2013 NYC Mayoral Election Discussion

Amtrak7

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you are thinking rationally about it. It's a shame too many people think like that about party labels and not what the candidate stands for. They'll come to regret voting for Deblasio when the crime goes up again or him breaking every promise. I would hope at worst Deblassio is just a one termer. I also wished Thompson stayed in, he'd have been the lesser of the evils and the other person other than Lhota that I'd be fine with as mayor. Thompson was probably as moderate as Lhota and didn't have to pander to the extreme left.

Yes it crazy, there are not giving Lhota a chance to make his stance but the extreme left won't let them.

What extreme left are you talking about? In NYC politics, you've got four pandering communities. You've got your business community, you've got your old-school minority-voters community, you've got your Hasidic community, and you've got your far right Tea Party community. Pick and choose how you want to pander to each group...Lhota panders to the business, Tea Party, and Hasidic. De Blasio panders to the old-school minority-voters and Hasidim. There's no 'extreme left' in there.

Well I support Joe Lhota. He is tough on crime very much like Giuliani, he will improve our subway system, he seems to understand that we need lower taxes, he helps get the government out of education (charter schools), he will help the construction industry due to the fact he is supportive of construction, and he is a lot like an updated version of Bloomberg (though much nicer).

Party affiliation has nothing to do with my voting decision (I am a Libertarian anyway). I pick who is going to do a good job and Lhota seems to be able to do that.

I don't trust Bill de Blasio. From what I see he would probably try to start racial tensions and build dumps all over the city. I hope I am not the only one feeling it.......... 

What extreme left are you talking about? In NYC politics, you've got four pandering communities. You've got your business community, you've got your old-school minority-voters community, you've got your Hasidic community, and you've got your far right Tea Party community. Pick and choose how you want to pander to each group...Lhota panders to the business, Tea Party, and Hasidic. De Blasio panders to the old-school minority-voters and Hasidim. There's no 'extreme left' in there.

You forgot White Liberals. The core of the Democratic Party.

Unfortunately, due to Dante's popularity in this campaign rather than the issues at hand, Mr. de Blasio will win this election even though I will be voting Lhota tomorrow in Riverdale.  Too bad we can't clone places like most of Staten Island, Riverdale and other affluent areas outside of Manhattan that won't vote for de Blasio.

:sigh: sad how people won't let go over the tea party and gop issue. This is why democratic cities like NYC should just drop the party labels and have candidates be voted for what they stand for. Lhota and DeBlassio basically agree on most social issues. The key differences are stop and frisk and charter schools. I would imagine people might vote for Lhota if not for the 'scarlet R' of his party. We'll see how the next 4 yrs goes. I'm not as optimistic as DeBlassio's campaign ads makes it seem like.

Well I support Joe Lhota. He is tough on crime very much like Giuliani, he will improve our subway system, he seems to understand that we need lower taxes, he helps get the government out of education (charter schools), he will help the construction industry due to the fact he is supportive of construction, and he is a lot like an updated version of Bloomberg (though much nicer).

Party affiliation has nothing to do with my voting decision (I am a Libertarian anyway). I pick who is going to do a good job and Lhota seems to be able to do that.

I don't trust Bill de Blasio. From what I see he would probably try to start racial tensions and build dumps all over the city. I hope I am not the only one feeling it.......... 

Okay, let's tackle some of the massive ignorance in this post one by one.

1) "Tough on crime" Giuliani only saw crime drop thanks to the policies of his predecessor David Dinkins, yet he took all the credit. Lhota is no tougher than De Blasio.

2) Subway system -- where did you hear that? Firstly, that's not really the mayor's job, and secondly, if his years with Giuliani helping to kill the MTA are any evidence, he won't.

3) Lower taxes -- we don't need them and he wouldn't lower them for people where it matters.

4) Charter schools -- I actually laughed at his one... "the government out of education"? Do you even know what a charter school is? It's still paid for by the government and still covers the same curriculum; it's just a fancy name.

5) "Supportive of construction" -- and De Blasio isn't? C'mon.

6) "Updated version of Bloomberg" -- in what universe is that a good thing?

7) "Start racial tensions" -- nope, bullshit.

8) "Build dumps" -- nope, 5th grade IQ bullshit.

You forgot White Liberals. The core of the Democratic Party.

No, I didn't. I didn't say White Conservatives either, which are the core of the Republican party. You don't pander to the core, you pander to certain groups.

:sigh: sad how people won't let go over the tea party and gop issue. This is why democratic cities like NYC should just drop the party labels and have candidates be voted for what they stand for. Lhota and DeBlassio basically agree on most social issues. The key differences are stop and frisk and charter schools. I would imagine people might vote for Lhota if not for the 'scarlet R' of his party. We'll see how the next 4 yrs goes. I'm not as optimistic as DeBlassio's campaign ads makes it seem like.

He is running as a Republican, not a Democrat, and he has worked to get Tea Party support. What part of this picture seems liberal or "something to get over"?

Okay, let's tackle some of the massive ignorance in this post one by one.

1) "Tough on crime" Giuliani only saw crime drop thanks to the policies of his predecessor David Dinkins, yet he took all the credit. Lhota is no tougher than De Blasio.

2) Subway system -- where did you hear that? Firstly, that's not really the mayor's job, and secondly, if his years with Giuliani helping to kill the MTA are any evidence, he won't.

3) Lower taxes -- we don't need them and he wouldn't lower them for people where it matters.

4) Charter schools -- I actually laughed at his one... "the government out of education"? Do you even know what a charter school is? It's still paid for by the government and still covers the same curriculum; it's just a fancy name.

5) "Supportive of construction" -- and De Blasio isn't? C'mon.

6) "Updated version of Bloomberg" -- in what universe is that a good thing?

7) "Start racial tensions" -- nope, bullshit.

8) "Build dumps" -- nope, 5th grade IQ bullshit.

1. Oh please... Dinkins was mayor during some of the worse racial riots in this city. The only thing Giuliani took credit for was what he actually did.  If Dinkins was doing so great with crime and the economy, he would've been re-elected.   <_< Dinkins was lax with welfare as well.  It is a well known fact that it was Giuliani that cleaned up 42nd street and cracked down on the mafia doing as they pleased in this city and also got the welfare types to actually start working to earn their keep instead of looking for handouts.  Dinkins had jack squat to do with that, so save your lies for some gullible Democrat. <_<

3.  Since when doesn't NYC need lower taxes? We pay some of the highest taxes in the country!! That in turn is killing small businesses who create JOBS!  Then again that doesn't matter to you since I suppose you'd prefer to see more handouts given to the less fortunate.  Figures.  <_<  Those who don't pay much taxes of course don't care about folks like myself who are paying a ridiculous amount of taxes.

5. De Blasio is supportive of anything that helps him and only him.  He's been said to have been in bed with the developers when he was part of the Dinkins administration.  

7. His campaign has been nothing but one based on racial and economic divisions.  Absolutely disgusting.

8. I'm sure he would try to build dumps in affluent neighborhoods just to get back at the upper middle class in this city.  Riverdale, Upper East Side... Everywhere except for his beloved Park Slope.

1. Oh please... Dinkins was mayor during some of the worse racial riots in this city. The only thing Giuliani took credit for was what he actually did.  If Dinkins was doing so great with crime and the economy, he would've been re-elected.   <_< Dinkins was lax with welfare as well.  It is a well known fact that it was Giuliani that cleaned up 42nd street and cracked down on the mafia doing as they pleased in this city and also got the welfare types to actually start working to earn their keep instead of looking for handouts.  Dinkins had jack squat to do with that, so save your lies for some gullible Democrat. <_<

3.  Since when doesn't NYC need lower taxes? We pay some of the highest taxes in the country!! That in turn is killing small businesses who create JOBS!  Then again that doesn't matter to you since I suppose you'd prefer to see more handouts given to the less fortunate.  Figures.  <_<  Those who don't pay much taxes of course don't care about folks like myself who are paying a ridiculous amount of taxes.

5. De Blasio is supportive of anything that helps him and only him.  He's been said to have been in bed with the developers when he was part of the Dinkins administration.  

7. His campaign has been nothing but one based on racial and economic divisions.  Absolutely disgusting.

8. I'm sure he would try to build dumps in affluent neighborhoods just to get back at the upper middle class in this city.  Riverdale, Upper East Side... Everywhere except for his beloved Park Slope.

You can ignore the facts, but it was in fact Dinkins who ramped up the police force and its training program for later years. The cadets that were part of Dinkins's program graduated under Giuliani, and the improved police force came around just in time for Bill Bratton and Giuliani. Rudy took all the credit, but his administration didn't make those changes--they just reaped the benefits.

Except you aren't. Taxes are still extremely low countrywide, and there's no evidence that NYC is losing businesses due to taxes.

De Blasio's campaign has not been all that divisive at all, unless you see a picture of a young black kid and his family and think that's scary. Then it's divisive, when you're the racist. This dump notion is conspiratorial bullshit. 

You can ignore the facts, but it was in fact Dinkins who ramped up the police force and its training program for later years. The cadets that were part of Dinkins's program graduated under Giuliani, and the improved police force came around just in time for Bill Bratton and Giuliani. Rudy took all the credit, but his administration didn't make those changes--they just reaped the benefits.

Except you aren't. Taxes are still extremely low countrywide, and there's no evidence that NYC is losing businesses due to taxes.

De Blasio's campaign has not been all that divisive at all, unless you see a picture of a young black kid and his family and think that's scary. Then it's divisive, when you're the racist. This dump notion is conspiratorial bullshit. 

1. I suppose he had to ramp up the police force considering how out of control crime was in this city at the time.  I was a youngster but I remember how seedy Manhattan was and you most certainly couldn't ride the subway as peacefully as most have been able to over the most recent years.

2. Oh please. We're not talking about countrywide.  We're talking about NYC... 

3. That's a lie.  His campaign has been based upon class warfare and he's been very clear that he wants to tax those who earn more and take from them to give to those with less.  Disgusting.  God forbid you're successful in this city and earn a decent living.  That's a no-no for de Blasio.  I'm sure he won't be affected by that though...

3. That's a lie.  His campaign has been based upon class warfare and he's been very clear that he wants to tax those who earn more and take from them to give to those with less.  Disgusting.  God forbid you're successful in this city and earn a decent living.  That's a no-no for de Blasio.  I'm sure he won't be affected by that though...

Prejudiced people trying to call a liberal "racist". Lol.

Like, what's this, a damn conspiracy? You think he married a black woman and had mixed-race kids, to show them off and woo minorities, and just to end up running for this one particular race?

You think that those with a hundreds of times more money than the lower class can't afford to pay simple taxes that the lower class can't pay? What about giving back to those that made the upper-middle and upper class as rich as they are? Give back to the ones that actually do the work and actually labor. The wealthier ones are dependent on the lower class, not the other way around.

To tell you the truth even if one of them wins the city's crime low rate will remain the same, intercity crime all over the country has gone down over the last 20 to 25 year's whether it was on Democrat or Republican control thanks to part by the Technology and cameras all over the city so relax guys we are not going back to the 70s again, even if De Blasio wins he still has to go to Albany to get state approve on the things he wants like taxing the rich to fund his pre-k programs. guess what? the middle class will be paying the Pre-K Programs with the extra tax on a tax burden city and state and Blasio stopping stop and frisk won't happen since it's unconstitutional since it legal for Cops to stop you without any reasons, now is stop and frisk being abuse to target black and Hispanic? yes but is Blasio ideas for handling this issue the right thing no.

@ MTARegional Bus.....

I've tried to stay out of this mayoral race as I'm not a NYC resident at present but your first sentence is the first intelligent thing I've seen in the last few pages. I'm wondering if my fellow posters read newspapers any more. The crime stats have been declining across the country for a while. These people must be skimming the tabloids instead of actually reading and comprehending those stats. Shootings in Chicago, Detroit, and parts of the other large urban areas have sown fear into the gullible minds. I've been around a long time and It's my personal opinion that there is no truth to the mantra that Republicans are strong or Democrats are weak on crime. As far as the debate about Rudy's crime busting prowess let's settle this right now. President Clinton (D) provided cities with policing money. Mayor Dinkins (D) took that money and with his Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly started operation safe streets, hired more cops, and began the reduction in crime that has continued to this day. Rudy actually fired his first Police Commissioner, William Bratton, who was continuing Kelly and Dinkins' practices. Mayor Rudy then promoted his criminal Corrections head, Bernie Kerik, to Police commissioner. That's right, Crime Fighter Rudy promoted his criminal buddy, Bernie K to run the NYPD. Some of you may be too young, some may be brainwashed by party labels, but I know many in the NYPD and no one speaks highly of Mayor Rudy. De Blasio and Lhota may have other differences but I doubt that either would want to be compared to " America's Mayor ". That's an insulting comparison no matter your political party. Carry on.

@ MTARegional Bus.....

I've tried to stay out of this mayoral race as I'm not a NYC resident at present but your first sentence is the first intelligent thing I've seen in the last few pages. I'm wondering if my fellow posters read newspapers any more. 

Thanks 

I try to say stay from News papers and no trying to sleep with Democrats and Republicans as much as possible, they are terrible in bed.  

@ MTARegional Bus.....

I've tried to stay out of this mayoral race as I'm not a NYC resident at present but your first sentence is the first intelligent thing I've seen in the last few pages. I'm wondering if my fellow posters read newspapers any more. The crime stats have been declining across the country for a while. These people must be skimming the tabloids instead of actually reading and comprehending those stats. Shootings in Chicago, Detroit, and parts of the other large urban areas have sown fear into the gullible minds. I've been around a long time and It's my personal opinion that there is no truth to the mantra that Republicans are strong or Democrats are weak on crime. As far as the debate about Rudy's crime busting prowess let's settle this right now. President Clinton (D) provided cities with policing money. Mayor Dinkins (D) took that money and with his Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly started operation safe streets, hired more cops, and began the reduction in crime that has continued to this day. Rudy actually fired his first Police Commissioner, William Bratton, who was continuing Kelly and Dinkins' practices. Mayor Rudy then promoted his criminal Corrections head, Bernie Kerik, to Police commissioner. That's right, Crime Fighter Rudy promoted his criminal buddy, Bernie K to run the NYPD. Some of you may be too young, some may be brainwashed by party labels, but I know many in the NYPD and no one speaks highly of Mayor Rudy. De Blasio and Lhota may have other differences but I doubt that either would want to be compared to " America's Mayor ". That's an insulting comparison no matter your political party. Carry on.

Pff please... What crime stats are you looking at exactly? Some stats are declining, but some are rising... Bait and switch... Not exactly great IMO...  Theft is up substantially for example and rapes were up as well in the city for a bit...

Prejudiced people trying to call a liberal "racist". Lol.

Like, what's this, a damn conspiracy? You think he married a black woman and had mixed-race kids, to show them off and woo minorities, and just to end up running for this one particular race?

You think that those with a hundreds of times more money than the lower class can't afford to pay simple taxes that the lower class can't pay? What about giving back to those that made the upper-middle and upper class as rich as they are? Give back to the ones that actually do the work and actually labor. The wealthier ones are dependent on the lower class, not the other way around.

He's definitely classist and an opportunist.  No one said he was racist.  He's an opportunist for showcasing his son to try to show that he's with the minorities because he's a White man, so once they see that he married a Black women, well of course they'll say "OH, LOOK AT THAT!" Let's vote for him because he's with the minorities. It's disgusting.  Why can't he just discuss the issues and leave his family out of it? His family isn't running for office and quite frankly I don't care who he marries.  I care about what he does in office but he's using that to distract from his policies and what he plans to do or rather not do if he's elected.  I mean hell all politicians could run and showcase their families. It's very charming, but at the end of the day, I find it rather unprofessional and unnecessary.

Pff please... What crime stats are you looking at exactly? Some stats are declining, but some are rising... Bait and switch... Not exactly great IMO...  Theft is up substantially for example and rapes were up as well in the city for a bit...

I will put this right here

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/nyregion/the-real-story-behind-the-citys-deliverance-from-a-blood-soaked-era.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1383669868-/BN7UDPPJhHp322FMsBpnA

Also just because both will run for mayor doesn't mean that Candide will control the city, just look at Robert Moses 

Yes crime overall is declining but that has also been disputed. It's been said that under Bloomberg, crime has been underreported on purpose to make the figures artificially low.  It is no secret that the police force has been slashed substantially, mainly due to budget constraints.  I will say that some crime has been tackled thanks to the effectiveness of Stop & Frisk.  This is why it's alarming that a man like de Blasio who was a part of the DYSFUNCTIONAL Dinkins' administration when crime was indeed rampant is troubling because he voted to slash the police force AND is against Stop & Frisk.  He plans on dismantling the program but then says that it won't go away entirely so then how does he plan on keeping our streets safe?  Smaller police force, a watered down Stop & Frisk program... This guy is out of his mind!

I will put this right here

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/nyregion/the-real-story-behind-the-citys-deliverance-from-a-blood-soaked-era.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1383669868-/BN7UDPPJhHp322FMsBpnA

Also just because both will run for mayor doesn't mean that Candide will control the city, just look at Robert Moses 

Some people have a problem with facts. I didn't have to read the article , although I did, because I lived through those "good old days" as an adult. The article and the responses to it only remind me of the differences New Yorkers experienced back then. I ran the streets back then in all boroughs and in all nabes so I laugh when some people think all life in NYC in that era was a Charles Bronson " Death Wish " movie set. It's a shame so many people live in fear these days.

Some people have a problem with facts. I didn't have to read the article , although I did, because I lived through those "good old days" as an adult. The article and the responses to it only remind me of the differences New Yorkers experienced back then. I ran the streets back then in all boroughs and in all nabes so I laugh when some people think all life in NYC in that era was a Charles Bronson " Death Wish " movie set. It's a shame so many people live in fear these days.

Well if the city was doing so well back then, why wasn't Dinkins re-elected?

Well if the city was doing so well back then, why wasn't Dinkins re-elected?

I don't think anyone thought that NYC was doing well back then. I know I didn't feel that way. We had the Crown Heights Riot and many residents had that perception of fear. People thought that Dinkins was in over his head as mayor because of that fear. As that NYT article rightly pointed out crime decreased during Dinkins' tenure as mayor but the perception remained. There was also the (unspoken) attitude that "they " had their turn so let's move on. Bluntly speaking it was "we had a WASP, two Jews, and a black" and the city is falling apart so let's elect the Italian guy this time. I'm speaking of John Lindsay, Abe Beame, Ed Koch, and David Dinkins of course. We oldtimers realize that the city was bankrupt in Beame's term and was falling apart under Koch and Dinkins. The sad part was that Beame and Dinkins took the blame for the city's condition while Ed Koch was actually the mayor during NYC's longest decline. People loved him while the city was crumbling around them. VG8, it's all about perception when it comes to local politics. Clearly you have your opinion and I have mine. I might not agree with you but that's life. Carry on........BTW did you put your bid in on the castle in Fieldston yet?

I don't think anyone thought that NYC was doing well back then. I know I didn't feel that way. We had the Crown Heights Riot and many residents had that perception of fear. People thought that Dinkins was in over his head as mayor because of that fear. As that NYT article rightly pointed out crime decreased during Dinkins' tenure as mayor but the perception remained. There was also the (unspoken) attitude that "they " had their turn so let's move on. Bluntly speaking it was "we had a WASP, two Jews, and a black" and the city is falling apart so let's elect the Italian guy this time. I'm speaking of John Lindsay, Abe Beame, Ed Koch, and David Dinkins of course. We oldtimers realize that the city was bankrupt in Beame's term and was falling apart under Koch and Dinkins. The sad part was that Beame and Dinkins took the blame for the city's condition while Ed Koch was actually the mayor during NYC's longest decline. People loved him while the city was crumbling around them. VG8, it's all about perception when it comes to local politics. Clearly you have your opinion and I have mine. I might not agree with you but that's life. Carry on........BTW did you put your bid in on the castle in Fieldston yet?

lol... Castle in Fieldston? Anywho you just reminded me that I have to vote tonight when I get back to Riverdale.

Archived