Sandy Recovery: Cranberry Street Tunnel Closeing

leo2car

I was stuck on a PATH train with some PATH and NYC Subway personal and I was talking with them. They said that after the Montague Street Tunnel ( (R) train) is reopened, they dont know if it will be on time; then the MTA will close the Cranberry Street Tunnel ( (A) / (C) trains) for a prolonged time. Can anyone here confirm or deny that.

And let the service change speculation begin.

My take: (C) train in two sections: 168th Street to Fulton and Hoyt to Euclid. (A) train via Rutgers Tunnel from Jay Street to Broadway-Lafayette and then to West 4th Upper Level.  

Confirmed ( http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/politics/2013/09/8533842/warning-mta-more-sandy-related-tube-closures-ahead ). Clark will also have to close at some point. They're hoping to restrict work to nights and weekends.

It's waaaaay too early for speculation, but IF there is a full closure, they'll probably do something similar to what is currently done with the (R). Run in 2 sections during the week and direct via Rutgers on weekends. Nothing can turn at Fulton unless a crossover is installed between there and Chambers. Whatever happens, the IND will be a nightmare becuase we'll have a W4 switching issue or overcrowding on the (F), which can't add anything else due to QBL congestion. I pity Fulton Street riders.

If they closed Cranberry. They'd probably run (C) to Chambers, (A) Via Rutgers, local in Brooklyn, or turn C trains at Jay street, the cross over to switch ends is passed the cross over to the rutgers tunnel. So they can just move the (C) Past the switch and let the (A) cross over to the (F) line. and switch ends on the (C) and pull in after an (A).

Confirmed ( http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/politics/2013/09/8533842/warning-mta-more-sandy-related-tube-closures-ahead ). Clark will also have to close at some point. They're hoping to restrict work to nights and weekends.

It's waaaaay too early for speculation, but IF there is a full closure, they'll probably do something similar to what is currently done with the (R). Run in 2 sections during the week and direct via Rutgers on weekends. Nothing can turn at Fulton unless a crossover is installed between there and Chambers. Whatever happens, the IND will be a nightmare becuase we'll have a W4 switching issue or overcrowding on the (F), which can't add anything else due to QBL congestion. I pity Fulton Street riders.

They really should close 1 tube at a time, send all trains going that way over the (F) late nights and weekends and alternate the tunnel they close every week, they send the (A)(C) over the (F) in one way or the other every other weekend already anyways. Fulton on the weekends is a mess, it was 1 thing closing up the (R) like that since it was by far the less used of all the trains in the area especially weekends, but screwing up the (A)(C) more than it already gets on the average weekend is not gonna be good, and with the WTC on the way we are gonna be seeing even more people coming all week long and we need to have as many trains as possible to get them downtown.

Let me stop all of you right here. In the case of the Cranberry tube, each track is completely separated from the other, so they will close ONE TRACK AT A TIME. Obviously the direction of closure will be re-routed via Rutgers St.

/end thread

....okay, this is complete speculation on my part, but I have a feeling that they MIGHT do wrong-railing in the peak direction during rush hours, so that there is always service from Brooklyn to Manhattan in the AMs, and service from Manhattan to Brooklyn in the PMs stopping at their usual stations --- cross over at Jay St N/B or at Chambers St (via the middle spur) S/B and cross back at the other end.

I was stuck on a PATH train with some PATH and NYC Subway personal and I was talking with them. They said that after the Montague Street Tunnel ( (R) train) is reopened, they dont know if it will be on time; then the MTA will close the Cranberry Street Tunnel ( (A) / (C) trains) for a prolonged time. Can anyone here confirm or deny that.

And let the service change speculation begin.

My take: (C) train in two sections: 168th Street to Fulton and Hoyt to Euclid. (A) train via Rutgers Tunnel from Jay Street to Broadway-Lafayette and then to West 4th Upper Level.  

If they closed Cranberry. They'd probably run (C) to Chambers, (A) Via Rutgers, local in Brooklyn, or turn C trains at Jay street, the cross over to switch ends is passed the cross over to the rutgers tunnel. So they can just move the (C) Past the switch and let the (A) cross over to the (F) line. and switch ends on the (C) and pull in after an (A).

What in the hell is so wrong with just simply shutting down the Cranberry Street Tunnel on weekends, and sending the (A)(C) over the (F) between West 4th and Jay Streets in both directions? Or close one direction and leave the other open for normal service (as Snowblock said)? This isn't the Montague Street Tunnel for god's sake. Stop trying to find so many ways just to keep the (A) running express by shutting down the Cranberry Street Tunnel 24/7.

It's not like the supplemental (C) is anything else other than what it merely already basically is. The Cranberry Street Tunnel is one of the most crowded East River crossings during rush hours anyway, unlike the Montague Street Tunnel, where the (R) can only have all of its seats filled up or fewer of its seats available. And that's the entire reason why the current set up is the way it is now.

Did anyone bother to actually read the link cl94 posted? It's stated right there in black and white that neither Prendergrast or MTA spokesman Lisberg foresee a full-time closure like Montague. Until that changes, any service disruptions will likely follow the normal weekend and late-night one-directional closures we've seen time and time again. Nothing too extravagant will happen with Cranberry (or Clark for that matter).

What in the hell is so wrong with just simply shutting down the Cranberry Street Tunnel on weekends, and sending the (A)(C) over the (F) between West 4th and Jay Streets in both directions? Or close one direction and leave the other open for normal service (as Snowblock said)? This isn't the Montague Street Tunnel for god's sake. Stop trying to find so many ways just to keep the (A) running express by shutting down the Cranberry Street Tunnel 24/7.

It's not like the supplemental (C) is anything else other than what it merely already basically is. The Cranberry Street Tunnel is one of the most crowded East River crossings during rush hours anyway, unlike the Montague Street Tunnel, where the (R) can only have all of its seats filled up or fewer of its seats available. And that's the entire reason why the current set up is the way it is now.

Its not that serious kid, settle down...

Considering he seemed to have not read the link since two seconds later he starts with the "what if there's a full closure?" also....

I read the link. I specifically said if. They'd be stupid to close either unless there is an issue with structural integrity. Full closure remains an option per the article, just not preferred. I even said in my post that they hope to restrict work to nights and weekends. I just listed what would happen if the full closure must happen on any weekday, as construction issues could cause work to run over and screw up the morning rush.

Did anyone bother to actually read the link cl94 posted?

I figured no one bothers to read a few posts on threads in the first place, let alone links provided.

Anyways, people reacting to posts like these like they got a wedgie of death upon them. Relax guys, it's a simple posts.

I'm just waiting for somebody to log on and use this as an excuse to create some new foam route that involves the W4 interlocking and 2 terminals not currently connected directly

I'm just waiting for somebody to log on and use this as an excuse to create some new foam route that involves the W4 interlocking and 2 terminals not currently connected directly

"Guys, let's link Inwood-207th St to Middle Village! Fulton St riders will appreciate the parallel service!" /sarcasm

"Guys, let's link Inwood-207th St to Middle Village! Fulton St riders will appreciate the parallel service!" /sarcasm

Don't give them any ideas. Some idiot will see that, go over to the proposals thread, and suggest it. The tunnels will fill with foam and they'll be forced to do a 24/7 closure.

Don't give them any ideas. Some idiot will see that, go over to the proposals thread, and suggest it. The tunnels will fill with foam and they'll be forced to do a 24/7 closure.

LOL!!!

Actually, in this case, what I would do is this:

If it is a weekend-only closure as it's (as of now), most likely to be:

(A) runs via the (F) between West 4th and Jay Street-Borough Hall and runs local in Manhattan (and express in Brooklyn)

(C) runs in two sections:

168th Street-Chambers Street (A) platform (as an express) in Manhattan with a single-track shuttle between Chambers and Fulton Street

Between High Street and Euclid Avenue in Brooklyn (as a local)

If it does wind up a full-bore 24/7 closure where they have to close both tubes (not likely as of now), there are going to be no good options no matter what, and even closing one tube will create a mess if it gets to that point.

LOL!!!

Actually, in this case, what I would do is this:

If it is a weekend-only closure as it's (as of now), most likely to be:

(A) runs via the (F) between West 4th and Jay Street-Borough Hall and runs local in Manhattan (and express in Brooklyn)

(C) runs in two sections:

168th Street-Chambers Street (A) platform (as an express) in Manhattan with a single-track shuttle between Chambers and Fulton Street

Between High Street and Euclid Avenue in Brooklyn (as a local)

If it does wind up a full-bore 24/7 closure where they have to close both tubes (not likely as of now), there are going to be no good options no matter what, and even closing one tube will create a mess if it gets to that point.

You don't need a single track shuttle from Chambers to Fulton St when you have the (2) and (3) right upstairs at both stations

You have a point, but many people who want to get to the (4) and (5) at Fulton or transfer from the (4) / (5) there are not going to want to walk a length of the Fulton platform transfer to get to the (2) / (3) there.  That's why I have the single track shuttle.

Archived