MTA Prepares for Winter Weather Conditions

Harry

post-5097-0-80654900-1388663340_thumb.jpg
MTA New York City Transit, MTA Metro-North Railroad, MTA Long Island Rail Road, and MTA Bridges and Tunnels are preparing for winter weather conditions expected to affect our region through Friday afternoon. The National Weather Service is calling for extreme cold for the next several days and snow predicted to follow Thursday into Friday. MTA personnel will continue to monitor the U.S. National Weather Service and have direct access to a customized weather prediction service that provides regularly updated weather forecasts. Accurate forewarning of a snow event translates into adequate preparation times, allowing officials to decide whether to hold workers after their shifts and bring others in prior to the beginning of a storm.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-80654900-1388663340_thumb.jpg

I have generators at my home so I don't need to worry about that either, my internet lines are underground as well so I'm clear there. Only thing I'd probably be worried is if the professor's utilities goes out (god forbid), but it would not of been our fault either way.

I have generators at my home so I don't need to worry about that either, my internet lines are underground as well so I'm clear there. Only thing I'd probably be worried is if the professor's utilities goes out (god forbid), but it would not of been our fault either way.

lol... Look at this guy... Generators and what not...  :lol:

Just heard that the LIE will be closed at the Queens/Nassau County line in both directions starting Midnite, lasting until 5AM Friday. This might affect any MTA workers who use their cars to get to/from work. Everyone, be sure to check your transportation options before heading out. Be careful and be safe.

Another MTA update from Ch 7 Eyewitness News: ALL Express service will end at approx 545PM. There will be no express subway service across the 5 boros after 545PM. That's the latest from Ch 7 Eyewitness News.

Hart Blvd & Forest to Graniteville? That's a long walk...

Nah, to the Ferry. That's where the S48 stopped because there was already 2 buses stuck on the hill. At the top, there was a 98 that had to have left 35-40 minutes before me. On Victory, NOTHING was moving. Missed the ferry by 4 minutes.

Now, I have walked from the Ferry to my house which takes an hour and a half. I've also walked from Flatbush Bklyn, to my house via Ferry (Stood Up), that took about 4-4/12 hours. Also walked the length of Manhattan one night, that took 6 and a half hours.

Nah, to the Ferry. That's where the S48 stopped because there was already 2 buses stuck on the hill. At the top, there was a 98 that had to have left 35-40 minutes before me. On Victory, NOTHING was moving. Missed the ferry by 4 minutes.

Now, I have walked from the Ferry to my house which takes an hour and a half. I've also walked from Flatbush Bklyn, to my house via Ferry (Stood Up), that took about 4-4/12 hours. Also walked the length of Manhattan one night, that took 6 and a half hours.

Isn't there an Olympic event for that? ;)

The <6> is running local in the Bronx with some trains terminating at 3 Av-138th St (probable snowbirds), as per SubwayTime.

As of 545PM all express service has ended in all 5 boros according to the local TV news.

Just heard that the LIE will be closed at the Queens/Nassau County line in both directions starting Midnite, lasting until 5AM Friday. This might affect any MTA workers who use their cars to get to/from work. Everyone, be sure to check your transportation options before heading out. Be careful and be safe.

First time I ever heard of such a closure, is this 100% fact?

There's still Express in Manhattan right now. Idk why though

They probably didn't throw everyone onto the local tracks at 5:45 on the dot, but made all trips starting after that time run local only. That's what they've done in the past with these types of changes. 

I got on an express (B) train at Sheepshead Bay at about 6:50, and I'm pretty sure it didn't start before 5:45.

It was on the local tracks though, skipping the local stations on the local track. (Stayed on the local tracks after Kings Hwy)

They were using the express tracks to drive various OOS (B) and (Q) trains to the storage area.

Guys, people stop flooding my inbox with stupid Plan 4 questions.

Service diversions are handled on a CASE BY CASE basis. If they have a clear track to run normal, they will, otherwise they will be re-routed as needed, This "OMG NO EXPRESS SERVICE AT ALL AT 5:45 ON THE DOT!!!" is media overreaction and the MTA never stated that ALL service would be running local. Snowbirds never get laid up between 59 and 125 so expect (D) service to continue running express on that stretch all night (assuming there aren't any overnight GOs).

As of 2100, the (C) was still running, the (A) and (D) were running express on CPW, and N/B (B) service will run local to BPK (possibly still express in Brooklyn), and then change ends for a snow bird.

Service diversions are handled on a CASE BY CASE basis. If they have a clear track to run normal, they will, otherwise they will be re-routed as needed, This "OMG NO EXPRESS SERVICE AT ALL AT 5:45 ON THE DOT!!!" is media overreaction and the MTA never stated that ALL service would be running local. Snowbirds never get laid up between 59 and 125 so expect (D) service to continue running express on that stretch all night (assuming there aren't any overnight GOs).

As of 2100, the (C) was still running, the (A) and (D) were running express on CPW, and N/B (B) service will run local to BPK (possibly still express in Brooklyn), and then change ends for a snow bird.

(B) ended already early

(B) ended early already

Archived