New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, go25 said:

That's the old 1X, btw. It goes express from MLK Blvd to 18th Ave & 13th Street (both directions)

Wait, so there's no pickups or dropoffs of any sort between that stretch now?

It used to be no pickups between that stretch towards Newark-Penn during the AM rush & no dropoffs between that stretch towards Ivy Hill during the PM rush....

Make this another Washington Township Bus down. 18037 in an accident earlier.

https://www.facebook.com/150142211681401/posts/pfbid036cSs7dtD3UMTWne56J8CtgXFxMjZWYsyQXKfX6HELoeFU9be9WgwANct1MUTh29Ml/?d=n

And 5952 was involved in a minor collision earlier this week:

https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/several-injured-nj-transit-bus-crash-irvington

Edited by DCTransitFilms

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Wait, so there's no pickups or dropoffs of any sort between that stretch now?

It used to be no pickups between that stretch towards Newark-Penn during the AM rush & no dropoffs between that stretch towards Ivy Hill during the PM rush....

Yeah, hence the express part. No pickups or drop-offs in that segment

On 8/22/2022 at 9:51 PM, jass said:

Its not entitlement, it's piss poor design by NJT.

NYC buses have a full color screen (like a TV) showing upcoming stops. Why cant NJT provide information to customers? Why on earth are they sending out new buses with the same (usually static) red LED screen from 1981?

MTA_Bus_653_Interior_Displays_04_-_Parso

Speaking of, Im trying to find info on the fare between Newark+Seaside Heights. As far as I can tell, the pdf map doesnt show fare zones. The trip planner says $17, but no info on zones. The app does not give seaside heights as an option, just asks for the number of zones. The fare chart on the website? Doesnt show any fare costing $17.

How are they so bad at giving info on their services?

Seaside is a special fare. When you buy the tickets there is no zone on it, it says SSH, but technically it is 19 zones. But you cannot ride a bus to seaside with a 19 zone ticket, it must say SSH. When you purchase the ticket from a TVM, you put in route 67(Journal Sq/Newark) or 137(PABT) then origin and destination. 

On 8/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, Lawrence St said:

I covered an 83 run for Meadowlands a few months ago, and there’s a section along Bergen Turnpike in the northbound direction that has no stops (IIRC between Union Turnpike and Toneele HBLR) and the first day I did it, someone rang the bell but I didn’t see no stop so I kept going. Then all of a sudden I hear someone scream STOP and that scared the absolute shit out of me. I stopped the bus and said what happened!?! She comes up and says to let her off because I passed her stop. I told her that’s why you screamed!?! There is no stop here next stop is the HBLR station. Then she got into a rant saying how every other driver stops there then proceeded to get her phone out, shove it in the drivers compartment to take my photo. Then when I got there I opened the door and told everyone I will not be stopping at any point along Bergen Turnpike if there’s no bus stop pole or sign. It’s not even programmed into the GTFS feed. For the whole week it was the same issue. I’m glad I don’t have to do that nonsense anymore, let me stay on my 1, 25 and 70.

A side note; why do people have the need to scream STOP when the bus is moving??? Do they not know how freaking dangerous that is?

This is why I don’t do these type of lines anymore. I only do the 319 3 stops nothing to scream. 

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Just seen on buschat NJT put out an RFP for 500 new 40FT Diesel buses. Can't wait till the new 40 footers start rolling in, hopefully they are ethier New Flyer or Nova.

4 hours ago, 46Dover said:

My money is on NewFlyer

Surprising i thought they were gonna hold off and rehab the nabis? 

3 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Seaside is a special fare. When you buy the tickets there is no zone on it, it says SSH, but technically it is 19 zones. But you cannot ride a bus to seaside with a 19 zone ticket, it must say SSH. When you purchase the ticket from a TVM, you put in route 67(Journal Sq/Newark) or 137(PABT) then origin and destination. 

My goodness, who comes up with this crap????

15 hours ago, go25 said:

Yeah, hence the express part. No pickups or drop-offs in that segment

What I'm saying is, the #361 didn't always operate like what you're saying (no pickups or dropoffs b/w that segment)...

It used be a closed door service being marketed as an express service - With the AM trips still allowing pickups b/w 13th & MLK (while not allowing for dropoffs b/w said stretch), and the PM trips still allowing dropoffs b/w 13th & MLK (while not allowing pickups b/w said stretch)....

Being that I'm taking your word for it, I'd like to know when that change to the #361 (no pickups or dropoffs b/w that segment) started taking place.... Twice last year when I fanned the thing, they didn't go nonstop (as in, no passenger activity whatsoever b/w said stretch) b/w 13th & MLK  - Which is exactly why I get why @BreeddekalbL asked his question, and why @checkmatechamp13 replied saying what he did.....

16 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Just double-checking, is DeCamp running? (Particularly their #44 route) If so, are these schedules the most up-to-date? (Their direct website doesn't seem to work)

DeCamp is definitely in operation, but I'm not sure what's going on as far as when buses are running are concerned.... I refrain from services that appear to operate rogue-like/gimmick-like.... Same reason why I haven't bothered planning any trips around Lakeland....

Edited by B35 via Church

31 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

DeCamp is definitely in operation, but I'm not sure what's going on as far as when buses are running are concerned.... I refrain from services that appear to operate rogue-like/gimmick-like.... Same reason why I haven't bothered planning any trips around Lakeland....

I'm looking into it as a commute, but yikes...$8.20 per trip and the bus runs once per hour...and on top of that you have to buy the tickets at specific locations (you can't just pay on the bus). Looks like I'll be sticking to rail-based methods of getting to work lol (NLR to PATH or bus to NJT at Newark Broad)

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Same reason why I haven't bothered planning any trips around Lakeland....

Funny you mentioned my former employer.  They run buses every 2 hours on weekends now so whenever I go chill out on gate 207 on Sunday afternoons, I see people that missed the 5pm bus thinking there’s going to be a 6pm only to find out (after me breaking them the bad news) that they have to wait another  2 hours for the next bus.

Another recent example of this is the reconstituted schedules on the weekday means the last bus for the 78 or 80 side leaves at 6:30 pm.  Again, I lounge out on 207 and some guy comes up (complete with 35 zone ticket) asking me when the bus to New Providence leaves. I tell him the last bus already left (not knowing about the fiasco at Penn Station). He insists there are more buses by showing me his Google (🤦‍♂️) schedule which shows the old 7:00 and 8:00 schedule.  Poor bastard was magically wishing for buses to appear out of thin air.  I finally had to send for the Lakeland dispatcher to break the bad news to him and another guy trying to go to Summit.  They would’ve been best served by taking the 126 to Hoboken and getting connections there but all hail the great Google schedule,  leading folks off a cliff one unfortunate soul at a time