New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

34 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Same thing happened at egg harbor. Njt maintenance is going down bad.

That's across the board: heavy rail, bus, and light rail

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

also, in the event a bus goes OOS from DOT, does the driver get a fine?

It is rare for drivers to be fined for DOT outside of medical card or hours of service violations.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

do they not have enough service persons?

also, in the event a bus goes OOS from DOT, does the driver get a fine?

Njt gets the fine.

The lack of parts and Formans approving buses to go out that shouldn’t be on the road. The parts issue hasn’t really recovered since covid. It’s only going to get worse, but all the Nabis need a part that’s only built in Europe; right now they are at a 190 day time frame.

1 hour ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

It’s only going to get worse, but all the Nabis need a part that’s only built in Europe; right now they are at a 190 day time frame.

Oof. The elevator problem is now invading buses regarding parts only available in Europe. Is it a Neoplan part or a MAN part?

Am I the only one who doesn't like how the destination signs on the buses look when they decided to abbreviate Newark to NWK, Jersey to JRSY, or Elizabeth to ELIZ? Makes them look lazy and empty

37 minutes ago, go25 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like how the destination signs on the buses look when they decided to abbreviate Newark to NWK, Jersey to JRSY, or Elizabeth to ELIZ? Makes them look lazy and empty

NJT needs a massive redoing of all their bus signs...some of them are disgusting.

20 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Njt gets the fine.

The lack of parts and Formans approving buses to go out that shouldn’t be on the road. The parts issue hasn’t really recovered since covid. It’s only going to get worse, but all the Nabis need a part that’s only built in Europe; right now they are at a 190 day time frame.

If we’re to get replacements for the NABIs, (presumably New Flyer), would they have the same problem getting parts?

7 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Update with Six Flags.

Academy will not be taking over. It’s some private company that you have to have a reservation for. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

You mean @JAzumah?

Only has a 9:30 AM departure from PABT

https://www.transportazumah.com/PABTGreatAdventure.htm?fbclid=IwAR1H2XjXDM71Jk3TOdgMtKozpengYX2M3TqfchRYbOweQ0WPjTmgOhYP2VY_aem_AaFBl-RRNO2_lVO0teMm8VIDwdHJiI3ZdRNMpebb3f8WIoSEwRUiy80P0YUZVeiHM8Y

Take this with a grain of salt, but NJT appears to gain a new bus route. Community Coach's #77 will be NJT #103. The reason being: "Community suppose to be going all charter in Paramus.  They’ll just have Rockland and the B lines" per an operator with knowledge.

On 4/5/2024 at 5:08 PM, go25 said:

I'm CTFU if they got the outbound #108 signed up as "NWK" in 3 big ass letters.

But yeah, I brought up the "Eliz" BS in an earlier post in this thread, referencing having seen it on a #26... Just dumb all the way around... For whatever the reason, they're regressing in the designation signage category.

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm CTFU if they got the outbound #108 signed up as "NWK" in 3 big ass letters.

But yeah, I brought up the "Eliz" BS in an earlier post in this thread, referencing having seen it on a #26... Just dumb all the way around... For whatever the reason, they're regressing in the designation signage category.

I saw it on a 26 not long ago, and then I saw the 5... like WTF

5 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Philadelphia Transit Vehicles tracker is complete fried. Many incorrect tracking units like 4023 on the 74, 21271 on the 5, and 5898 on the 502, all at PABT.

NJT screwed up the entire tracking system when they redid it a few months ago. It’s now impossible to tell where anything is unless you use my bus, and even that is difficult to use because the GUI looks like it’s from 2004.

6 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Philadelphia Transit Vehicles tracker is complete fried. Many incorrect tracking units like 4023 on the 74, 21271 on the 5, and 5898 on the 502, all at PABT.

They don't have the link to the tracker on their site so I wonder how and why you're still using it.

3 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

They don't have the link to the tracker on their site so I wonder how and why you're still using it.

I found a way to still see it. First just open the tracker as normal like pressing through MTA or SEPTA, then the three lines on top left, then Press "Select Region (N-Z)", and NJT is the first one on the top.

Here's also the link.

https://www.philadelphiatransitvehicles.info/Selectors/loadarea/NewJersey

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

NJT screwed up the entire tracking system when they redid it a few months ago. It’s now impossible to tell where anything is unless you use my bus, and even that is difficult to use because the GUI looks like it’s from 2004.

its now fixed

Welp NJT axed the changing of the fare system and the scanners in the buses. Due to increased dwell times. Ultimately the system will be turned off and the scanners will be useless.

The dwell times was created because that scanner required the red dot to be perfectly on the QR.

For this system to have worked, paper tickets and passes had to be discontinued and replaced with a fare card that could hold your mpass and tickets and you tap without waiting on the red dot 🔴. NJT also refused to change the fare register. Septa has the same readers for use with their fare card and tap pay system. Also the addition of having the option to add your pass to your Apple or Android wallet. 

There is an internal memo in all garages about the system being suspended. The front office of NJT needs to be put out of service and they need to clean how with ones who want change. We should not be carrying cash in 2024. 

NJT fails again. 

50 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Welp NJT axed the changing of the fare system and the scanners in the buses. Due to increased dwell times. Ultimately the system will be turned off and the scanners will be useless.

The dwell times was created because that scanner required the red dot to be perfectly on the QR.

For this system to have worked, paper tickets and passes had to be discontinued and replaced with a fare card that could hold your mpass and tickets and you tap without waiting on the red dot 🔴. NJT also refused to change the fare register. Septa has the same readers for use with their fare card and tap pay system. Also the addition of having the option to add your pass to your Apple or Android wallet. 

There is an internal memo in all garages about the system being suspended. The front office of NJT needs to be put out of service and they need to clean how with ones who want change. We should not be carrying cash in 2024. 

NJT fails again. 

You are saying the mandatory scanning that was implemented Monday has already been stopped?