New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

35 minutes ago, JAzumah said:

I disagree. The Meadowlands Line needs high capacity MUs to be successful in general. There are enough events there in general to make them viable.

Well whatever's the case, I would of been ok with the proposal of bringing a new railcar had they planned any changes as soon as the world cup was awarded. The final wasn't even awarded until Sunday. I think bringing in new equipment from a buildier that NJT is not familiar with is a bad idea if an early 2026 deadline is put as things can go south during the tournament. If its for future-proofing after the world cup, then maybe.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, JAzumah said:

I disagree. The Meadowlands Line needs high capacity MUs to be successful in general. There are enough events there in general to make them viable.

That would require electrification on parts of the Main, Bergen, and Pascack Valley lines, which NJT does not want to do, plain and simple. They are facing a massive fiscal crisis, and they think that a fare hike will magically solve that issue, which is extremely laughable. For the World Cup, you're getting the service that they offer for football season, so take that as you will.

21 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I’d like to know who built this Meadowlands rail line and didn’t think of the fact that you can’t run it direct from NYP?

North River tubes are completely maxed out, you can’t run any trains from NYP to Meadowlands without stealing trains from another line.

Until they increase the number of tracks under the Hudson, building any new lines into NYP is pointless.

30 minutes ago, go25 said:

They are facing a massive fiscal crisis, and they think that a fare hike will magically solve that issue, which is extremely laughable

It’s amazing they were able to keep the current fare structure on the bus side for as long as they have 

1 hour ago, 46Dover said:

It’s amazing they were able to keep the current fare structure on the bus side for as long as they have 

Look what they tell us “let em ride”. All the free rides especially on the 319 adds up.

This is only one bus assuming all 55 ppl paid $42 round trip. 

$55x$42=$2,310. Say you let 10ppl ride free because they use the same lame duck excuse; that is $420 in free rides. 319 runs 7 days a week, you start adding all that and you get a nice number in fare recovery by 12 months. Exact fare lines all run in the red because of the passengers throwing anything in there and you hitting the A key. Hell the 48 runs 27% in the red everyday. The 166 is a heavy line and runs 21% in the red. Why is the 166 red? Most of the people out of PABT never buy the correct ticket and magically need to go to 46 or Leonia. 

On 2/6/2024 at 8:53 PM, MNR Beacon Line said:

North River tubes are completely maxed out, you can’t run any trains from NYP to Meadowlands without stealing trains from another line.

Until they increase the number of tracks under the Hudson, building any new lines into NYP is pointless.

They are absolutely not maxed out on weekends, which is when most stadium events are held

1 hour ago, jass said:

They are absolutely not maxed out on weekends, which is when most stadium events are held

It doesn't matter if they're maxed out or not. Amtrak owns the tunnels, and if they say they're maxed, including weekends, their word is law.

5 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Hypothetical question say a wayne bus operator gets called to cover a 319 and when they come back from atlantic city can they take the GSP all the way to route 3 to deadhead back home to wayne?

Buses are allowed on the full length of the Garden State Parkway and Route 3, so it is theoretically possible.

19 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Hypothetical question say a wayne bus operator gets called to cover a 319 and when they come back from atlantic city can they take the GSP all the way to route 3 to deadhead back home to wayne?

Yes. They already do that now when they and Oradell/Westwood get trips. 

Does anyone know why Academy continues to do route learning runs that shadow NJT route 88, saw one of their Orion VII OG shadowing the 88 earlier this morning, and then months past, I seen their nova buses and their new flyer D40LFs shadowing the 88 as well. So can anyone explain why the Academy continues to do route learning runs on the 88? A route they have it ran since June 2021. 

PS: I’ll post a picture of the OG in the photo thing

Edited by NJTE

20 hours ago, NJTE said:

Does anyone know why Academy continues to do route learning runs that shadow NJT route 88, saw one of their Orion VII OG shadowing the 88 earlier this morning, and then months past, I seen their nova buses and their new flyer D40LFs shadowing the 88 as well. So can anyone explain why the Academy continues to do route learning runs on the 88? A route they have it ran since June 2021. 

PS: I’ll post a picture of the OG in the photo thing

Perhaps some foreshadowing, maybe the contract is going back to Academy after all

1 hour ago, go25 said:

Perhaps some foreshadowing, maybe the contract is going back to Academy after all

They’ve been doing these route learning runs ever since they lost the contract, so I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, NJTE said:

After the lawsuit, I highly doubt Academy would get anything at all

Me thinks Academy continues to do these runs just in case they ever get the contract back so the drivers are knowledgeable of the route

I just took a look at the 355/356 schedule.

The 356 is still (unsurprisingly) suspended. At this point, is it even going to come back? It's been gone for the last 4 years.

The 355 schedule makes no sense. Only TWO trips on weekdays and they leave to AD at 10 and 12:30? And yet weekend service has 15 trips? How is the ridership on this route?

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The 355 schedule makes no sense. Only TWO trips on weekdays and they leave to AD at 10 and 12:30? And yet weekend service has 15 trips? How is the ridership on this route?

The mall foot traffic during the week isn't that great in the winter.

Hearing a rumor that NFI has built five new NJT artics. They're probably going to be delivered to NJT soon.

Also another rumor is that some of the 6500s from Coach USA are supposedly going to Hilton and Orange. 

All of this information are just rumors so take this all with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...