New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/22/2024 at 11:07 AM, JAzumah said:

I am hearing things about the Coach USA ecosystem that aren't good. I hope they can keep it together and restructure as needed.

They’ve been giving up quite a few buses lately.  Your statement seems to reflect the current state of affairs 

On 2/22/2024 at 10:48 PM, Lawrence St said:

The 355 schedule makes no sense. Only TWO trips on weekdays and they leave to AD at 10 and 12:30? And yet weekend service has 15 trips? How is the ridership on this route?

IDK, my guess is that the weekday buses are for whatever mall workers it can conjure up & the weekend buses are for actual mall shoppers....

The #126 - #85 - #772 combination on weekends has grown to be one of my fave's... Demand for the #355 from the mall is VERY hit or miss (most gun for the #85) & I'm surprised it has as many trips as it even does on weekends.... IME's, it's either buses leaving the mall crushloaded, or with less than a handful of people on it... Never seen anything in between..... Usage from PABT OTOH, I couldn't tell you....

On 3/5/2024 at 5:35 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Another rumor, Big Tree will likely help the 24 with operators training on the route. Wouldn't be surprised if they do, especially with the evergrowing 24 ridership.

So how many garages is that now that's helping out with the #24?

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The #126 - #85 - #772 combination on weekends has grown to be one of my fave's...

I always thought it interesting that the 772 was the only local line from Community that has Sunday Service 

20 hours ago, TyBusLover1 said:

Don’t no exactly where to put this but, 5247 Greenville Nabi is a reserve unit.

Gotta have a Cat engine Nabi suburban bus since they're ultra rare. Also, is this for the NJ Historic Bus Museum?

42 minutes ago, FlxMtroD said:

Gotta have a Cat engine Nabi suburban bus since they're ultra rare. Also, is this for the NJ Historic Bus Museum?

No, I don’t think. It’s still active I ment ready reserve.

Edited by TyBusLover1

On 2/24/2024 at 7:58 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

Hearing a rumor that NFI has built five new NJT artics. They're probably going to be delivered to NJT soon.

Also another rumor is that some of the 6500s from Coach USA are supposedly going to Hilton and Orange. 

All of this information are just rumors so take this all with a grain of salt.

Those are probably 5 of the last 60 buses from that 85 option that was ordered in 2019

Random thought:

Not sure if they changed the sign for the #52 as well, but while I was at NJT Elizabeth RR on Saturday, I saw a #26 that was signed up as "UNIVERSITY" (big letters)... As the bus was turning onto Julian pl<>Railroad av., the other frame of the sign looked like it transitioned to:

- "Eliz" (first line)
- "via Kean" (second line)

For certain though, it did not spell out Elizabeth.... I mean YGBFKM with "Eliz" :lol:; there was more than enough space on that top-most line in that frame of the destination sign to spell out Elizabeth.... They also apparently got rid of the KU suffix next to the 26 (which is neither here nor there to me)....

On 3/20/2024 at 8:32 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Toms River is 31 zones from NYC, Toms River is 18 zones from NYC. Not sure how many ones Six Flags is from NYC.

6 flags is 17 zones, however you can’t buy a zone 17 tix; you have to pay the special fare tix for the 308.

On 3/20/2024 at 9:08 PM, Lawrence St said:

Um, what?

Meant to say 31 zones to Atlantic City, 18 zones to Toms River.

@553 Bridgeton Is there a different promotional fare for Newark vs. NYC or are they both the same price? I remember years ago, it was slightly cheaper for Newark vs. NYC.

On a side note they really need a full-time east-west route in that part of NJ (similar to the 317). Maybe an extension of the 836 to Trenton or something along those lines. I know it would be a long route, but especially for those not near rail lines (where you can transfer at Rahway) it would make travel through that area significantly easier.

On 3/21/2024 at 11:41 PM, 553 Bridgeton said:

6 flags is 17 zones, however you can’t buy a zone 17 tix; you have to pay the special fare tix for the 308.

And it has to be at the window, which I always thought was dumb that you couldn't buy it on the app. 

On 3/22/2024 at 4:15 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

On a side note they really need a full-time east-west route in that part of NJ (similar to the 317). Maybe an extension of the 836 to Trenton or something along those lines. I know it would be a long route, but especially for those not near rail lines (where you can transfer at Rahway) it would make travel through that area significantly easier.

Trenton offers more connections, but Princeton - Asbury is infinitely more attractive....

As for the #836, the thing should just run straight to Centra State Hosp. from Freehold Center... Being that they don't have #139's serving Freehold Center and Freehold "mall" anymore, I would have a very select few (of the Freehold "mall") trips throughout the day serving Freehold Raceway Mall.... Either could serve as a P&R, but I do think a #139 from points north of Raceway mall would attract more actual mall goers than either the #836 or the #67....

On 3/22/2024 at 8:11 AM, mfs NJT459 said:

There’s a multilevel rail car parked on track 1 at the AC rail terminal.  IDK if it’s a cab car but it’s being used for training and practices on the AC Line

4210 is there as well all black Erie & Lackawanna. It’s a transfer; had 4 comets, 2 cab and 2 non cabs. The multilevel 7510 is a non cab car hooked with one comet cab car. 

2 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

4210 is there as well all black Erie & Lackawanna. It’s a transfer; had 4 comets, 2 cab and 2 non cabs. The multilevel 7510 is a non cab car hooked with one comet cab car. 

Yard moves