New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

On 10/21/2022 at 10:28 PM, B35 via Church said:

Ok, so upon peeping the link, the JSQ/Newark #319 trips will serve Dorado.... For a second there, I thought that they were going to add yet another stop to the NYC #319 trips....

The 2 67B trips were changed from local to express via GSP between Toms River and Dorado beginning with the June summer schedule changes

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does the 409 take two+ hours to travel between WRTC and Trenton? I always imagined the route to "flow" like say the M5 on Riverside Drive in NYC. I always wondered why this route has such a long runtime considering most of South Jersey seems to be rural so it can't be getting hammered by heavy ridership and traffic right? Any insight would be appreciated. 

Wanted to fan it but it that would mean multiple 2 hour long bus rides in one day (NEC to 409-551-319 is the planned trip) would feel more like a Greyhound ride than a commuter bus ride lol. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Why does the 409 take two+ hours to travel between WRTC and Trenton? I always imagined the route to "flow" like say the M5 on Riverside Drive in NYC. I always wondered why this route has such a long runtime considering most of South Jersey seems to be rural so it can't be getting hammered by heavy ridership and traffic right? Any insight would be appreciated. 

Wanted to fan it but it that would mean multiple 2 hour long bus rides in one day (NEC to 409-551-319 is the planned trip) would feel more like a Greyhound ride than a commuter bus ride lol. 

It's not a super-direct route. On the highway takes about 40 minutes, but on local streets with traffic lights and lower speed limits through the towns, and some diversions in Florence, Willingboro, Burlington, and Pennsauken, it takes around 2 hours even at night.

I was in Bloomfield a few hours ago and saw a #94 pass by that said "Union County College". Did the #94 ever end there? (I know in the redesign plan, the #54 would serve Union County College).

Also, I came across a list of all the NJT stations ranked by 2017 ridership. It would be interesting to see how it changed post-COVID: https://patch.com/new-jersey/hoboken/how-many-riders-use-nj-transit-s-hoboken-train-station

Edited by checkmatechamp13

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I was in Bloomfield a few hours ago and saw a #94 pass by that said "Union County College". Did the #94 ever end there? (I know in the redesign plan, the #54 would serve Union County College).

UCC has a couple campuses, none of which I've ever known of the #94 to end at.... The one in Scotch Plains, some #112's run out to serve, there's the one in Cranford where a few routes serve/end at ($58, 59, 66), and one in Plainfield about a block or so away from the RR station (Plainfield)....

On 10/26/2022 at 8:01 PM, trainfan22 said:

A lot of SNJ is rural, but the #409 doesn't travel along the rural parts (that's more routes like the #401, 410, 313/315).... I'd say the route (#409) is a healthy mix of commercial, industrial, and residential.... As was said, the route doesn't flow per se, due to the myriad of diversions it makes (which is one of things I like about fanning the route)....  The specific & sole diversion I personally don't care for (although I understand why it does it) is the diversion to serve the Florence RiverLine station... For however short it may look on a map, that diversion eats up around 5-10 mins. alone to get in & out of....

The thing with the #409 isn't that it's bogged down by heavy traffic (although parts of rt. 130 does gets slammed from time to time (somewhat similar to what the #139 has to put up with along rt. 9, but not to the consistent extent)), and it's not necessarily heavy ridership either.... It's more the diversions it takes, and people getting on/off at random stops here & there (which is what kills momentum)... What you'll find (especially heading towards Trenton) is that there's a noticeable drop off in passenger activity east (or, north, if you prefer) of Burlington.... Florence has its riders, but past that is straggler level usage....

Alternate #409's on weekends used to short turn at Burlington, but a while back, they made it to where all #409's run out to Trenton.... If you don't get anyone getting on or off in Bordentown, it's almost a straight shot to TTC from FLORENCE - which has happened to me several times fanning the route.... As far as the Trenton end of the route is concerned, I find that you'll get ppl. riding within Trenton (and the western part of Hamilton Twp.), but towards Trenton within Trenton & the western part of Hamilton Twp., seldom anyone takes the #409....

TL;DR - if you want the fan the part of the route that flows like the M5, ride it b/w Florence & Trenton..... West/South of Florence, you're not going to get much flow... Lol.

Edited by B35 via Church

On 10/30/2022 at 5:53 AM, B35 via Church said:

UCC has a couple campuses, none of which I've ever known of the #94 to end at.... The one in Scotch Plains, some #112's run out to serve, there's the one in Cranford where a few routes serve/end at ($58, 59, 66), and one in Plainfield about a block or so away from the RR station (Plainfield)....

Now that I think about it, I think it might've said Union Center instead of Union College. 

BTW, what are your thoughts on removing the #94 from Galloping Hill Road (in the NewBus plan)? Should it be covered by another route (say, the #58 or #113N), remain with the #94, or be discontinued as proposed?

On 10/27/2022 at 10:52 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

To touch upon this, it is becoming more and more of a slap in the face to tourists, residents, and business owners in NYC. This on top of congestion pricing alone wants me to leave NYC for good.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:42 PM, Lawrence St said:

To touch upon this, it is becoming more and more of a slap in the face to tourists, residents, and business owners in NYC. This on top of congestion pricing alone wants me to leave NYC for good.

That comes off as seeing the NYPD as far better than it actually is. I wouldn't expect a former cop to do anything about the NYPD's antics, especially since he was once a member.

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

One of my biggest pet peeves with NJT is fleet assignments when it comes to routes. There is absolutely no reason MCI’s should be running on any Fairview routes (with the exception of the 159X).

Why Not...Fairview always had MCIS....All they routes go to new york and they have tpke express runs also....You make it seem like thats an all local garage like orange or big tree

Edited by biGC323232

Not directly relating to NJT, but relating to Lakeland

ATTENTION: Starting Monday November 7th, we will be adding 2 new buses to our Rt. 46/80 weekday schedule both east and westbound. The new Eastbound bus will depart at 10PM from Dover, and the new Westbound bus will depart from Port Authority at 11:30 (Gate 402). Plese see Rt.46/80 East/West bound weekday schedules for stops included on each Route (Will have “New” listed at the bottom).

ATTENTION: Starting Saturday November 12th, we will be adding two new buses each to our Rt. 46/80 Weekend schedule both east and westbound. New eastbound buses will depart Rockaway Mall at 9:50 AM, and Dover at 4PM. New Westbound buses will depart from NYPABT (Gate 206) at noon and 6PM. Plese see Rt.46/80 East/West bound weekend schedules for stops included on each Route (Will have “New” listed at the bottom).

Does anybody have any information about the old 884 (Somerville - Clinton route) or the old 980 (New Brunswick - Piscataway route)?

On a side note, I didn't realize the #111 - #117 routes are based out of Ironbound...that's a bit of a long deadhead from the outer reaches of those routes, though depending on the exact route, much of that deadhead might be along highways. (Even for the #59/65/66, that's a long deadhead for the trips that do it from that end).

Edited by checkmatechamp13

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Now that I think about it, I think it might've said Union Center instead of Union College. 

...which is a current short turn terminal of the route.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

BTW, what are your thoughts on removing the #94 from Galloping Hill Road (in the NewBus plan)?

Should it be covered by another route (say, the #58 or #113N), remain with the #94, or be discontinued as proposed?

The #94 doesn't run on Galloping Hill rd. (and hasn't, for as long as I can remember)... It continues along Chestnut to Westfield like the #113S (Salem rd. branch) does...

On 11/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Does anybody have any information about the old 884 (Somerville - Clinton route) or the old 980 (New Brunswick - Piscataway route)?

- I don't recall of an #884... All those old Wheels routes I remember being in the 900's...

- The #980 I vaguely remember... It was a route that started at the New Brunswick RR, then crossed the river due north via rt. 18 (unlike the #810 & #814, which do so via rt. 27)... It then ran along River rd., to Centennial... Ran along Centennial a bit, to then make a bunch of diversions/turns to serve specific plants & offices, to then end at one of those corporate bldg's in the general area... To sum it up, it was a peak only route that connected industrial Piscataway to the New Brunswick RR station....

On 11/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Is this what you wanted? 

https://web.archive.org/web/20090522205939/http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0884.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20090522205946/http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0980.pdf