon to transform to werewolf anymore....

Edited by B35 via Church

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

...in other words, she's embarrassed that she's ignorant to the situation (that particular stop getting discontinued).... Making a scene out of something relatively minor in the grand scheme of things (that really has little to nothing to do you with you as the b/o)..... I've been on too many buses throughout the course of life to spot this shit other passengers pull a mile away.....

Unless she gave out specific details that would've identified you as the b/o of that particular trip on that phone call (and/or put hands on you), the nature of her call to the dispatch office would've had me (mentally) write the whole thing off as much ado about nothing....

I gotta say though, you only fueled the fire when you said " so why are you making an issue out of a stop your not even getting off at?"... That's one of those things where, even if you may be thinking that, you're better off swallowing it (meaning, not even verbalizing that thought)... It's truly bizarre how everybody wanna be victims nowadays...

--------------------------------

For the sake of discussion though, two things:

1. How close is stop A (the discontinued stop) to stop B (the stop she wanted to get off at) ?
  2. What relation is stop B to stop C? I'm asking that because if stop b is between stop a & stop c (being that the letter b in the alphabet is between letter a & letter c), why would passengers be directed to disembarking at stop c?

It 'ont even take a full moon to transform to werewolf anymore....

Oh, she did. She called up my dispatcher and said bus 99999 at specific location. So what do they do? They call me up saying thats a stop, no it isn't, YOU were the ones who told me the stop is discontinued. So as usual, one person isn't on the same page as the other, and the lady thinks shes in the right talking smack about me with the other passengers. This also happened with a 319 operator a few months ago, where southern & northern control center weren't on the same page with each other regarding a breakdown and the northern control was about to write the operator up and take them out of service.

And stop B is before stop A. It goes B A and C. I know, I should have done it alphabetically. 

It would be nice if they put it in the service advisories that the Newark light rail was being replaced by shuttle buses (the only advisory shown is for RiverLine) If I didn't see those shuttle buses in-person I wouldn't have even realized the light rail was shutdown. (It would be nice if they at lesst put the schedule and ideally had them trackable like the rest of the bus routes)

On Sunday, October 16 from 8AM to 2PM, Broad Street will be closed between Mulberry and Washington streets for the Newark Breast Cancer Walk. During this time, NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 62 in Newark will operate on a detour as follows:

Buses traveling toward Newark Airport/Elizabeth will travel from Raymond Boulevard and McCarter Highway, make a right on McCarter Highway, bear right onto the ramp for Lombardy Street, continue straight to Broad Street, make a right on Broad Street, left on Lackawanna Avenue, left on University Avenue, right on Clinton Avenue, left on Astor Street, right on Broad Street, and then continue the regular route.

Buses traveling toward Newark Penn Station will travel from Routes 1&9 and McCarter Highway, continue on McCarter Highway, make a right on Raymond Boulevard, and then continue the regular route.   

Note: Bus stops may be lost during this detour. Please read the above detour directions carefully and allow for extra travel time.

We appreciate your patience as we accommodate this temporary routing adjustment.

these are alot of turns on the 62 to Elizabeth lol

Is ONE Bus back to its normal schedule? I see this schedule that shows the #44 bus running once an hour for pretty much the whole day (last updated 6/29/20). It's good to see that they made an effort to at least input the data into Google Maps, but they seem to only show the timepoints on the routes rather than the individual stops.

On a side note, for anyone who needs to use the Newark Light Rail shuttle buses on the weekend, the buses leave on :15, :35, and :55 from Grove Street, and on :05, :25, and :45 from Newark Penn. Buses take Raymond Blvd - Lock Street - New Street - Norfolk Street - Orange Street - First Street - Park Avenue - Lake Street - Bloomfield Avenue - North 6th Street - Franklin Avenue - Ropes Place - North 5th Street - Franklin Avenue - Franklin Street - Watsessing Avenue - Grove Street (basically, the closest local streets to the light rail, including the loop at the Branch Brook Park station). Last bus is 12:55am from Grove Street and 1:25am from Newark Penn Station. 

15 minutes ago, PrometheusEngineer said:

Hey all!!!
Long time creepy stalking lurker here.
Was wondering if there is a dedicated thread for the NJ Transit's Loco Engineer Training Program (LETP)?  I applied and would love to know more info about it if there's a forum on this.  or is here the best place to ask?  THANKS!!!!

No but @553 Bridgeton iirc applied for the program but he is in too long as a b/o to in essence to start over 

53 minutes ago, PrometheusEngineer said:

Hey all!!!
Long time creepy stalking lurker here.
Was wondering if there is a dedicated thread for the NJ Transit's Loco Engineer Training Program (LETP)?  I applied and would love to know more info about it if there's a forum on this.  or is here the best place to ask?  THANKS!!!!

I'm currently in the program. How can I help?

On 10/19/2022 at 9:30 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

https://njtransit.com/service-advisory/1540241

So effective November 7th, the #67B will be eliminated and certain #319 trips will travel via Dorado Park & Ride to make up for it.

Ok, so upon peeping the link, the JSQ/Newark #319 trips will serve Dorado.... For a second there, I thought that they were going to add yet another stop to the NYC #319 trips....

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

No but @553 Bridgeton iirc applied for the program but he is in too long as a b/o to in essence to start over 

yea....... i mean.   that's how life sucks.....u get too comfy in a good position and don't wanna leave and explore but.  some of us are crazy gamblers!!! and sometimes when you gamble.....you get burned so it evens up i guess!

2 hours ago, go25 said:

hey dude!  I'll ask the questions that my tortured heart is telling me to ask.  Much appreciated!!  

1)  How do you like the program?  enjoying it?  Is it more or less what you expected?  fun? exciting? or is it so difficult and harsh that it makes you question your existence? 
2)  I'm a Train Operator for NYC Subways.....in your humble opinion.....is it such a high risk leaving a job as a T/O to become a Loco Engineer?  Failing the LETP....will mean losing the subways job.  Again your humble opinion!  Assume being a train operator isn't the best job in the world and leaving it won't be an issue for me.
3)  Culture is super important.  How is NJ Transit's culture?  friendly,nice,caring?  Or are they a crime against humanity?  trust me i got STORIES from subways in NYC-Transit for ya!!
4)  How's commuting?  do you find yourself driving for hours on end trying to get to the training grounds to learn/post?  How is getting to the Yards/Terminals for you?  Where is a good place to live/rent out an apt during the 14-20 months of training?

Well that's all the questions I got for tonight.  Anyone who wants to lay down some cold hard facts be my guest!!  TIA.

5 hours ago, go25 said:

Some more JUICY questions I thought of!

6)   When you are on Extra Board time.....can you be on Extra board at home?
7)   If you "clear" extra broad.....do you have 8 hours before the next Board time beings?  
8)   How often do you "clear" extra board?  Or is it rare like a unicorn
9)   Do you have "sign" in with dispatch/terminal when you report to your job/wherever extra board tells you to report?
10  Do you have to "sign out" after you complete your trip/run for the day?
11)  Do you have to take signals/qualifying tests once a year to keep your job/license as a Loco Engineer?
Again thanks so much!

15 hours ago, PrometheusEngineer said:

Some more JUICY questions I thought of!

6)   When you are on Extra Board time.....can you be on Extra board at home?
7)   If you "clear" extra broad.....do you have 8 hours before the next Board time beings?  
8)   How often do you "clear" extra board?  Or is it rare like a unicorn
9)   Do you have "sign" in with dispatch/terminal when you report to your job/wherever extra board tells you to report?
10  Do you have to "sign out" after you complete your trip/run for the day?
11)  Do you have to take signals/qualifying tests once a year to keep your job/license as a Loco Engineer?
Again thanks so much!

Appreciate the enthusiasm, just send me a message and I'll answer all the questions to the best of my knowledge