Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

Branching M100's north of Dyckman/Broadway is just as bad as extending Bx20's through that same part of Inwood the current M100 now serves..... Can't agree with either.... Branching M100's would only have people going back to taking the (1) the way they used to (before the diverted M100), or walking from the Bx7.... The M100 isn't exactly a low headway route, nor is it a route that is sought after over the Bx7.....

As far as not reverting M100's... Well there would be no point in branching the M100 if you also believe the MTA wouldn't go back to the reverted route....

I only came up with the branch idea because so many people that in area were b*tching about needing the M100 along its former route.  Seems like they'll never be happy either way.  The folks using it by the projects currently would be pissed if they diverted back to the old route and vice versa.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If bx33 was routed to 145th and bx1 to 135th (similar to bx15) in Manhattan won't that decrease wait times for riders on both corridors? Plus 5th ave /Madison what will happen if m4 got a service increase and m1 became pure LTD like the m2.

There would be delays on the Bx1 and Bx33. No need to change the routes. And the M1 does not need to be pure LTD when you have the M2..

There would be delays on the Bx1 and Bx33. No need to change the routes. And the M1 does not need to be pure LTD when you have the M2..

The M1 could run limited service for longer periods... Far too many damn stops on the M1, and the M2 is so infrequent and runs so poorly that having more M1 limited stop service wouldn't hurt.

The M1 could run limited service for longer periods... Far too many damn stops on the M1, and the M2 is so infrequent and runs so poorly that having more M1 limited stop service wouldn't hurt.

I agree. M1 LTD service should be expanded, just not absorbed into a pure M1 LTD. Local service should stay to support the M3 (and M4 north of 34 Street).

In fact, how long has the Bx2 been around? I know the Bx42 only came out in 1989.

Good question.... I honestly don't know.

If bx33 was routed to 145th and bx1 to 135th (similar to bx15) in Manhattan won't that decrease wait times for riders on both corridors?

How would an extension on current headways for both of those routes decrease wait times?

Good question.... I honestly don't know.

How would an extension on current headways for both of those routes decrease wait times?

I think qj is saying to put the Bx33 on 145th, so 145th St has additional bus service (2 bus lines serving it instead of one), and put the Bx1 on 135th St to replace the Bx33, so there will be more frequent service on 135th St. 

I think qj is saying to put the Bx33 on 145th, so 145th St has additional bus service (2 bus lines serving it instead of one), and put the Bx1 on 135th St to replace the Bx33, so there will be more frequent service on 135th St.

yup this guy gets it.

I agree. M1 LTD service should be expanded, just not absorbed into a pure M1 LTD. Local service should stay to support the M3 (and M4 north of 34 Street).

I am sure M4 service can be boosted so that 2 locals would be sufficient. And dropping service north of Columbia university can boost reliability. Let other routes take over that.

In fact, how long has the Bx2 been around? I know the Bx42 only came out in 1989.

The Bx42 wasn't really "created" — it already existed as the Harding Avenue branch of the Bx40 and simply got its own number in 1989. (The third branch, to Locust Point, became part of the Bx8 at the same time.) 

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

The Bx42 wasn't really "created" — it already existed as the Harding Avenue branch of the Bx40 and simply got its own number in 1989. (The third branch, to Locust Point, became part of the Bx8 at the same time.) 

The Bx40 originally had three branches (Fort Schuyler, Locust Point, and Harding Avenue)

The Bx40 was hell during the time, serving five different areas with 3 terminals in Throgs Neck.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

If bx33 was routed to 145th and bx1 to 135th (similar to bx15) in Manhattan won't that decrease wait times for riders on both corridors?

yup this guy gets it.

Since this has been clarified, my answer to that question is two-fold:

- The Bx33 isn't exactly a low frequency route, and to have it diverted to run with the Bx19 may not even help at all.... Bx19 is one of those routes that run like wildfire (so to speak)....

- As for running Bx1's along 135th, well of course that would decrease wait times for 135th riders.... And with it, you'd open up another can of worms - which is over-serving that corridor....

Looks like what's being portrayed here is the concept of layering = increased reliability.... Meaning, if I add another bus route to some corridor, reliability increases.... Sometimes that works, sometimes that doesn't.... Are the route(s) to be layered complementary or supplementary, or what.....

• 4 weeks later...

I say we extend the Bx41 further north on Webster Avenue up to Woodlawn terminating at McLean Avenue.

I don't think webster needs that much service, especially since the woodlawn cemetery creates an area where few people go anyways. If an extention of the Bx41 is needed, do it on WPR to 241 Street like it did before. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

I say we extend the Bx41 further north on Webster Avenue up to Woodlawn terminating at McLean Avenue.

I'm sorry but people living in Woodlawn live there for a reason.  They like that area because it's isolated AWAY from the subway and the ghetto areas of the Bronx.  The residents there are interested in (4) train service, Metro-North or the BxM4 express bus.  No need to extend that bus there when the Bx31 serves the (2)(5) station.

I'm sorry but people living in Woodlawn live there for a reason.  They like that area because it's isolated AWAY from the subway and the ghetto areas of the Bronx.  The residents there are interested in (4) train service, Metro-North or the BxM4 express bus.  No need to extend that bus there when the Bx31 serves the (2)(5) station.

You kinda contradicted yourself with that comment.

You kinda contradicted yourself with that comment.

Actually I didn't... The (4) serves different areas than the (2)(5) do, so I am correct in my assessment, especially since I am in Woodlawn at least twice a week via the express bus or Metro-North.  The people going to Midtown or the Upper East Side take the BxM4.  Those going to Grand Central will usually take Metro-North first and if they can't afford the express bus or commuter rail, they will make their way to the (4).  The (2) and (5) are PAINFULLY slow within the Bronx, and quite ghetto.  The (4) passes through rough areas as well, but the Woodlawn station in Norwood is a bit safer than Wakefield is. In fact one of my clients who lives just above Woodlawn is driven to that station.  That is what many people in Woodlawn and Southeast Yonkers do.  They are driven to the Woodlawn Metro-North station, take the Bx34 to the Woodlawn subway station, the Bee Line buses or they are driven there.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Actually I didn't... The (4) serves different areas than the (2)(5) do, so I am correct in my assessment, especially since I am in Woodlawn at least twice a week via the express bus or Metro-North.  The people going to Midtown or the Upper East Side take the BxM4.  Those going to Grand Central will usually take Metro-North first and if they can't afford the express bus or commuter rail, they will make their way to the (4).  The (2) and (5) are PAINFULLY slow within the Bronx, and quite ghetto.  The (4) passes through rough areas as well, but the Woodlawn station in Norwood is a bit safer than Wakefield is. In fact one of my clients who lives just above Woodlawn is driven to that station.  That is what many people in Woodlawn and Southeast Yonkers do.  They are driven to the Woodlawn Metro-North station, take the Bx34 to the Woodlawn subway station, the Bee Line buses or they are driven there.

the best ways to go are the Metro North or the BxM4. Thats what I do for the most part. but If you take the subway, the best way to go is the (D). But for the record. the (2)(5) are actually closer to Woodlawn than the (4)

or you could extend the Bx41 so people dont have to walk

not going to happen understand MTA doesn't need to waste the milage bx41 is good enough. This nonsensical thinking is what makes some routes like Manhattan's M4 so unreliable in the end you ruin service for the many to serve the few. Edited by qjtransitmaster

I'm sorry but people living in Woodlawn live there for a reason.  They like that area because it's isolated AWAY from the subway and the ghetto areas of the Bronx.  The residents there are interested in (4) train service, Metro-North.  No need to extend that bus there when the Bx31 serves the (2)(5) station & metro-north.

fixed that for you.

the best ways to go are the Metro North. Thats what I do for the most part. but If you take the subway, the best way to go is the (D). But for the record. the (2)(5) are actually closer to Woodlawn than the (4)

more accurate.

For what... That part of Webster short of 233rd is absolutely dead....

If the Bx41 should run up that part of Webster, then I want the Q54 running back along the cemetery along Metropolitan b/w 80th & cooper....

or you can take the (2) and walk.

It's not even about that though... Aint shit over there on webster b/w gun hill & 233rd....

For what... That part of Webster short of 233rd is absolutely dead....

If the Bx41 should run up that part of Webster, then I want the Q54 running back along the cemetery along Metropolitan b/w 80th & cooper....

It's not even about that though... Aint shit over there on webster b/w gun hill & 233rd....

ok yeah. I take back that about the Bx41. Just extend it up to Wakefield instead.

Considering how long it takes for the MTA to even get around to implementing SBS, any sort of talk of extension is just foolishness. Never mind that the entire point of SBS is to provide faster transit to communities without subway service, and the entire route from Gun Hill to Wakefield has the (2) directly overhead.