New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, there is no public transport option to go to Six Flags Great Adventure.

Also, there was not due to the fact that it had higher ridership, or that Six Flags made an disagreement with NJ Transit, this is likely budget cuts.

Edited by RSMG106

10 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

Sadly, there is no public transport option to go to Six Flags Great Adventure.

Also, there was not due to the fact that it had higher ridership, or that Six Flags made an disagreement with NJ Transit, this is likely budget cuts.

Possible, but I don't think this was budget cut related at all..... I'm guessing the decision was completely Six Flags related.

Now if the #316 & #510 also ends up getting axed for the summer season, then we know what time it is.....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Possible, but I don't think this was budget cut related at all..... I'm guessing the decision was completely Six Flags related.

Now if the #316 & #510 also ends up getting axed for the summer season, then we know what time it is.....

I believe it is credit card fraud related. The only part of my business that I see significant credit card fraud is in the Amusement Park section. I would pay for the bus and park ticket and then get a hit in my merchant account right after the trip is completed. I started manually screening bookings and requiring people to bring ID to the pickup to cut down on it. I tried to have the police intercept one of the frauds at the bus stop, but the cops wanted me to "hold them there" once they arrived instead of waiting right there for them. If NJT has just 5% CC fraud on the 308, that is potentially a six digit number. That would drive the 308 into the red, but NJT wouldn't come out and say what I said because it would be perceived as racist.

If NJT wants to give me the buses, I'll make sure they don't have that problem any more.

16 hours ago, JAzumah said:

I believe it is credit card fraud related. The only part of my business that I see significant credit card fraud is in the Amusement Park section. I would pay for the bus and park ticket and then get a hit in my merchant account right after the trip is completed. I started manually screening bookings and requiring people to bring ID to the pickup to cut down on it. I tried to have the police intercept one of the frauds at the bus stop, but the cops wanted me to "hold them there" once they arrived instead of waiting right there for them. If NJT has just 5% CC fraud on the 308, that is potentially a six digit number. That would drive the 308 into the red, but NJT wouldn't come out and say what I said because it would be perceived as racist.

If NJT wants to give me the buses, I'll make sure they don't have that problem any more.

Why not just use your own?

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why not just use your own?

I am planning to use my own equipment, but I am not happy about the prospect of managing 200-300 people at an on-street bus stop at once. That is the value of the PABT.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:42 PM, Lawrence St said:

It’s one of their most profitable routes though, why cut it??

I just love the speculation. And you heard it form the source.

Six Flags was cut because Six Flags wanted njt to come in the car entrance. Now imagine the amount of traffic the buses have to sit in when they can just continue to go in the back and leave. We need our buses back out for other trips not sitting in an entrance with cars. Six Flags said no, and njt said ok bye. If it’s not broke don’t fix it. 

42 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Six Flags was cut because Six Flags wanted njt to come in the car entrance. Now imagine the amount of traffic the buses have to sit in when they can just continue to go in the back and leave. We need our buses back out for other trips not sitting in an entrance with cars. Six Flags said no, and njt said ok bye. If it’s not broke don’t fix it. 

I’m curious, did SF pay a subsidy to NJT to run it?

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I’m curious, did SF pay a subsidy to NJT to run it?

Contractual, the contract was written as such that NJT is to use the employee entrance to speed up the process so they can get buses back to where they need to be. Six Flags broke the contract. 

10 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Figured it'd be something as silly as this....

12 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Contractual, the contract was written as such that NJT is to use the employee entrance to speed up the process so they can get buses back to where they need to be. Six Flags broke the contract. 

I’m slightly confused, when I did the 308 it was always a tripper and not a straight run? Unless you literally mean they need the bus back at the depot to do another run?

12 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

That sounds odd. I could see Six Flags trying to create a security zone where the employee section is more controlled, but they could have mitigated such an issue on both sides.

On 3/30/2024 at 7:28 AM, JAzumah said:

I am planning to use my own equipment, but I am not happy about the prospect of managing 200-300 people at an on-street bus stop at once. That is the value of the PABT.

NJT would actually stagger departures between 8:30 and 10 on busier days. I guess you can do that also, once you have 50 people ready to go start sending them out even if it's before 9:30.

The return was more hit and miss but they would try to stagger the return trips also if there were enough people waiting for the bus back.

20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I’m slightly confused, when I did the 308 it was always a tripper and not a straight run? Unless you literally mean they need the bus back at the depot to do another run?

Most of the 308s that Howell had was paired with actual full runs. Most jobs back to nyc did either 137/139/319, Or Newark for the 67. 

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

On 3/30/2024 at 10:02 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Ugh...the southbound #709 was a no-show, and the next (and last) one is over an hour later...some folks in Passaic decided to grab an Uber taxi....talk about money walking for NJT...

That's a trend that's been happening on the #709. For some reason CUSA - Community has been having some no-shows on routes #707 and popular #709. I don't know about the other "Passaic" and "Bergen" county" routes.

Posted (edited)

Those afternoon/evening weekend NEC Line trains are absolutely packed with people

Conductor could not even start collecting tickets. 

Can’t even imagine how much fare revenue NJT is losing when I took the train 5 straight weekend and my ticket was only lifted once!

And those arrow III are nice, but I don’t know if they belong on NEC. Way too few capacity

Edited by Mtatransit

On 3/30/2024 at 10:04 AM, 553 Bridgeton said:

On 3/30/2024 at 8:07 PM, B35 via Church said:

Figured it'd be something as silly as this....

This is why we can’t have nice things 🤦‍♂️

On 4/3/2024 at 2:06 PM, Lawrence St said:

NJT Big Tree garage got a surprise DOT inspection and as a result there are numerous buses out of service and/or delayed.

Same thing happened at egg harbor. Njt maintenance is going down bad.