Transit Workers join forces for missing teen

Mtatransit

I've been seeing flyers of this missing kid all over the place.... Jokes aside, Is he the kid of someone wealthy or something?

All the missing kids you briefly hear about on fox 5 news or w/e, but none have gotten this much attention over the years....

Why isn't little Avonte given the 10-second-with-the-sad-music-in-the-background treatment....

Crap, the above sounds f***ed up....

Lemme reciprocate the question  - Why don't the other missing kids get as much attention that little Avonte's gotten.....

Hope they find the kid alive though.....

I think it's a mix of the fact that the city screwed up by letting him walk right out of school, so all the other city agencies feel a special urge to fix that mistake, and that the parents have taken the initiative to increase support and news about Avonte. Most kids who go missing are coming from messed up, broken families, and are often kidnapped by relatives. This kid from a good home with parents who want to protect him. 

I really hope he is found alive, but I just hope he's found at all. You're going to be hearing those "police are searching for a missing child" for the next 10 years otherwise. "Every 15 minutes UNTIL HE IS FOUND" is the memo from the Chief Transportation Officer. I wonder how long until they bring Charlie in to record a NTT version?

I really hope he is found alive, but I just hope he's found at all. You're going to be hearing those "police are searching for a missing child" for the next 10 years otherwise. "Every 15 minutes UNTIL HE IS FOUND" is the memo from the Chief Transportation Officer. I wonder how long until they bring Charlie in to record a NTT version?

they have em on the IRT arrival boards already, so it's a matter of time.

I've been seeing flyers of this missing kid all over the place.... Jokes aside, Is he the kid of someone wealthy or something?

All the missing kids you briefly hear about on fox 5 news or w/e, but none have gotten this much attention over the years....

Why isn't little Avonte given the 10-second-with-the-sad-music-in-the-background treatment....

Lemme reciprocate the question  - Why don't the other missing kids get as much attention that little Avonte's gotten.....

I'd have to agree though.

This one kid is having a lot of attention when kids appear missing every day.  Apologies for sounding cold but it's damn true.

It might be because there stereotyping him because he's autistic and likes trains.... like Darius... and we all know what happened with Darius.

They might worried this kid might take some kind of transit vehicle for a joyride... 

I hope he's found as well, but if not, I'm sure the Chief Transportation Officer is able to rescind a directive.

It might be because there stereotyping him because he's autistic and likes trains.... like Darius... and we all know what happened with Darius.

They might worried this kid might take some kind of transit vehicle for a joyride... 

Avonte sounds much lower functioning that Darius was, I get the impression it is unlikely he would be able to pull something like that off

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Most missing kids don't get this much attention. Especially not having at least a hundred new recruits from the NYPD combing through every nick and cranny of a neighborhood. I'm not trying to sound insensitive and I hope they find this kid alive and well, but there's something weird about how everyone's treating this case.

It's pretty simple... The parents are going to sue the DOE for negligence and rightfully so and the city is simply trying to make up for the huge blunder.  It would be one thing if the parents were watching him and he ran off.  This is a particular case because the school knew that this kid was autistic and that he needed to be watched like a hawk, and still someone dropped the ball.  Autistic children have a tendency to run off more so than other children, and the school knew this, so it wasn't as if they didn't know what type of child they were dealing with.  That's what makes this story really disturbing.  

It's not as if this child can yell out and call for help like other missing children. He can't speak, so the likelihood of finding him becomes even bleaker.  Many autistic children like to play hide-and-seek and they don't even know that they're endangering themselves.  He is 14 but mentally he has the capacity of a very young child, so he is in no condition to fully understand the situation at all, and at 5'3", with his mental capacity, you're literally talking about a baby more or less.  Sad but true.  Knowing this, therefore, the city is going the extra mile because this situation would have parents who have children with special needs or with disabilities around the city frantic about the possibility of their child being in the care of the DOE and possibly going missing as well.  It just opens up the city to a whole bunch of situations that they'd rather not have.  They would rather find this kid, pay the parents, and make this case go away.  The longer it lingers, the worse the city looks.

You'd be surprised at how many autistic children there are in this city and that number is increasing rapidly. I was actually going to volunteer at a place Downtown that works with autistic children as I was contemplating working independently as a Speech Pathologist.  This is a field that is growing and dare I say also growing $$$, as there is BIG money involved.  I'm sure the city gets additional funding for these sorts of students and they don't want to lose that.

It's pretty simple... The parents are going to sue the DOE for negligence and rightfully so and the city is simply trying to make up for the huge blunder.  It would be one thing if the parents were watching him and he ran off.  This is a particular case because the school knew that this kid was autistic and needed to be watched like a hawk, and still someone dropped the ball.  Autistic children have a tendency to run off more so than other children, and the school knew this, so it wasn't as if they didn't know what type of child they were dealing with.  That's what makes this story really disturbing.  

It's not as if this child can yell out and call for help like other missing children. He can't speak, so the likelihood of finding him becomes even bleaker.  Many autistic children like to play hide-and-seek and they don't even know that they're endangering themselves.  He is 14 but mentally he has the mental capacity of a very young child, so he is no condition to fully understand the situation at all and at 5'3" with his mental capacity you're literally talking about a baby more or less.  Sad but true.  Knowing this, therefore the city is going the extra mile because this situation would have parents around the city frantic about the possibility of their child being in the care of the DOE and possibly going missing as well.  It just opens up the city to a whole bunch of situations that they'd rather not have.

In summary: CYA. 

In summary: CYA. 

Exactly.  If they don't look for him at this point, with the lawsuit pending, that would make the city look even worse (since they're the ones that caused the problem) and that could even raise the damages awarded substantially.  With there being video tape of what happened, it's just a matter of how much this family will get.

The other thing that's amazing is that AFTER the school knew that the kid was missing, they waited almost an HOUR to report him missing to the police! This story is a parent's worse nightmare, with cover up all over the place.

Exactly.  If they don't look for him at this point, with the lawsuit pending, that would make the city look even worse (since they're the ones that caused the problem) and that could even raise the damages awarded substantially.  With there being video tape of what happened, it's just a matter of how much this family will get.

The other thing that's amazing is that AFTER the school knew that the kid was missing, they waited almost an HOUR to report him missing to the police! This story is a parent's worse nightmare, with cover up all over the place.

In itself a good deed, but I cannot help but in a way find it hypocritical that the City Of New York cannot make such concerted efforts for all children who end up missing. I have to conclude on the same thing as B35 and yourself, the City Of New York are shining major publicity on this situation to save face.

Obviously we know if it was'nt for the pending lawsuit against the NYDOE the NYPD would be dragging their feet concerning this situation and the MTA would have not aking such a concerted effort to find a missing child.

I was very displeased by the bad publicity that the media has made on the missing child and the fact they say that he has a facination with trains, over and over, connecting it with autism ...... ridiculous. Obviously he may not even be in the subway system. Apparently.

I would imagine that the majority of people who are enthusiasts or transit advocates are not autistic. But people just eat this bad publicity up and assume that every time a couple of kids come into the subway with DSLRS and point and shoot cameras that automatically they are autistic or mentally challenged. people can be so shallow and that includes people in the media following the story.

In itself a good deed, but I cannot help but in a way find it hypocritical that the City Of New York cannot make such concerted efforts for all children who end up missing. I have to conclude on the same thing as B35 and yourself, the City Of New York are shining major publicity on this situation to save face.

Obviously we know if it was'nt for the pending lawsuit against the NYDOE the NYPD would be dragging their feet concerning this situation and the MTA would have not aking such a concerted effort to find a missing child.

I was very displeased by the bad publicity that the media has made on the missing child and the fact they say that he has a facination with trains, over and over, connecting it with autism ...... ridiculous. Obviously he may not even be in the subway system. Apparently.

I would imagine that the majority of people who are enthusiasts or transit advocates are not autistic. But people just eat this bad publicity up and assume that every time a couple of kids come into the subway with DSLRS and point and shoot cameras that automatically they are autistic or mentally challenged. people can be so shallow and that includes people in the media following the story.

I got some "looks" on the (N) train just for having a camera in my hand...

There isn't no bad publicity related to the RF community with this story. most people don't even know a Railfan community even exists, and if they do they probably don't care. It isn't bad publicity for the kid as AFAIK the media hasn't said anything about the hobby affecting his life in negative manner.

And TBH I doubt people assume that a group of kids in the subway with cameras have something wrong with them. For some reason transitfans are real paranoid about what outsiders think of the hobby, everyone is attached to some sort of negative stereotype, IDK why railfans care so much about the rep of the hobby.

This kid is posted all over Tumblr and his interest in trains is not even mentioned.

Well keep in mind there are alot of memes out there on the net that mocks railfanners in particular. On top of that I personally had problems with delinquent kids dissing me for simply taking subway photography. The crazys in the chatroom knows the stories I had to tell in regards to days I hit the field for photography pertaining to rapid transit. It was'nt pretty.

The stereotypes are prevalent, more than you realize.

I had more plesant experiences with the NYPD and the PAPD then some of these delinquents that frequent the subways or the shallow straphangers who are so called professionals by status that do not understand the New Yorker subculture and all it's different facets that make up the atmosphere of the Big Apple of which there are many subgroups. The railfanning community is one of them.

**However there are exceptions to the rule. Some of the straphangers out there are actually cool about it because they are aware, (Hey thats cool! or a smile as positive feedback as they see me do my thing, or they may ask questions about the subway in general which initiates short, positive and neighborly conversation) I've experienced some very positive experiences as well as I hit the field, camera in hand. But the majority of New Yorkers it seems are ignorant to the hobby.

***It's a tough pill to swallow but its the truth, and I will not deny myself for a second. Same attitude I take on political, societal, economic, ethical and human rights issues in the off topic subforum debates is how I will advocate here in terms of railfanning. Problem is the majority of New Yorkers are blinded by the local status quo in which puts down railfanners as a bunch of retards, which I resent.

In fact it isnt that bad now. Try what railfanners went through before many of todays members of the railfanning internet community was even born.

Well keep in mind there are alot of memes out there on the net that mocks railfanners in particular. On top of that I personally had problems with delinquent kids dissing me for simply taking subway photography. The crazys in the chatroom knows the stories I had to tell in regards to days I hit the field for photography pertaining to rapid transit. It was'nt pretty.

I had more plesant experiences with the NYPD and the PAPD then some of these delinquents that frequent the subways or the shallow straphangers who are so called professionals by status that do not understand the New Yorker subculture and all it's different facets that make up the atmosphere of the Big Apple of which there are many subgroups. The railfanning community is one of them.

**However there are exceptions to the rule. Some of the straphangers out there are actually cool about it because they are aware, (Hey thats cool! or a smile as positive feedback as they see me do my thing, or they may ask questions about the subway in general which initiates short, positive and neighborly conversation) I've experienced some very positive experiences as well as I hit the field, camera in hand. But the majority of New Yorkers it seems are ignorant to the hobby.

***It's a tough pill to swallow but its the truth, and I will not deny myself for a second. Same attitude I take on political, societal, economic, ethical and human rights issues in the off topic subforum debates is how I will advocate here in terms of railfanning. Problem is the majority of New Yorkers are blinded by the local status quo in which puts down railfanners as a bunch of retards, which I resent.

In fact it isnt that bad now. Try what railfanners went through before many of todays members of the railfanning internet community was even born.

My picture taking of buses has made 2 people come to this site that didn't even know about it: one was a transit worker that worked at the Rail Control Center on 54th Street and 11th Avenue. The other was a guy waiting for the bus on 34th and 9th.

My picture taking of buses has made 2 people come to this site that didn't even know about it: one was a transit worker that worked at the Rail Control Center on 54th Street and 11th Avenue. The other was a guy waiting for the bus on 34th and 9th.

Same. One of the persons who said she will join the site is a police officer. She checked out my work on the (6) and thought it was cool. The thread is archived.

She ended up asking me questions about how the switches lead to westchester yard as a genuine question, so I was happy to show her the pics to explain how (she knew the MTA rules on photography solid and my rights as a straphanger so it was understood we was simply having friendly conversation off the books you can say). That caught her interest and she said she will check out the site as she found subway history as facinating to her.

I go on all kinds of non transit sites and never seen a meme making fun of railfans, can you post some examples? I wouldn't be surprised if these "memes" are made by railfans themselves. Majority of New Yorkers... majority of NYers don't even know a railfan community exists :lol:

As for those kids "dissing" you for taking pictures of trains, just brush that off, people get made fun of for all kinds of things, IMO its not that serious where you should catch feelings about it.

As for what railfans back then went though,  on the other forum I never seen any of the older heads complain about the hobby being worse back then than it Is now. This is the first time I'm hearing about this....

I hate when railfans get on this tip, it honestly comes across as the so called "normal" people of the hobby using the autistic people as an scapegoat for giving the hobby a "bad name".... when in reality the hobby doesn't have a bad name at all.

Examples as requested:

3r3fow.jpg

o3de6.jpg

37170982.jpg

3r4vkh.jpg

Plus many NY times articles.

Example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/nyregion/children-with-autism-connecting-via-bus-and-train.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Like many children with autism spectrum disorders, Ravi is fascinated by trains and buses, entranced by their motion and predictability. And for years, these children crowded the exhibitions of the modest New York Transit Museum, chattering about schedules and engine components and old subway maps.

“This is really their element,” said Ravi’s mother, Juliana Boehm, who brings Ravi and Oliver, his 8-year-old brother, who is also on the autism spectrum, to the museum almost weekly. “If I suggested another activity,” she added, “it may have provoked anxiety.”

I hate when railfans get on this tip, it honestly comes across as the so called "normal" people of the hobby using the autistic people as an scapegoat for giving the hobby a "bad name".... when in reality the hobby doesn't have a bad name at all.

to Add, they are but the source of the stereotypes perpertrated is not the railfanners. However again as I stated the internet changed that. It clarified for many the real deal behind people who are railfanners, who are not a bunch of wierd people disability or not. Plus many are leading very successful professional, academic, romantic  and social lives, again disability or not. I've seen some positive artiles in the newspapers as of late so it seems the notions of the hobby are changing slowly but surely. So I can agree with you to an extent after musing on it, but not 100%.

Those first two first vids are harmless..

Those photo memes were clearly made by other railfans, I never seen even seen the term "railfan" used outside of the hobby.

That article is harmless as well, well to the railfan community at least.....

Yeah I'd say most of that stuff is railfans making fun of other railfans.

Archived