Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THIS THREAD THIS THREAD IS ON FIRE WE DON'T NEED NO WATER LET THIS THREAD BURN!!!!! THEN NUKE IT with my avatar.

Shut the f**k up.

Thread merged. Riverdale IS a part of The Bronx after all...

Now back to the thread...

Looking at Bronx bus idea forum. I saw someone come up with an idea for Riverdale Bus Proposal thread. I start with my first proposal, combine the BxM1 East Side and BxM2 West Side BxM18 via 5 Av/Madison Av

My new BxM18 will be like this

Riverdale - 23rd Street route via 5 Av/Madison Av/Maj Deegan Expy

Riverdale - 23rd Street route via 5 Av/Madison Av/Inwood

Riverdale - Wall Street route with bus operate with no stop in Manhattan north of 26th Street (s/b) and 29th Street (n/b)

This will be most efficient way to give Riverdale express bus

Edited by Cait Sith

Looking at Bronx bus idea forum. I saw someone come up with an idea for Riverdale Bus Proposal thread. I start with my first proposal, combine the BxM1 East Side and BxM2 West Side BxM18 via 5 Av/Madison Av

Riverdale - Wall Street route with bus operate with no stop in Manhattan north of 26th Street (s/b) and 29th Street (n/b)

If moderator want to merge this into this thread http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34506-bronx-bus-proposalsideas-thread/page-137 do so

Truthfully that's not much different than how the current Bronx Manhattan routes are in their current form.

Some more details would be nice if you are still backing this proposal.

This is a combination of BxM1 (3 Av and Lex and UES) and BxM2 (6 Av and 7 Av and UWS) to make it same as the rest of the Bronx express bus. Riverdale is only part of Bronx that has a seperate East and West side bus. All other part only have 5 Av/Madison Av express bus.

Alright, now I get what you are saying.

Personally I think there is sufficient warrant for the separate services, but I'll let other members input as well.

• 1 month later...

If moderator want to merge this into this thread http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34506-bronx-bus-proposalsideas-thread/page-137 do so

Riverdale has the express bus service that is has due to the demographics of the neighborhood and there is enough ridership on the three lines to support all three express bus routes.  There are a lot of Upper West Side and Upper East Side Manhattanites that move to Riverdale, hence why there's the BxM1 and BxM2.  There is also enough people that work Downtown and in Midtown along 5th and Madison Avenue to support the BxM18 and its current ridership pattern.  The BxM1 at one time had a super express variant that only made stops south of 56th street. Once the BxM18 started, the BxM18 started making those stops and they were removed from the BxM1 as "super express runs".  The BxM4, BxM6, BxM7, BxM8, BxM9, BxM10 and BxM11 all run the way that they do based upon the demographics of the neighborhoods that they serve.  Riverdale buses do not stop above 99th street. Meanwhile all of the other express buses do and that's because of the demographics that the other express buses servce.  Co-Op City for example has a high black ridership base and those people apparently do go to Harlem enough to warrant the stop at 125th street, so they have it there.  Just about all of the BxM express buses I mentioned have sizable amount of black riders.  Riverdale express buses for the most part are heavily White and elderly or middle aged, therefore serve areas that those people generally go to (i.e. Lincoln Center shows, dinner on the Upper West Side, Mount Sinai for doctors that commute to and from Riverdale, etc.)  There's also a heavy Jewish population in Riverdale which both the Upper East and Upper West Side has as well, so they have a connection to those neighborhoods and the other Riverdalians generally work or shop or used to live in those areas, hence why the frequent them daily.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I do think the BxM2 can run every 60 minutes instead of every 30 minutes after 7 PM going to Manhattan, and the 9:30 PM BxM1 bus to Manhattan could be discontinued, as well as the 7:15 AM BxM1 to Riverdale , instead of combining the 2 routes (I don't even know how it can logistically and logically be combined).

Riverdale has the express bus service that is has due to the demographics of the neighborhood and there is enough ridership on the three lines to support all three express bus routes.  There are a lot of Upper West Side and Upper East Side Manhattanites that move to Riverdale, hence why there's the BxM1 and BxM2.  There is also enough people that work Downtown and in Midtown along 5th and Madison Avenue to support the BxM18 and its current ridership pattern.  The BxM1 at one time had a super express variant that only made stops south of 56th street. Once the BxM18 started, the BxM18 started making those stops and they were removed from the BxM1 as "super express runs".  The BxM4, BxM6, BxM7, BxM8, BxM9, BxM10 and BxM11 all run the way that they do based upon the demographics of the neighborhoods that they serve.  Riverdale buses do not stop above 99th street. Meanwhile all of the other express buses do and that's because of the demographics that the other express buses servce.  Co-Op City for example has a high black ridership base and those people apparently do go to Harlem enough to warrant the stop at 125th street, so they have it there.  Just about all of the BxM express buses I mentioned have sizable amount of black riders.  Riverdale express buses for the most part are heavily White and elderly or middle aged, therefore serve areas that those people generally go to (i.e. Lincoln Center shows, dinner on the Upper West Side, Mount Sinai for doctors that commute to and from Riverdale, etc.)  There's also a heavy Jewish population in Riverdale which both the Upper East and Upper West Side has as well, so they have a connection to those neighborhoods and the other Riverdalians generally work or shop or used to live in those areas, hence why the frequent them daily.

Did you have to bump it? Dude Bxm4 I guess by demographics your correct but the most I've seen on weekends were 5 ppl on that bus. Few days ago one left woodlawn with 0 riders.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

I do think the BxM2 can run every 60 minutes instead of every 30 minutes after 7 PM going to Manhattan, and the 9:30 PM BxM1 bus to Manhattan could be discontinued, as well as the 7:15 AM BxM1 to Riverdale , instead of combining the 2 routes (I don't even know how it can logistically and logically be combined).

The problem with your thinking is you don't see the ridership patterns enough, as you are not a daily rider.  For what it's worth, it is tricky to cut any Riverdale express bus service due to the way ridership fluctuates on the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18.  One day the bus can be empty and the next it can be slammed.  The Riverdale express buses more than any other express bus line that I can think of has a lot of non-regular riders.  Ridership can fluctuate a lot due to the large amount of colleges here, retirement facilities and the like, all of these things along with the senior population causes the ridership to fluctuate a lot.  You also have a lot of seniors here that will travel in large groups, as well as families that will sometimes travel together or people that come to visit family that will travel in large groups.  It would be pointless to cut the BxM2 going to Manhattan or the BxM1 for that matter because you still need a bus every 30 minutes going to Riverdale, so you might as well keep those buses in service because they do get some usage, especially some of the later express buses.  The Sunday BxM2's (the last one at 22:00) gets very good usage, which I was surprised by. You also have a number of other factors that come into play.  If people in Westchester come down to use our express buses (which they do at times) or people in North Riverdale use it and then you have a decent amount of people in Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil, it doesn't take much to get the buses crowded.  With the heavy amount of co-ops and luxury condos here, it makes no sense to cut express bus service here because there is a good market for it and the (MTA) knows this.  Believe me, if they could've they would've cut more service, but it's hard to do here especially with the difficult commute without it.  Unlike folks in Queens that generally don't go to and from the city in large numbers on the express buses on weekends, Riverdale is a bedroom community, which means that people travel to and from Manhattan to Riverdale A LOT.

Did you have to bump it? Dude Bxm4 I guess by demographics your correct but the most I've seen on weekends were 5 ppl on that bus. Few days ago one left woodlawn with 0 riders.

Ridership is generally not heavy on the BxM4, but it's good enough to keep it around.  The other issue is there are a lot of vocal elderly and disabled people that use and depend on the BxM4 particularly along the Grand Concourse where you do have some co-ops.  Them along with the people in Woodlawn is why the BxM4 gets the service that it is.  I use the BxM4 regularly now due to tutoring sessions and ridership can vary.  Some buses get very good ridership, as you have families along the Concourse that will use it to go shopping on the weekends when the weather is decent and you also have folks in Woodlawn that will use it.

The problem with your thinking is you don't see the ridership patterns enough, as you are not a daily rider.  For what it's worth, it is tricky to cut any Riverdale express bus service due to the way ridership fluctuates on the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18.  One day the bus can be empty and the next it can be slammed.  The Riverdale express buses more than any other express bus line that I can think of has a lot of non-regular riders.  Ridership can fluctuate a lot due to the large amount of colleges here, retirement facilities and the like, all of these things along with the senior population causes the ridership to fluctuate a lot.  You also have a lot of seniors here that will travel in large groups, as well as families that will sometimes travel together or people that come to visit family that will travel in large groups.  It would be pointless to cut the BxM2 going to Manhattan or the BxM1 for that matter because you still need a bus every 30 minutes going to Riverdale, so you might as well keep those buses in service because they do get some usage, especially some of the later express buses.  The Sunday BxM2's (the last one at 22:00) gets very good usage, which I was surprised by. You also have a number of other factors that come into play.  If people in Westchester come down to use our express buses (which they do at times) or people in North Riverdale use it and then you have a decent amount of people in Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil, it doesn't take much to get the buses crowded.  With the heavy amount of co-ops and luxury condos here, it makes no sense to cut express bus service here because there is a good market for it and the (MTA) knows this.  Believe me, if they could've they would've cut more service, but it's hard to do here especially with the difficult commute without it.  Unlike folks in Queens that generally don't go to and from the city in large numbers on the express buses on weekends, Riverdale is a bedroom community, which means that people travel to and from Manhattan to Riverdale A LOT.

Ridership is generally not heavy on the BxM4, but it's good enough to keep it around.  The other issue is there are a lot of vocal elderly and disabled people that use and depend on the BxM4 particularly along the Grand Concourse where you do have some co-ops.  Them along with the people in Woodlawn is why the BxM4 gets the service that it is.  I use the BxM4 regularly now due to tutoring sessions and ridership can vary.  Some buses get very good ridership, as you have families along the Concourse that will use it to go shopping on the weekends when the weather is decent and you also have folks in Woodlawn that will use it.

Well, in Queens, from what I observed, the 4 Woodhaven routes have different ridership habits during the reverse peak and midday hours, so I'll agree with you in that sense. 

As for the BxM4, weekday service was actually increased in Woodlawn post 2010. There was a 20% increase in service north of Woodlawn to Manhattan (with the extenstion of service from 6 PM to 11 PM towards Manhattan). Now, I don't know, but generally, there is more people going to the city late at night on weekends than weekdays. I would say to slash the 10:50 PM bus, but it turns into the 12:15 AM bus IIRC, so it's best to keep that in revenue service. The BxM4 is a wierd route to cut, IMO, you can't really a trip without affecting the rest.

Well, in Queens, from what I observed, the 4 Woodhaven routes have different ridership habits during the reverse peak and midday hours, so I'll agree with you in that sense. 

As for the BxM4, weekday service was actually increased in Woodlawn post 2010. There was a 20% increase in service north of Woodlawn to Manhattan (with the extenstion of service from 6 PM to 11 PM towards Manhattan). Now, I don't know, but generally, there is more people going to the city late at night on weekends than weekdays. I would say to slash the 10:50 PM bus, but it turns into the 12:15 AM bus IIRC, so it's best to keep that in revenue service. The BxM4 is a wierd route to cut, IMO, you can't really a trip without affecting the rest.

If you notice, just about all of the express buses that run 7 days a week have service to Manhattan until about 23:00 and back from Manhattan until roughly 00:00 with some exceptions of course.  That is not a coincidence.  There has been an argument from communities that depend on express bus service for years that they were underserved with quick transportation to Manhattan, and considering the fact that those areas either get 30 minute or hourly service, it seems reasonable to provide the service.  You do have people in those areas that work at odd hours and benefit from having the express buses running late.  You have to remember that it is the city that is funding (MTA) Bus to run the express bus service, and the point of that is to ensure that the neighborhoods without subway service get reasonable quick transportation, and have the same reasonable transportation that neighborhoods with subway service have. If you didn't have those express buses there, it would make those neighborhoods far less attractive to live due to the transportation hassles, and that could create problems for the city.  There are some areas of the city that are remote and like it that way and others that are remote but were promised good transportation by the city such as Co-Op City and that's precisely why they are so vocal and why they get the express bus service that they get.  Woodlawn is also extremely vocal.  It is a very tight knit community and the elderly there are especially vocal about their express bus service.  Most of the Bronx is unique in that the areas that have express bus service can honestly say that express bus service is much quicker than taking the subway to a bus.  Parts of Queens and Brooklyn don't have that same fortune, save the areas that are very isolated or far from the subway.

If you notice, just about all of the express buses that run 7 days a week have service to Manhattan until about 23:00 and back from Manhattan until roughly 00:00 with some exceptions of course.  That is not a coincidence.  There has been an argument from communities that depend on express bus service for years that they were underserved with quick transportation to Manhattan, and considering the fact that those areas either get 30 minute or hourly service, it seems reasonable to provide the service.  You have to remember that it is the city that is funding (MTA) Bus to run the express bus service, and the point of that is to ensure that the neighborhoods without subway service get reasonable quick transportation and have the same reasonable transportation that neighborhoods with subway service have. If you didn't have those express buses there, it would make those neighborhoods far less attractive due to the transportation hassles and that could create problems for the city.  There are some areas of the city that are remote and like it that way and others that are remote but were promised good transportation by the city such as Co-Op City and that's precisely why they are so vocal and why they get the express bus service that they get.  Woodlawn is also extremely vocal.  It is a very tight knit community and the elderly there are especially vocal about their express bus service.  Most of the Bronx is unique in that the areas that have express bus service can honestly say that express bus service is much quicker than taking the subway to a bus.  Parts of Queens and Brooklyn don't have that same fortunate, save areas that are very isolated or far from the subway.

With the exception of SI, the Bronx, the X27, and the QM2/20 area, every other area's express service is basically jeopardized on different levels, many because of inadequate support from people.

With the exception of SI, the Bronx, the X27, and the QM2/20 area, every other area's express service is basically jeopardized on different levels, many because of inadequate support from people.

This is true, but demographics also have a lot to do with the fate of express bus service and where those buses run.  In the Bronx, the areas with express bus service either have it because the residents benefit from a faster ride, or they refuse to ride the subway or both.  I've seen and have heard about folks from the Bronx that will not use the subway because they don't want to deal with the riff-raff.  That's precisely why the BxM6 is still around.  I'm amazed at how those people refuse to use the subway and will wait 30+ minutes for the BxM6.   The X27 runs along Shore Rd because it's isolated, a schlepp from the subway for most in that part of Bay Ridge, and also because parts of Shore Rd are fairly upscale and there's a large amount of co-ops and condos, which is the perfect market for express bus service.  Those people also have a fairly quick ride from Shore Rd to Manhattan, as local bus service to the subway is a very slow option.  The B16 runs poorly, as does the (R) train, then there's the final transfer to the (N) express.  Express bus service on the BM lines have died due to the changing demographics in those neighborhoods.  Most of the original Brooklynites have left those neighborhoods or are dying off, and this is evident when I ride the BM3 for example.  The reason Saturday service is around is primarily due to the elderly population that like to go shopping and such on Saturdays.  You also have some females that simply don't like using the subway that will use it as well, but it's not a service that they have to have per se.  Those areas are car areas on the weekends, and those are people that generally just use the express bus to go to and from work during the week.  Riverdale meanwhile has a lot of Manhattanites that are used to using public transportation, and with the large elderly population there, they are perfectly fine walking out of their co-op and condo and having the express bus outside of their door (which is especially true along Kappock St where usage is heavy).  The QM2/QM20 serves Northeast Queens neighborhoods that are fairly affluent (Beechurst comes to mind) and also has a large share of luxury condos and co-ops, so again you have a market there, plus there is no subway to compete with, and the LIRR, while close in some cases, may not be convenient depending on where you're located.

You can attribute that to recent G/Os on the subway

• 3 weeks later...

On Facebook, there was a discussion about some of the new routes, and one of them was the Bx46, which is a route that I see as having promise, but which is currently majorly untapped in terms of potential. However, at the same time, I doubt that the MTA would want the Bx6 to be a pure duplication of the Bx6 through Morrisania. As such, I propose this extension of the Bx46 on its western end to Gateway Mall.

WESTBOUND: via Longwood Avenue, head west on Westchester Avenue to East 156 Street, right onto East 156 Street, right on 3 Avenue, left onto East 157 Street, right onto Melrose Avenue, left onto East 161 Street, left onto River Avenue to end. Utilize Bx13 relay.

EASTBOUND: From Bx13 relay/layover: up River Avenue, right on 161 Street, right on Melrose Avenue, left on East 156 Street, left onto Westchester Avenue, right onto Longwood Avenue, and regular.

New destinations serviced would be: St. Mary's Park Houses (which is part of why I propose a routing on East 156 Street; the Bx6 already covers the McKinley and Forest housing projects), the John Adams Houses to the east, the Bronx courts along 161 Street, Concourse Village, Yankee Stadium (and the (B)(D)(4) station), and Gateway Mall Bronx.

On the eastern end, to reduce costs into what is essentially a dead area outside of the weekday, I would propose ending all evening and weekend service at Baretto Point Park instead of continuing to Food Center Drive

On Facebook, there was a discussion about some of the new routes, and one of them was the Bx46, which is a route that I see as having promise, but which is currently majorly untapped in terms of potential. However, at the same time, I doubt that the MTA would want the Bx6 to be a pure duplication of the Bx6 through Morrisania. As such, I propose this extension of the Bx46 on its western end to Gateway Mall.

WESTBOUND: via Longwood Avenue, head west on Westchester Avenue to East 156 Street, right onto East 156 Street, right on 3 Avenue, left onto East 157 Street, right onto Melrose Avenue, left onto East 161 Street, left onto River Avenue to end. Utilize Bx13 relay.

EASTBOUND: From Bx13 relay/layover: up River Avenue, right on 161 Street, right on Melrose Avenue, left on East 156 Street, left onto Westchester Avenue, right onto Longwood Avenue, and regular.

New destinations serviced would be: St. Mary's Park Houses (which is part of why I propose a routing on East 156 Street; the Bx6 already covers the McKinley and Forest housing projects), the John Adams Houses to the east, the Bronx courts along 161 Street, Concourse Village, Yankee Stadium (and the (B)(D)(4) station), and Gateway Mall Bronx.

On the eastern end, to reduce costs into what is essentially a dead area outside of the weekday, I would propose ending all evening and weekend service at Baretto Point Park instead of continuing to Food Center Drive

Have you seen the Bx46 ridership statistics? The route is doing shockingly well, which I guess was the point since it exists entirely to relieve the Bx6.

As a half-hourly bus route, your extension wouldn't be able to compete with the Bx4/4A, Bx6, and Bx17. A better thing to do would be to extend it via the B4/4A and Bx17 routings, but I don't really think that having it go past The Hub is really necessary.

Have you seen the Bx46 ridership statistics? The route is doing shockingly well, which I guess was the point since it exists entirely to relieve the Bx6.

As a half-hourly bus route, your extension wouldn't be able to compete with the Bx4/4A, Bx6, and Bx17. A better thing to do would be to extend it via the B4/4A and Bx17 routings, but I don't really think that having it go past The Hub is really necessary.

I don't know how it's shockingly well, I mean, it was given why it would actually do good. The numbers represented don't even portray average for service year round, so the actual count is higher (because only statistics from April to December are shown). 

Lol @ the Bx46 doing shockingly well.... If anything, the route is severely under-performing...

It was supposed to provide for improved coverage within Hunts Point.... Far as I can tell, Everyone's (still) bombarding Bx6's & barely give the Bx46 any thought..... Saying this another way, people are still taking Bx6's & walking towards Tiffany (which the Bx46 runs along w/i Hunts Point.... That is telling.

They should've been fused that route somehow into the Bx6...

East 156th doesn't need a bus route; that's not a gap worth covering.... For all this, the MTA may as well have the Bx46 be a carbon copy of the Bx6 through Morrisania....

If the Bx46 is to do better than it does now it should be extended. The only created routes doing well is the Q52LTD and Q70LTD. Blame the MTA for the Bx46's failure, they poorly advertised the route and many people didn't know a route was created even I'm the weeks after service began. What is the big idea with the MTA creating all these routes knowing one day they may get rid of some of them.

If the Bx46 is to do better than it does now it should be extended. The only created routes doing well is the Q52LTD and Q70LTD. Blame the MTA for the Bx46's failure, they poorly advertised the route and many people didn't know a route was created even I'm the weeks after service began. What is the big idea with the MTA creating all these routes knowing one day they may get rid of some of them.

You know that kind of scares me. Isn't the (MTA) supposed to creating 15 new routes?

A lot of them duplicate other routes. Well basically they all do and I wonder why the MTA didn't increase or fix service on existing routes. However its only been a few months so let's see how this year does.

I mean, aside from that Bx41 to LGA that DOT was pushing a while back, where could the MTA possibly fit in a new route without duplicating existing service? Most areas already have one or two bus routes (well, most of the places that want them; we don't have buses running to Breezy Point for a reason)