MTA Prepares for Winter Weather Conditions

Harry

All I can say is I'm glad I'm retired and no longer have to deal with this crap. I got stuck in the storm in 2010 (the worst driving conditions I'd driven in in the 25 years I worked for NYCTA. It took me 3 hours from CPS to Yukon depot and I was the last bus to make it out of the city that night!

Railfanning in serve snow conditions is not advisable. There would be longer headways for trains and service on some line segments would be suspended if conditions worse.

Who the hell is going to attempt to railfan in a winter storm anyway? I hope no one is thinking of that.

When these storms hit during the day, photo ops.

I went railfanning during snow storms plenty of times, nothing wrong with it.

GWepAnA.jpg

Railfanning in serve snow conditions is not advisable. There would be longer headways for trains and service on some line segments would be suspended if conditions worse.

Actually going out in the snow can yield very unique, rare photo opportunities, which if taken advantage of by a SKILLED photographer, can be worthy of looking at.

On the other hand, just going out and being an "on the scene" roving reporter of the latest mundane minutia of service changes...not so much.

Complete shutdown of the Rockaways, South Brooklyn outdoor lines and the Dyre Avenue line in the Bronx. Basically any place that can accumulate a lot of snow is closed to rail traffic while plows work to remove the snow from the tracks.

Does anyone know if plan 4 is running all weekend even though the snow is done for the weekend?  I'm afraid it might be, since I saw a lot of out-of-service B trains on both the northbound & southbound Broadway tracks at 11pm last night, and all track work has been cancelled.  Usually that means plan 4 all weekend and associated lengthy headways between trains.  There's a big difference between 10 minute service with connecting express trains, and 12-15 minute service with no connections to express trains since everything must merge onto a local track.  Can easily add 20-30 minutes to a commute.

Below are the plans.  I'm guessing anything other than plan 1 will mean longer waits between trains, as trains must all merge onto the local track along certain portions of their route.  It would be nice if the reduced schedules could be published online so that people could plan better (even a PDF of a handwritten sheet of paper, if that's what the schedule looks like.)

Plan 1 (Temperatures forecast between 30F and 11F):  R.T.O. Subdivision "A" & "B" will continue normal schedules; Train cutting will be discontinued; Trains stored in the open will be 'Cut In'

Plan 2 (Temperatures forecast at 10 F and below): G.O.'s and work trains will be cancelled where needed; Operate maximum length trains on all lines except OPTO lines; Trains will be relocated to underground storage locations.

Plan 2 (MOD): G.O.'s and work trains will be cancelled where needed; At the discretion of District General Superintendent, underground storage on affected lines will be in effect; Operate maximum legth trains on all lines except OPTO lines.

Plan 3 (Forecast of ice storm, sleet and freezing rain): Subway Storm Control Center activated; Operate maximum length trains on all lines except OPTO lines; Local Storm Fighting Centers activated; All Ice Storm fighting equipment prepared for activation; G.O.'s and work trains will be cancelled where needed.

Plan 4 - (Forecast of snow, 5 inches or more): Subways Storm Control Center activated; Operate maximum length trains on all lines Including OPTO lines; Underground storage in effect; Local Storm Fighting Centers activated; All Ice Storm fighting equipment prepared for activation; G.O.'s and work trains will be cancelled where needed.

Archived