B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

posted this ? on the other forum as well. Dont mean this to sound like a dumb question but i rather ask than find out the hard way lol.

Going into the 9/6 class, have been reading the forums and preparing myself. Basic question that has been confusing me though. I have my  CDL B and  on the Nys road test we HAD to turn into the left lane when making a left turn.  In MTA training or even in general  (considering bus stops and such) do the busses turn into the left lane first or always the right lane from the left turn, 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

posted this ? on the other forum as well. Dont mean this to sound like a dumb question but i rather ask than find out the hard way lol.

Going into the 9/6 class, have been reading the forums and preparing myself. Basic question that has been confusing me though. I have my CDL B and on the Nys road test we HAD to turn into the left lane when making a left turn. In MTA training or even in general (considering bus stops and such) do the busses turn into the left lane first or always the right lane from the left turn,

Right lane, you will see the difference between what you needed to do for dmv and what you need to do for mta.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I personally have an issue with the 3-5 that i have to get over. In my experience it simply isnt enough time, i count it out n by the time i look left for 5 secs then front then 5 secs later right somehow i cant seem to focus on the front. That issue is minimal, the running of the yellow light and if anyone can, explain pivot points in some detail please. 

Checking mirrors 3-5 seconds: It takes practice, but it can be done. Turn off music and don't talk to people.

Yellow lights: It depends, obviously keep an eye on the countdown clocks on both sides of the intersection. If the green light is "stale", don't push it.

Pivot points: I'll try to explain it as I understand it. I drive 45' buses almost exclusively (but once in a while I've taken a 40' MCI D4000 somewhere). On a MCI D4500 the pivot point between the dual rear tires. You pivot around objects, curbs etc.

nly0kw.jpg

Look at this bus going up the ramp at the PABT. The bus operator positions his bus so that the tires do not mount the curb. Again, the pivot point on the D4500 would be midpoint the rear tires. For folks new to driving a bus, you have to remember that your front tires are behind you - this helps, or really is essential in angling the bus in such a situation like this.

Edited by 161NewYork

ok, thank you

So, there is MTA qualifying, then a DMV road test? As I understand the process, it's get CDL permit->pass MTA training->get CDL license->. And if you get the license before training, better for you; but you still need to pass MTA training, correct?

So, there is MTA qualifying, then a DMV road test? As I understand the process, it's get CDL permit->pass MTA training->get CDL license->. And if you get the license before training, better for you; but you still need to pass MTA training, correct?

If you have a NYS CDL permit, you must pass both MTA qualification/training, then pass the NYS DMV skills/road test. Once the NYS DMV skills/road test is passed you will be hired by the MTA.

When you have a CDL license you simply have to successfully pass the MTA qualification/training program to be hired permanently.

Edited by 161NewYork

Make sure you get there early, i seen this one person arrive 25 mins late and was sent packing....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yeah the lady that did my final processing said the same thing. That if you are late, you have to come back to livingston and wait for next class.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Hey i know this is off topic but what are the twu-100 depots??

Direct from the TWU 100 website:

OA: Tuskeegee Depot, Kingsbridge Depot, Manhattanville Depot, Michael J. Quill Depot, Mother Clara Hale Depot, West Farms Depot, Gunhill Depot, Zerega CMF (Central Maintenance Facility) [Source]

TA: East New York, Flatbush Depot, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, Jackie Gleason Depot, Ulmer Park Depot [Source]
Edited by 161NewYork

Direct from the TWU 100 website:

OA: Tuskeegee Depot, Kingsbridge Depot, Manhattanville Depot, Michael J. Quill Depot, Mother Clara Hale Depot, West Farms Depot, Gunhill Depot, Zerega CMF (Central Maintenance Facility) [Source]

TA: East New York, Flatbush Depot, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, Jackie Gleason Depot, Ulmer Park Depot [Source]

Every depot in brooklyn manhattan and the bronx are twu 100. Queens and Staten Island are ATU

Qualified day 9 thankfully. Glad that's over with lol.

Any advice I can get would be appreciated. Going into next class with only a permit and not enought time to schedule a road test.

I am doing lessons with NY CDL club.

Lol thanks.

does anyone know the last range of numbers, for 4600, to get a letter to start the process

I'm at #82x and I'm stating Zerega on the 19th. I know there was someone doing processing that was #84x this past Thursday also.

I initially got my letter on August 22nd .

Edited by dac9050

So if you're going into the 10 day training LISTEN UP!

Day 7 being the "qualifying day" is kinda BS. You MUST do good on day 6, to be able to qualify on day 7.

But here's the thing... Day 6 is a route in downtown Manhattan (pedestrians, bicycles, cab drivers, etc...) and day 7 is nearby the depot, unless your depot is in Manhattan, then it's probably in the Bronx or queens. Day 7 is a route in a quiet area, MUCH easier than day 6.

So in reality, Day 6 is the REAL qualifying day. If you can drive well in Manhattan on day 6 then you will breeze by day 7...

Just an FYI.

I too qualified today, day 9....

Good luck to those starting next week.

So if you're going into the 10 day training LISTEN UP!

Day 7 being the "qualifying day" is kinda BS. You MUST do good on day 6, to be able to qualify on day 7.

But here's the thing... Day 6 is a route in downtown Manhattan (pedestrians, bicycles, cab drivers, etc...) and day 7 is nearby the depot, unless your depot is in Manhattan, then it's probably in the Bronx or queens. Day 7 is a route in a quiet area, MUCH easier than day 6.

So in reality, Day 6 is the REAL qualifying day. If you can drive well in Manhattan on day 6 then you will breeze by day 7...

Just an FYI.

I too qualified today, day 9....

Good luck to those starting next week.

Congrats. Anyone had to the road test om day 10? What's expected or what happens that day?

yes a good amount, I heard almost half of us are going to day 10.

Day 10, from what I've been told, goes as follows:

You wait in the lunch room at Zerega and one by one you'll go on the bus for your final qualification road test with 2 superintendents.

If you pass, then you'll finish up the article 19a paperwork, and start training on different buses, such as the new Nova, New Flyer, and RTS.

If you fail, you'll be taken upstairs to resign.

1 benefit to day 10 is it's right by zerega... no Manhattan to deal with!