New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

44 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'd like to know what's going on with Community Coach, period... I'm not joining any mailing list to get a schedule of what's supposed to be a public bus route....

A bus route with like 100 deviations...the 77, 77X, 77XE, 77ZF, 77RE, like what the heck?? Lmao.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What (almost) happened to that Charlton D'Souza dude (he's the guy that founded that "Passengers United" transit advocacy group) early this morning apparently at AC, is the reason I don't take those late night #319's back to NYC - especially in the summer time, man forget it.... Whenever I do my South Jersey trips, I make it a habit to do my #409 to the NEC, back to NYC... As much as I despise the NEC, I'll put up with that, over being assed out over a missed #319 trip, and/or a trip I can't board due to overcrowding.... Either that, or the #317 to the #139 back to NYC from Camden or Philly (crazy enough, I find myself getting the same driver on that 5-ish pm #317 trip out of Philly).... Anyway, from AC, there's always the #559 to the #139, but that's about a cumulative 5 hour ride alone.... You're not gonna get most people to do that.... Charlton is lucky that b/o let him on & I'm surprised he ended up getting a seat out of the ordeal....

* The one question I do have though (that Charlton ended up asking) is that, can you take an AC - PABT ticket you purchased for the #319 & use it to board the #559 & the #139 without an issue? I guess that would be considered cross honoring, but it never crossed my mind to want to do that.... Never mind the fact that you out yourself about 10 bucks doing that....

My favorite part of the video here though is the minor altercation Charlton got into with some drunk dude (start the video at 10:50).... I kept saying I agree with ole boy (the drunk guy)... Tryna play captain everybody can get your ass punched in the mouth... People are already pissed that they've been waiting mad long for a bus & there's that nervous energy that they might not be able to get on the bus on top of it, due to the crowds.... In other words, tensions are high at that point.... Basically, STFU.... Youtube got everybody tryna be bootleg news reporters & shit....

As for Pinepower, his solution to increase service on the #319 during late nights is to take service off one of the #55_ routes (of course he didn't declare which route should have service taken away from it, because he doesn't know wtf he's talking about)..... He started talking about the #552 (29:00 mark of the video), but fell back on that....

Watching this video, I can't figure out if this whole phenomenon was due to a no show on Greyhound's part, or if most of those people's intent was to take the #319 from jump.... I may have missed any mentions of it, but I can't tell what time everything's occurring throughout the video..... Either way, I will never understand people that blindly embark on public transit without knowing their options/having a backup plan.... To keep it a buck, it's not NJT's responsibility to clean up Greyhound's mess (which is basically what Pinepower kept implicating throughout the video).... I don't agree that there should be all night service on the #319, but I could've swore there was something leaving between 12 & 4am.... Like around 1 - 1:30 or something.... At least there used to be....

At 17:55 of the video, Charlton's asking the cop "Are you sure" there's a connecting bus at Lakewood (He kept asking about a 12:30 bus).... Smh.... The cop was likely referring to that 12:30am #559 to Lakewood, which I've taken a couple times... It actually gets to Lakewood around 2:30 (instead of 2:40, like the schedule shows), but you still got a wait on your hands for the next #139 out.... Charlton kept referencing contacting a Kevin Covitt?/Covett (whoever that is), but I am interested to see what, if anything, ends up happening with #319 service because of this jackleg reporter - slash - transit advocate's occurrence here.....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Charlton kept referencing contacting a Kevin Covitt?/Covett (whoever that is), but I am interested to see what, if anything, ends up happening with #319 service because of this jackleg reporter - slash - transit advocate's occurrence here.....

Maybe he means Kevin Corbett, the Executive Director of NJT

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What (almost) happened to that Charlton D'Souza dude (he's the guy that founded that "Passengers United" transit advocacy group) early this morning apparently at AC, is the reason I don't take those late night #319's back to NYC - especially in the summer time, man forget it.... Whenever I do my South Jersey trips, I make it a habit to do my #409 to the NEC, back to NYC... As much as I despise the NEC, I'll put up with that, over being assed out over a missed #319 trip, and/or a trip I can't board due to overcrowding.... Either that, or the #317 to the #139 back to NYC from Camden or Philly (crazy enough, I find myself getting the same driver on that 5-ish pm #317 trip out of Philly).... Anyway, from AC, there's always the #559 to the #139, but that's about a cumulative 5 hour ride alone.... You're not gonna get most people to do that.... Charlton is lucky that b/o let him on & I'm surprised he ended up getting a seat out of the ordeal....

* The one question I do have though (that Charlton ended up asking) is that, can you take an AC - PABT ticket you purchased for the #319 & use it to board the #559 & the #139 without an issue? I guess that would be considered cross honoring, but it never crossed my mind to want to do that.... Never mind the fact that you out yourself about 10 bucks doing that....

My favorite part of the video here though is the minor altercation Charlton got into with some drunk dude (start the video at 10:50).... I kept saying I agree with ole boy (the drunk guy)... Tryna play captain everybody can get your ass punched in the mouth... People are already pissed that they've been waiting mad long for a bus & there's that nervous energy that they might not be able to get on the bus on top of it, due to the crowds.... In other words, tensions are high at that point.... Basically, STFU.... Youtube got everybody tryna be bootleg news reporters & shit....

As for Pinepower, his solution to increase service on the #319 during late nights is to take service off one of the #55_ routes (of course he didn't declare which route should have service taken away from it, because he doesn't know wtf he's talking about)..... He started talking about the #552 (29:00 mark of the video), but fell back on that....

Watching this video, I can't figure out if this whole phenomenon was due to a no show on Greyhound's part, or if most of those people's intent was to take the #319 from jump.... I may have missed any mentions of it, but I can't tell what time everything's occurring throughout the video..... Either way, I will never understand people that blindly embark on public transit without knowing their options/having a backup plan.... To keep it a buck, it's not NJT's responsibility to clean up Greyhound's mess (which is basically what Pinepower kept implicating throughout the video).... I don't agree that there should be all night service on the #319, but I could've swore there was something leaving between 12 & 4am.... Like around 1 - 1:30 or something.... At least there used to be....

At 17:55 of the video, Charlton's asking the cop "Are you sure" there's a connecting bus at Lakewood (He kept asking about a 12:30 bus).... Smh.... The cop was likely referring to that 12:30am #559 to Lakewood, which I've taken a couple times... It actually gets to Lakewood around 2:30 (instead of 2:40, like the schedule shows), but you still got a wait on your hands for the next #139 out.... Charlton kept referencing contacting a Kevin Covitt?/Covett (whoever that is), but I am interested to see what, if anything, ends up happening with #319 service because of this jackleg reporter - slash - transit advocate's occurrence here.....

Half the time that guy, PinePowerLI is talking off his ass. He should stick to NICE Bus rants

1 hour ago, 46Dover said:

Maybe he means Kevin Corbett, the Executive Director of NJT

Yep, that would tend to make sense... I couldn't make out what he was saying there with his accent (also didn't help that I had no clue who the head of NJT even was).

For a second, I thought he was saying Kevin COVID... I'm like, who tf is that supposed to be?!?!? :lol::lol:

8 hours ago, 46Dover said:

You know, I used to do the same thing to send whoever wanted to go to Willowbrook from 308 to 306 (late evenings) for the express until it dawned on me that some folks (and the case if I had to do the daytime trips off Gate 234) may want to get off on North Leg or Willowbrook Blvd.  Especially now since it would seem that everyone is coming back riding the buses again, it also helps to alleviate loads for said express lines to just go ahead and board those locals.

Speaking of which, something I'm going to try to stop doing is gunning for the Wayne expresses when I end my trips at Willowbrook Mall & doing the #191 or #195 instead... Those crowds at the commuter stop for the expresses back to PABT, oooof...... Certain things I do on pure instinct & that's one of them.... That, or doing the godforsaken #11 to Newark Penn for the PATH (I can never catch the #28... It's always the frickin #11 that arrives first)...

OTOH, it do be less than a handful of people I see boarding #191's or #195 over there by the shelters for the local (as in, intrastate) routes....

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

A bus route with like 100 deviations...the 77, 77X, 77XE, 77ZF, 77RE, like what the heck?? Lmao.

Lmao.... That reminds me of the #165 & the crap ton of variants that route has.

5 minutes ago, go25 said:

Half the time that guy, PinePowerLI is talking off his ass. He should stick to NICE Bus rants

All he do is talk out of his ass - even in his NICE bus rants....

He sees those buses in the background on layover & inquires why can't one of those buses up & do a trip to NYC.... Nevermind every single one of those #55_ routes are 2 hours plus (well, except for the #551, but still pretty close to it).... But yeah, an op' is just supposed to abandon their well earned layover time so his boy Charlton (who he ironically had beef with at one point earlier this year) can be accommodated... He also mentioned that Egg Harbor isn't too far away, so why can't they just send a bus over & help out - as if there's an assembly line of b/o's on standby at the garage at that god damn time of the night....

This is what we're dealing with here....

who ever the poor soul that got roped into doing a 113x to planefield from howell i bet that is a long deadhead back to the garage coach 19123. is this one of those they say to howell ay send us a driver we need one to pick up a 113x RUN

Edited by BreeddekalbL

On 7/5/2022 at 5:32 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

who ever the poor soul that got roped into doing a 113x to planefield from howell i bet that is a long deadhead back to the garage coach 19123. is this one of those they say to howell ay send us a driver we need one to pick up a 113x RUN

Howell gets trippers everyday. They have the most manpower out of all 16 garages. They do alot of the 116 trippers in the am and pm. Howell literally does everything. 112,113,114,115,116,126,128,130-139, 165, 308,319,321. They are literally all over the state from Westwood to Atlantic City. 

They get 112-116 based on needs for the day. Any extra work that ironbound gets every pick that they can’t handle it goes to Howell.

Also they just dhd down the park to exit 123 and take 9. It’s not really a long dhd. I dhd from egg harbor to ny to do my 445 to cape may then dhd back to eht. 4hrs of dhd.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

10 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Howell gets trippers everyday. They have the most manpower out of all 16 garages. They do alot of the 116 trippers in the am and pm. Howell literally does everything. 112,113,114,115,116,126,128,130-139, 165, 308,319,321. They are literally all over the state from Westwood to Atlantic City. 

They get 112-116 based on needs for the day. Any extra work that ironbound gets every pick that they can’t handle it goes to Howell.

Also they just dhd down the park to exit 123 and take 9. It’s not really a long dhd. I dhd from egg harbor to ny to do my 445 to cape may then dhd back to eht. 4hrs of dhd.

On the topic of manpower i saw a fairview bus doing a 165 on the tracker

52 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can someone explain why the 756 does that weird detour on New Bridge Road by going up on River Rd instead of across?

* Short answer: To serve New Milford.

* Longer answer: The #756 short turns used to bypass New Milford (with the trips that did the full route from Englewood Cliffs to Bergen CC doing that diversion to serve New Milford).... According to this map of Teaneck from the township's website, the Teaneck/New Milford border in that immediate area in question is along New Bridge Rd (top-right-most part of the map).... But yeah, at some point, NJT lifted that New Milford bypass for the short turn #756's.... In other words, now all #756 trips during the day serve New Milford.....

Now when that service change happened exactly, I couldn't tell you... But I do remember the short turn #756's doing exactly what you're inquiring the #756 in general should do instead.....

Edited by B35 via Church

12 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

* Short answer: To serve New Milford.

* Longer answer: The #756 short turns used to bypass New Milford (with the trips that did the full route from Englewood Cliffs to Bergen CC doing that diversion to serve New Milford).... According to this map of Teaneck from the township's website, the Teaneck/New Milford border in that immediate area in question is along New Bridge Rd (top-right-most part of the map).... But yeah, at some point, NJT lifted that New Milford bypass for the short turn #756's.... In other words, now all #756 trips during the day serve New Milford.....

Now when that service change happened exactly, I couldn't tell you... But I do remember the short turn #756's doing exactly what you're inquiring the #756 in general should do instead.....

Got it, I asked because a driver told me it was because of a town ordinance that prevented buses from going across.

Forgot to mention this earlier today. Back to back days of Fairview's ex-Wayne MCIs on the 175 and 171 respectfully. Saturday coach 9007 was on the 175. Told myself the reason for that is because of Market Street's bus broke down at either Bridge Plaza or at G.W.B. Well today, I saw coach 9016 on the 171. Again, another broke down trash of Market Street or could it be Fairview is moving some of their 9000s to Market Street. Now I know during the weekdays Wayne has help out Market Street Garage with trips on the local lines, such as route 74. I was on a couple of those trips with an MCI. Second, there could be some trippers that Wayne has on the 171 or 175 during the rush

9 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

@46Dover who uses the dreaded gate 230 outside when the 195 does 

Whats this i heard that they are working on Market st  garage cause i saw someone post a video of a wayne bus doing a 704B 

1. Not sure if anyone does 

2. Not surprised.  A friend of mine from Lakeland is designated 74 driver with an MCI.

15 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

Forgot to mention this earlier today. Back to back days of Fairview's ex-Wayne MCIs on the 175 and 171 respectfully. Saturday coach 9007 was on the 175. Told myself the reason for that is because of Market Street's bus broke down at either Bridge Plaza or at G.W.B. Well today, I saw coach 9016 on the 171. Again, another broke down trash of Market Street or could it be Fairview is moving some of their 9000s to Market Street. Now I know during the weekdays Wayne has help out Market Street Garage with trips on the local lines, such as route 74. I was on a couple of those trips with an MCI. Second, there could be some trippers that Wayne has on the 171 or 175 during the rush

I saw 9016 on the 171 on the tracker. But I got a question tho: Why do I see MCIs appearing on local lines such as the 704B or the 74/72 and such?

On 7/4/2022 at 6:18 PM, B35 via Church said:

I think there were some casino promotions/as well as some firework/performances during that July 4th weekend that contributed to the crowds. But the late evening trips 10:30pm, 12am trips was always busy even on a normal summer weekend. But in general they should run the 319 more frequently after 8PM (maybe every hour instead of every 90 minutes).

What Pinepower/Charlton doesn't seem to understand is that buses don't move themselves. Yes you have buses available, but what about the drivers? Also what happen when you get to NY? You have to bring the bus back down to South Jersey. Its easy to say you should have buses on standby, but that means an operator has to be on standby too, and depending on the contract, that could get expensive, especially if you end up not needing the extra service. 

It also can't be Greyhound because their last trip left in the late afternoon. They used to run alot more trips to AC, but they never restored that amount of service post COVID. Plus their service is catered towards bring people from NYC to AC in the morning but not from AC (because there is no evening trip, most likely riders would take GH to AC to get the casino bonus), so all these return riders end up on the 319 as well

As for an AC ticket, if you bought the RT excursion fare ticket for $42 I believe you actually end up saving money versus paying 559 to 139. That being said, I fanned the 559 to the 139 (well I started in Cape May). Will not do again lol... wayy too long of a ride, and the transfer at Lakewood sucks because the transfers are never coordinated. Doesn't help that I took it at night too, and waiting an hour at Lakewood bus terminal is an hour too much at 12am in the night

That being said, its weird NJT doesn't allow standees on the 319? I was on a Trans-Bridge bus that same weekend, and the bus was packed, meaning all seat full, standees from rear to front white line. I feel bad for the people paying $45 bucks to stand for 3 hours from Easton, PA to PABT and with tunnel traffic on top of that

The thing with passengers United is their tendency to complain about everything. Even on topics they know very little about. I mean they are literally fighting with Riders Alliance lol, I am not sure what that is about...

Edited by Mtatransit

58 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I think there were some casino promotions/as well as some firework/performances during that July 4th weekend that contributed to the crowds. But the late evening trips 10:30pm, 12am trips was always busy even on a normal summer weekend. But in general they should run the 319 more frequently after 8PM (maybe every hour instead of every 90 minutes).

What Pinepower/Charlton doesn't seem to understand is that buses don't move themselves. Yes you have buses available, but what about the drivers? Also what happen when you get to NY? You have to bring the bus back down to South Jersey. Its easy to say you should have buses on standby, but that means an operator has to be on standby too, and depending on the contract, that could get expensive, especially if you end up not needing the extra service. 

It also can't be Greyhound because their last trip left in the late afternoon. They used to run alot more trips to AC, but they never restored that amount of service post COVID. Plus their service is catered towards bring people from NYC to AC in the morning but not from AC (because there is no evening trip, most likely riders would take GH to AC to get the casino bonus), so all these return riders end up on the 319 as well

As for an AC ticket, if you bought the RT excursion fare ticket for $42 I believe you actually end up saving money versus paying 559 to 139. That being said, I fanned the 559 to the 139 (well I started in Cape May). Will not do again lol... wayy too long of a ride, and the transfer at Lakewood sucks because the transfers are never coordinated. Doesn't help that I took it at night too, and waiting an hour at Lakewood bus terminal is an hour too much at 12am in the night

That being said, its weird NJT doesn't allow standees on the 319? I was on a Trans-Bridge bus that same weekend, and the bus was packed, meaning all seat full, standees from rear to front white line. I feel bad for the people paying $45 bucks to stand for 3 hours from Easton, PA to PABT and with tunnel traffic on top of that

The thing with passengers United is their tendency to complain about everything. Even on topics they know very little about. I mean they are literally fighting with Riders Alliance lol, I am not sure what that is about...

The Garden State Parkway is a madhouse with cars cutting buses off. It’s understandable why they have no standees on the 319.

Have they fired the person who decided to order articulated buses with just 2 doors?

Or is it intentional to create the longest possible running time? Riding the 1 or 13 when its crowded means every two blocks youre stopped for 2+ minutes as people struggle to get off.

9 hours ago, 46Dover said:

1. Not sure if anyone does 

2. Not surprised.  A friend of mine from Lakeland is designated 74 driver with an MCI.

and i saw a video of a 186 being ran by a fairview coach 22067 and that route belongs to market street also correct?

Edited by BreeddekalbL

1 hour ago, jass said:

Have they fired the person who decided to order articulated buses with just 2 doors?

Or is it intentional to create the longest possible running time? Riding the 1 or 13 when its crowded means every two blocks youre stopped for 2+ minutes as people struggle to get off.

They probably wanted maximum seating capacity. I don't think Fairview riders would appreciate having to stand on busy runs out of PABT. It's bad enough they got their suburban Neoplans replaced with hard seat buses and now you wanna reduce seating too!?!

I have no idea why NJT spec'd their artics with two doors I'm just guessing lol

On 7/11/2022 at 5:23 PM, trainfan22 said:

They probably wanted maximum seating capacity. I don't think Fairview riders would appreciate having to stand on busy runs out of PABT. It's bad enough they got their suburban Neoplans replaced with hard seat buses and now you wanna reduce seating too!?!

I have no idea why NJT spec'd their artics with two doors I'm just guessing lol

While there are certainly runs where maximum sitting capacity is key (like you said, leaving PABT), there are other runs like the 1 and the 13 where maximum door capacity is what is needed since people get on and off every block. And standing would be easier if the run didnt take so long due to the lack of doors

On 7/11/2022 at 2:23 PM, sidthesomeone said:

I saw 9016 on the 171 on the tracker. But I got a question tho: Why do I see MCIs appearing on local lines such as the 704B or the 74/72 and such?

I'm sure the dispatch contact any Wayne driver's that are free from their regular trips and ask if they want to do a round trip or more on certain local lines from Market Street. The reason for this I believe is because of driver shortage due to call outs. That's why you'll see some cancelled trips due to "driver unavailability". It's why in the past you may see an artic on route 26 and route 99. From a driver's point a view who elects to do extra trips, there's nothing wrong of making your paycheck fatter. From a passengers standpoint, you'll get a treat of riding an MCI on a local line and grateful that your trip is not cancelled 

The night from hell that could have been worse: (cue gazoo noise)

I took a ride into Bay Ridge to visit friends I rode a 192 bus deadheading from Wayne garage starting at Clifton to Port Authority then using (N) (R46 set) and an (R) (R160s).  Round trip.  Late that afternoon I took a ride on the 119 out of Port Authority on the New Flyer Xcelsiors.  Which is nice since they had working USB ports and my iPhone was low on battery.  Run the full length and get the 10 at Bayonne to go to Jersey City (Suburban NABI).  Get off at Journal Square and take the (PATH) to Newark.  Next plan is to get the 11 to Willowbrook Mall and make a connection to the 198 to go near my job (where I parked my car).  Well, I’m on the wrong side of Newark Penn and miss the 11.  Ok no problem, I’ll get the 28.  It only goes to Montclair State University?  Ok no problem, get the last train to Mount Olive and go to Wayne Transit Center.  Pass an Emergency Vehicle setup along Bloomfield Ave (thought nothing of it at the time).  Get to MSU and made my way to Montclair Heights.  I wait 10 minutes, then 20 minutes,  so I put out a bolo on Facebook to see if anyone knows what’s going on (the app has no info at all).  Come to find out the emergency vehicles seen earlier served a purpose after all:  Fire along the MOBO line at Glen Ridge.  NY-MSU train cancelled.  My train to Wayne Transit Center is 50 minutes late.  Around the corner is the last bus to Newark from MSU (28).  Next plan is to catch the 72 to go to Paterson and catch whoever was done for the night going back to Wayne garage.  Operator puts me off a full mile (or two) before a spot where I’m supposed to get off.  Cue a long walk down Bloomfield Avenue (which included some brisk walks mixed in with all out sprints), but I made it to Broad and Belleville with 3 minutes time to spare.  The last 72 bus is operated by a former co worker of mine from Lakeland and so we caught up as we were moving along.  Found a 190 going back to Wayne and thus ended a night that could’ve gone badly wrong 🤦‍♂️