2013 NYC Mayoral Election Discussion

Amtrak7

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lhota was Giuliani's side-by-side man for his administration, and let's remember that Giuliani was probably the most anti-public transportation mayor in 80 years. He starved the MTA, and if Lhota had no problem with it then, it's hard to believe he will now. As for being critical of fare hikes, I don't know of any soundbytes, but that's more of a Liberal candidate/mayor thing to do (De Blasio, etc.).

That's an outright egregious assessment of Giuliani's tenure.  

• 2 weeks later...

It's a wonder he even won given Cats had more ads than him. Hopefully the debates will change things especially the issues than 'personality'.

Cats' ad was vandalized here in Coney Island. I'm not sure that an ad with an unflattering altered image of him for most of the time it was up helped him in any way.

• 1 month later...

After nearly two decades is the city really going to break from the self favoring and pandering politicians that have become synonymous across the landscape for the rise and eventual downfall of NYC?

Seemingly yes in my opinion, but only time will tell.

de Blasio has a huge lead over Lhota because of voter disapproval of the Republican party.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/28/nyregion/de-blasio-in-position-to-win-mayors-race-by-historic-margin-poll-shows.html

Well it's been a miracle a gop candidate has been elected in this city. Seems like anyone with an R instead of a D is a non factor (other than SI). I can't believe how the masses are buying deblasio's non messages and using his family to promote his campaign. Does he stand for anything other than tax and spend?

Lhota otoh has done nothing since his victory over Cats. He's ran the same anti crime ad over and over again. It's a good tactic, but I think the voters are turned off by the overtly negative stuff vs 'mr positive' and his family. The debates should've helped close the gap, but it's like the polls are dead set regardless. I hope the far left stuff is an act. I worry he ends up letting NYC turn into Chicago with rise in gun violence.

Well it's been a miracle a gop candidate has been elected in this city. Seems like anyone with an R instead of a D is a non factor (other than SI). I can't believe how the masses are buying deblasio's non messages and using his family to promote his campaign. Does he stand for anything other than tax and spend?

Lhota otoh has done nothing since his victory over Cats. He's ran the same anti crime ad over and over again. It's a good tactic, but I think the voters are turned off by the overtly negative stuff vs 'mr positive' and his family. The debates should've helped close the gap, but it's like the polls are dead set regardless. I hope the far left stuff is an act. I worry he ends up letting NYC turn into Chicago with rise in gun violence.

It's pretty pathetic, but people really that de Blasio is going to help them and they're more concerned with how "cool" his son is with the afro than the actual issues.  <_<

Its alright. New York will become like Detroit soon enough.

How? It took decades for Detroit to become what it is today. The final nail in the coffin there was the '08 recession, but what really drove that city into the ground was the fact that manufacturing for the most part went overseas because it was cheaper. The jobs left and the people did the same.

Also keep in mind Detroit relied on one industry, NYC on the other hand has lots of it. and crisis after crisis NYC has always bounced back though if they keep overtaxing like its no tomorrow and the industry will leave but that won't happen soon since NYC is still a decairable place to leave and do business, the problem with Detroit is that they could have evolved it doing different thing instead of cars as well if they really want to business they are going to have to lower there taxes or give tax breaks to big business am sure big business from NY would love to go to Detroit if that happened. 

How? It took decades for Detroit to become what it is today. The final nail in the coffin there was the '08 recession, but what really drove that city into the ground was the fact that manufacturing for the most part went overseas because it was cheaper. The jobs left and the people did the same.

What do you mean how? It's already happening. Just look at the types of crazy crimes being committed along with the amounts of crime.  

Also keep in mind Detroit relied on one industry, NYC on the other hand has lots of it. and crisis after crisis NYC has always bounced back though if they keep overtaxing like its no tomorrow and the industry will leave but that won't happen soon since NYC is still a decairable place to leave and do business, the problem with Detroit is that they could have evolved it doing different thing instead of cars as well if they really want to business they are going to have to lower there taxes or give tax breaks to big business am sure big business from NY would love to go to Detroit if that happened. 

Actually NYC doesn't have tons of sectors which is the term you mean to use.  NYC relies heavily on tourism and the financial sector.  The tech sector has only recently started to blossom here, so our economy, while not as fragile as Detroit's economy is still very fragile.  We also have a huge service sector here, but most of those jobs are low paying (aka fast food joints, mobile phone stores, etc.)

We had a manufacturing sector here but that has almost vanished overnight with several companies closing up shop and going elsewhere.  Very little manufacturing is still done in NYC.

What do you mean how? It's already happening. Just look at the types of crazy crimes being committed along with the amounts of crime. 

Crime has been hovering around the same levels it's been for at least a few years now. Also, since we're still talking about Detroit, it must be noted that since the city is bankrupt (a state that New York is nowhere close to reaching), the police force, as well as the fire department there is woefully understaffed. Say what you want about the NYPD and the FDNY, but their response to emergencies is usually swift. According to a recent report on CBS's 60 Minutes, some calls to Detroit's finest will result in wait times of hours if a response is made at all.

Crime has been hovering around the same levels it's been for at least a few years now. Also, since we're still talking about Detroit, it must be noted that since the city is bankrupt (a state that New York is nowhere close to reaching), the police force, as well as the fire department there is woefully understaffed. Say what you want about the NYPD and the FDNY, but their response to emergencies is usually swift. According to a recent report on CBS's 60 Minutes, some calls to Detroit's finest will result in wait times of hours if a response is made at all.

Crime rakes spiked for the first time in about 20 years and have been going up.  New York is no Detroit, but don't fool yourself into thinking that we're doing so fabulous financially because we're not doing that great here either.  Funding for the NYPD has certainly been cut back over the years, so we're certainly doing more with less.

For Detroit, the regular cops probably can't or won't show with the rampant crime there. They and Chicago probably needs the national guard patroling the cities. I also think there was a problem with stray dogs in large packs in Detroit. Just insane how bad it's gotten there.

Its alright. New York will become like Detroit soon enough.

Ignorant fear-mongering. 

It's pretty pathetic, but people really that de Blasio is going to help them and they're more concerned with how "cool" his son is with the afro than the actual issues.  <_<

Unsubstantiated and ridiculous. 

Unsubstantiated and ridiculous. 

Oh really? His whole campaign has been nothing but a sham... One consisting of vicious ads attacking the rich and upper middle class for their success, while he panders to those who look for handouts as usual.  It's certainly substantiated and far from ridiculous.

I'm not going to lie, I don't trust either candidate at this point, but I trust Lhota even less than I trust de Blasio. If he was a man of integrity, he would have held his post. (Granted, he was better than Cats, but a sock puppet would've been better than Cats.)

Oh really? His whole campaign has been nothing but a sham... One consisting of vicious ads attacking the rich and upper middle class for their success, while he panders to those who look for handouts as usual.  It's certainly substantiated and far from ridiculous.

It has been noted (either in the NYT or WSJ, it slips my mind) that he apparently had a private luncheon with business leaders and was much more pragmatic about things in person. Just like how Lhota is blatantly pandering, de Blasio has campaign funders he has to make happy.

Actually NYC doesn't have tons of sectors which is the term you mean to use.  NYC relies heavily on tourism and the financial sector.  The tech sector has only recently started to blossom here, so our economy, while not as fragile as Detroit's economy is still very fragile.  We also have a huge service sector here, but most of those jobs are low paying (aka fast food joints, mobile phone stores, etc.)

We had a manufacturing sector here but that has almost vanished overnight with several companies closing up shop and going elsewhere.  Very little manufacturing is still done in NYC.

Most financial firms will never leave the City, for the simple reason that we are the hub of the transatlantic cable network on the East Coast. Finance these days is all about as close to real-time communications as possible - they lay undersea cables just to shave off milliseconds in fiber-optic travel speeds. Plus, no other city has the financial economies of scale that make everything possible here - Boston, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Savannah, and Miami do not have the infrastructure to support the ecosystem around the two largest stock exchanges by market cap, to speak nothing of San Francisco, Chicago, or Los Angeles (which are on the wrong side of the continent to talk to Londoners while they're awake).

In fact, UBS made a decision in the 90's or 2000s to move its offices from New York to Stamford, because the suburbs were going to be the new big thing. That never happened, and that's largely seen as a failure; very few UBS employees prefer living in Stamford over New York, and they are now no longer a convenient distance from legal firms, consulting firms, or any of the myriad other firms that exist in New York. People pay the New York premium to get the advantages of the New York economic ecosystem; it would take something serious to destroy those advantages. It certainly would not be a city policy to do so (and in any case, the rich can just commute via helicopter from Long Island, Connecticut, or Jersey; they're not going to actually move to other metro areas)

I'd also like to point out that we are the hub of media - despite what you see on the outside, Tinseltown is fading away because it is no longer competitive with other locations.

I'm not going to lie, I don't trust either candidate at this point, but I trust Lhota even less than I trust de Blasio. If he was a man of integrity, he would have held his post. (Granted, he was better than Cats, but a sock puppet would've been better than Cats.)

It has been noted (either in the NYT or WSJ, it slips my mind) that he apparently had a private luncheon with business leaders and was much more pragmatic about things in person. Just like how Lhota is blatantly pandering, de Blasio has campaign funders he has to make happy.

Most financial firms will never leave the City, for the simple reason that we are the hub of the transatlantic cable network on the East Coast. Finance these days is all about as close to real-time communications as possible - they lay undersea cables just to shave off milliseconds in fiber-optic travel speeds. Plus, no other city has the financial economies of scale that make everything possible here - Boston, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Savannah, and Miami do not have the infrastructure to support the ecosystem around the two largest stock exchanges by market cap, to speak nothing of San Francisco, Chicago, or Los Angeles (which are on the wrong side of the continent to talk to Londoners while they're awake).

In fact, UBS made a decision in the 90's or 2000s to move its offices from New York to Stamford, because the suburbs were going to be the new big thing. That never happened, and that's largely seen as a failure; very few UBS employees prefer living in Stamford over New York, and they are now no longer a convenient distance from legal firms, consulting firms, or any of the myriad other firms that exist in New York. People pay the New York premium to get the advantages of the New York economic ecosystem; it would take something serious to destroy those advantages. It certainly would not be a city policy to do so (and in any case, the rich can just commute via helicopter from Long Island, Connecticut, or Jersey; they're not going to actually move to other metro areas)

I'd also like to point out that we are the hub of media - despite what you see on the outside, Tinseltown is fading away because it is no longer competitive with other locations.

Well don't think that it can't happen because if you raise taxes enough, the exodus of these financial firms can certainly occur.  NY has feared this for a while and for now firms are staying, but you keep jacking up the tax rates and they may just take the bait and head to NJ for example, just across the river.  Plenty of companies have done that and it's worth it when they get such great tax breaks and cheaper rents.

I have some friends in the big banking/finance firms, and they tell me that while their companies are never really going to pull up and leave NYC, no matter how high taxes get, they will open more remote locations if taxes are raised. So it seems to me that there is some limited truth to that idea...

Didnt Pfhiser or w/e use eminant domain in New London to build a complex that is now vacant? Random note.

I have some friends in the big banking/finance firms, and they tell me that while their companies are never really going to pull up and leave NYC, no matter how high taxes get, they will open more remote locations if taxes are raised. So it seems to me that there is some limited truth to that idea...

I don't see many places moving. Creating more locations in low tax places? Yes. 

But nothing like here, where companies large and small are moving to Indiana quickly...

Am going for Lhota, a lot of people in this city are giving Blasio to much promises that Blasio cant keep. Just because Lhota Republican and the are like 

Republican bad democrat good mentality, and Understand the Washington shutdown is there part there fault not all Republican are crazy like Lhota or Chris Chrstie.

There reason why Blasio is winning is because we are all angry at the GOP that's all, Just wait until Blasio becomes mayor. 

Didnt Pfhiser or w/e use eminant domain in New London to build a complex that is now vacant? Random note.

I don't see many places moving. Creating more locations in low tax places? Yes. 

But nothing like here, where companies large and small are moving to Indiana quickly...

There are a lot of places better then Nyc and if they want to escape are tax burden like we do so be it. 

Am going for Lhota, a lot of people in this city are giving Blasio to much promises that Blasio cant keep. Just because Lhota Republican and the are like 

Republican bad democrat good mentality, and Understand the Washington shutdown is there part there fault not all Republican are crazy like Lhota or Chris Chrstie.

There reason why Blasio is winning is because we are all angry at the GOP that's all, Just wait until Blasio becomes mayor. 

There are a lot of places better then Nyc and if they want to escape are tax burden like we do so be it. 

I'm glad you are thinking rationally about it. It's a shame too many people think like that about party labels and not what the candidate stands for. They'll come to regret voting for Deblasio when the crime goes up again or him breaking every promise. I would hope at worst Deblassio is just a one termer. I also wished Thompson stayed in, he'd have been the lesser of the evils and the other person other than Lhota that I'd be fine with as mayor. Thompson was probably as moderate as Lhota and didn't have to pander to the extreme left.

Archived