B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

That's strange you did those things after you qualified, all of us who passed on day 7 or 9 were sent to Jamaica depot to get qualified on driving the RTS and nova.

Yea I think it was because I didn't have my license and had my road test scheduled for the same week. I don't know but I was told to report to the same depot 126th everyday until my road test date.

Honestly not bad... My group got a great Supt. so if we mess it up it's on us lol.

I think we have a chance at day 7 though. We'll see how much of a wake up call manhattan is.

You should be fine. My only gripe with Manhattan is the traffic and the pedestrians. Everyone has the right away except the drivers and everyone is on your way for no reason.

You probably wont get the same route everyday since you'll be on extra list. One of the best parts of finishing with line training is the day you get your badge. Yea I've been pretty comfortable from the beginning cause I've been driving commercial vehicles for a while now.

Yea that's what I was told. I'll be extra. Guy that trained with me claims once we graduate, he's taking over someone's route which is straight 4-12am sun-thurs which is a good shift in my opinion. We'll see where they'll throw me.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for those who have their cdl class B permit and did the 7 or 9 day training I'm not exactly sure how long it is. Anyways after that if you had your cdl permit do you get your cdl class B license after that? Thanks in advance

You'll pay for your dmv road test while in training. You then give them the receipt and they'll schedule your road test near Zerega. But yes, you'll take the dmv road test after you qualify the 10- day training.

And just an FYI, it's a 10 day training program with chances to qualify on days 7, 9, or 10, depending on how well you do.

As of today, according to DCAS, the last eligible certified is list # 1024. With my list # in the 1700s, what's an educated guess before they reach me. Am I looking at about 6-12 more months?

It has been like this for quite some time. They are going to start catching up with people like me who re-instated their names on the list or who cleared medical holds and fixed license problems. My list number less than 150 - not sure if they are going to take me though (keeping this private for now)... 

Maybe 6 months may be realistic in your case.

Edited by 161NewYork

Thanks for the response. I understand, we all have certain hurdles to get through, such as myself.

All we can do now is pray that everything works out in our favor..

Anytime.

If you haven't already, get some lessons.

If you drive a car everyday, start checking your mirrors every 3-5 seconds with two hands on the wheel using push-pull. Make your turns, cross checking your mirrors and for example you are making a right turn be sure to know your pivot points.

Get vision checks everyone! Don't wait until the TA docs tell you that you need glasses before you start driving a bus! If you need glasses for driving start driving with them on! It will take a week or two to get used to. Make sure you get a spare pair or two. Get the cheapest pairs you can get - this isn't a fashion show unless you have the money to spend! 

Edited by 161NewYork

Anytime.

If you haven't already, get some lessons.

If you drive a car everyday, start checking your mirrors every 3-5 seconds with two hands on the wheel using push-pull. Make your turns, cross checking your mirrors and for example you are making a right turn be sure to know your pivot points.

Get vision checks everyone! Don't wait until the TA docs tell you that you need glasses before you start driving a bus! If you need glasses for driving start driving with them on! It will take a week or two to get used to. Make sure you get a spare pair or two. Get the cheapest pairs you can get - this isn't a fashion show unless you have the money to spend!

I got a vision test done too, highly recommend it. I dont need it even though sometimes i wonder if i did. Also got the cdl info so would definitely be working on that because i think they're going to be calling real soon. I drive and practice calling out the hazards and checking the mirrors, i personally have an issue with the 3-5 that i have to get over. In my experience it simply isnt enough time, i count it out n by the time i look left for 5 secs then front then 5 secs later right somehow i cant seem to focus on the front. That issue is minimal, the running of the yellow light and if anyone can, explain pivot points in some detail please. Also anyone knows whats the starting salary annually in the first year? Isnt about the money but rather making sure i can pay my current bills or if i need to find a cheaper place to cut costs also being able to compare it with another MTA exam i took to see which position would b best for my family.

As always, many thanks guys.

@sergio1221 I'm glad they where able to help you. When I went in Thursday, they had us sign in, and took my license to check it for any moving violations. They went over the initial paper work, and then send you to lab to do initial drug test. Once thats done, you go back and they send you home with the second package of info to fill out.

The bad part was that the guy that was doing the bus operator paperwork was also the one helping everyone in the line and didn't start until everyone was checked in.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Edited by dac9050

I do know you can go to social security office and ask for ssn work history but there is a fee (can't remember). I've kept or scanned my taxes, so I've been using that for some info. Also credit reports have a lot of address and employment history. I've been going nuts with all this details they ask for on the forms.

Ps. Yeah it was like that last week 2. Mostly 80-90% where there for other things.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Edited by dac9050

Yes they want all employers since high school. On the books only Ofcourse. You can get a work history form from your social security office. It costs 137 dollars and it doesn't show years, just months. For the older jobs just try to estimate the month. The SS printout will give u years which helps out so just try to guess the months to the best of your ability. If your a month or 2 off its ok. Also yes u need a permit and it can not be expired. You go to Livingston with an expired permit they will tell you to come back when its renewed.