B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

It's something that can be bothersome later on if not taken care of. It won't stop you from being processed but if you get the job and forget about putting it on it can be a problem, so my answer is yes put the a3 restriction on now so you don't have to worry about it later.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The license shouldn't have any restrictions except the a3 restriction.

Per multiple prior posts, the A3 is fine. If you were to remove this restriction, you will have to see a US DOT medical examiner and get a physical completed. If you intend to work for another bus/trucking company while you wait to be called, you will have to get this A3 removed and have a physical completed.

If you successfully passed the CDL skill/road test on and after June 2015 you will receive the "E" restriction, "E - No Manual Transmission Equipped CMV" unless you took your road test on a Class B vehicle with a manual transmission.

The license shouldn't have any restrictions except the a3 restriction.

It can also have a "E1" restriction which means Automatic Transmission (basically means you were only road tested with a vehicle with automatic transmission) which I believe is fine for driving an MTA bus and also if you where glasses/contacts is may also have a "B" restriction which means Corrective Lenses.

It's something that can be bothersome later on if not taken care of. It won't stop you from being processed but if you get the job and forget about putting it on it can be a problem, so my answer is yes put the a3 restriction on now so you don't have to worry about it later.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

thanks i appreciate it has a3 restriction  on it 

@mastap 123. What is your list#?

my list number is 407*

Hello Everybody,

It was my understanding that the list number goes in order of the actual list number.  Over the weekend, a new bus driver advised that it is actually random that they call you and not necessarily by list number.  Just curious as this changes things up a bit.  Thanks.

Well "SmoothOperator 1Wall", I certainly don't agree with "busman718" about calling that person or anybody an idiot, but I do agree that the information is idiotic and inaccurate. These DCAS lists are carefully and deliberately established based on a variety of criterion including exam results, BOSS (Bus Operator Selection Survey) and military veteran status and even relatives of MTA workers killed on the job.  Even when you call the hiring center and you ask about the status of the list, they have been sequential. When I called them this pass Friday (5/13), they told me that the last list number processed was 95.

About to apply to Red Hook On the Road for this CDL!! Excited! I wonder if they will know exactly the endorsements I will need because i am still confused by it...

any tips before I apply? Also, any updates with 4600? I know 200 letters to the first few got sent out awhile back.

Goodluck to all, cheers.

list #31**

About to apply to Red Hook On the Road for this CDL!! Excited! I wonder if they will know exactly the endorsements I will need because i am still confused by it...

any tips before I apply? Also, any updates with 4600? I know 200 letters to the first few got sent out awhile back.

Goodluck to all, cheers.

list #31**

First of all, what about the endorsements are you confused about? According to the Notice of Examination and this DMV handout, all you need is a Class B CDL with passenger endorsement and no other restrictions (except corrective lenses). Now, from my experience, it would be wise to get the School Bus {S} endorsement as well. This way, you just have to take one [1] road test in order to obtain both endorsements.

As far as any tips, just listen and do what your instructors say to you, and you'll be fine. Even after a few lessons, you'll start developing 'specific' questions based on the various concepts.

As far as updates, they did send out the first 200 letters, and one of the other members has reported that they have processed the first 95 candidates.

Good luck!!

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
Typo...

First of all, what about the endorsements are you confused about? According to the Notice of Examination and this DMV handout, all you need is a Class B CDL with passenger endorsement and no other restrictions (except corrective lenses). Now, from my experience, it would be wise to get the School Bus {S} endorsement as well. This way, you just have to take one [1] road test in order to obtain both endorsements.

As far as any tips, just listen and do what your instructors say to you, and you'll be fine. Even after a few lessons, you'll start developing 'specific' questions based on the various concepts.

As far as updates, they did send out the first 200 letters, and one of the other members has reported that they have processed the first 95 candidates.

Good luck!!

Thank you good sir, always there for us with accurate and excellent info. Much appreciated, Young.

I am still a newbie on this forum and I certainly make no claims of knowing better than moderator "YoungNYCSubwayFan", but I respectfully must point out an omission on his/her reply to "MTAhopeful1" about CDL permit question... The restrictions must also include A3 (Medical Certificate Exemption) which means you have to check off the "Excepted Interstate (EI)" or "Excepted Intrastate (EA)" box on the MV-44 form when you go to DMV to apply for the permit. Basically these medical exemptions are generally for bus drivers (both transit and school) subject to NYS Article 19-A. There are two types of medical certifications, the Federal Medical Exam (FMCSA) which is usually for truckers and the NYS Medical Exam which as I stated before is generally for municipal employees, school bus drivers and I believe some of the other transit systems. The NYS Article 19-A exam is the one that will apply to you so that is why you must select the "EI" or "EA" otherwise the clerk will require that you get you FMCSA (Federal Medical) card before they will even issue you a permit. All this information is in the NYS CDL manual so be prepared with this info so that you don't have problems filling out the MV-44 form. The other restriction allowed on the permit is "B" for corrective lenses, which "YoungNYCSubwayFan" has correctly already mentioned. Of course if you have 20/20 vision without wearing corrective lenses (glasses/contacts) then this restriction will not be listed on your permit.

By the way... important to note, you must also take the Air Brakes exam, but unlike the Passenger and School Bus exams that earn you extra endorsement (P & S), the Air Brakes exams works a little differently. Instead of getting an "Air Brakes" endorsement (which doesn't exist), the permit will not list the "L" restriction, which indicates that you have not passed the Air Brakes exam. If the "L" restriction is listed on your permit, it means that you have not yet passed the Air Brakes exam. In order to be accepted by the MTA training program you must pass at minimum the General Knowledge, Passenger and Air Brakes exams.

One other thing I learned but did not know about which I found rather interesting, if you pass your Passenger Exam you can request that your license be upgraded to a "Class C" license with a "P" endorsement and an "N2" restriction right away. This will allow you to take a job that requires a CDL Class "C" license to drive a smaller passenger vehicle with less than 8-passengers. I believe there is a cost to do this but at least you have the option. If the examiner/clerk asks you why you need both a license and a permit or is refusing to give you both a Class "C" license and a permit, explain that you will be driving a smaller vehicle which requires the Class "C" with "P" Endorsement and an "N2" restriction while you are learning to drive a larger vehicle (bus). I recommend you only do this if you are in need of a driving job sooner than MTA calling you or taking lessons and taking the road test on your own.

As far as the School Bus endorsement, I completely agree with "YoungNYCSubwayFan" that you just as well take the school bus written exam as well just as "YoungNYCSubwayFan" mentioned you will get both with just one road test and will allow you to be eligible for school bus jobs if the need arises in the future or while you are waiting for your DCAS number to come up. It cost nothing extra to take the School Bus written exam on the same day as you take the other exams. For the same $10 you can take as many exams as you want during that day so there is nothing to loose. Besides, even if you decide not to take the school bus exam you are gonna have to study that section of the CDL manual anyway as there are many questions on the Passenger exam that are only covered in the school bus exam study material. There was even 1 or 2 questions on the General Knowledge exam I took that were School Bus related. So if you gonna have to study the School Bus section of the CDL manual anyways you might as well take the School Bus exam too. Just saying... :)

Youngnycsubwayfan I took my cdl test on an automatic bus and it has no manual transmission restriction. Does that matter?

Congratulations! Having your full CDL is a big plus! You have removed/reduced the stress of taking the DMV road test at the end of your training which will allow you to better focus on the MTA specific training... My understanding is that the Transit buses have automatic transmissions so you should be fine. If on the other hand I am wrong about that then the MTA will have you retake the road test with one of their manual transmission buses, but I don't think there are any.

I am still a newbie on this forum and I certainly make no claims of knowing better than moderator "YoungNYCSubwayFan", but I respectfully must point out an omission on his/her reply to "MTAhopeful1" about CDL permit question... 

By the way... important to note, you must also take the Air Brakes exam, but unlike the Passenger and School Bus exams that earn you extra endorsement (P & S), the Air Brakes exams works a little differently. Instead of getting an "Air Brakes" endorsement (which doesn't exist), the permit will not list the "L" restriction, which indicates that you have not passed the Air Brakes exam. If the "L" restriction is listed on your permit, it means that you have not yet passed the Air Brakes exam. In order to be accepted by the MTA training program you must pass at minimum the General Knowledge, Passenger and Air Brakes exams.

One other thing I learned but did not know about which I found rather interesting, if you pass your Passenger Exam you can request that your license be upgraded to a "Class C" license with a "P" endorsement and an "N2" restriction right away...

I successfully completed my last medical examination in March of 2016, and, from looking at the new forms online, it's the same medical examination. I just don't know offhand why they have a Federal and a State certificate, especially for folks like myself who have successfully taken a road test in a manual-transmission tractor trailer and a manual-transmission bus (yes, you did read that correctly folks), in which I can easily apply myself to either the Federal or State examination.

As far as the A3 restriction or the "EI" vs "EA", it honestly depends on what you're going to use your CDL for. If it's just for Transit, then you can have the A3 restriction with the Intrastate option - I know some bus operators who had this back in Feb. of 2014 and it wasn't a problem.

I agree 100% about the air brakes. It's just simply another test, that's all. My apologies.

As far as the "Class C" CDL with the N2 passenger restriction, unless you're desperately looking for a job, I wouldn't bother. The reason why is because, especially after working for an Access-A-Ride company for 6 months, those small buses and the bigger buses are two different things, plus it's a different atmosphere as well. If you successfully have your permit, and are looking for experience, why not look at Seven's thread about a possible opportunity? From doing a quick Google search, most of those buses are similar to NYC Transit's buses...(just a thought) 

Congratulations! Having your full CDL is a big plus! You have removed/reduced the stress of taking the DMV road test at the end of your training...

Congrats! All of the buses, including the vintage ones, have automatic transmissions, so you don't have to worry about that.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
Additional Information...

anyone have the DCS#  to check the 4600 list ?

347-643-8229/30/31/32. Mon-Fri 11am - 4pm.

Last time I checked last Friday (May 13th) they processed thru #95.  For a couple of months now its been reported that they have sent letters to the first 200, which would have meant I should have received a letter and since I had not I decided to start calling every other week to make sure my letter wasn't lost in the mail but they keep telling me "NO" about letters to the first 200. I have posted here before about this but people continue assuming that whomever reported that the first 200 were contacted is correct but it just isn't so.

What is the procedure if you have high bp? If I go to medical with a note of clearance stating that I'm medically able to drive as part of the job, from my physician in advance will they clear me?

If you come with a note stating that you're not only medically able to drive, but that your high blood pressure is also under control, you should be fine.

@youngnycsubwayfan. The letter states, on 5/19/16 I was seen by dr. &$@&$ and I am clinically and medically able to drive as part of the job. Do you think that is ok in conjunction with a physical bottle of the bp medicine I'm on showing that is being controlled? And what happens in medical if it's high cuz of being nervous or anxiety?