What are the worst trains? What lines need improvement

trainfanrod

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does the (A) cruise along Fulton St? There is no sense of speed at all.

Timers ridiculous along the ROW recently installed for the sake of saftey. It wasnt always like this as the line was indeed built by the IND for high speeds until the Williamsburg Accident, West End Line accidents and the infamous Union Square wreck changed policy completely on timers, field shunting and maintaining speeds on downgrades and radial curves for a variety of reasons: 1) Prevent derailments 2) Prevent station overruns 3) Protect the switches 4) And head on collisions.

Its the same way along the IND CPW with alot of new timers installed in recent years with its block signaling system modifications.

However the (A) is very fast between Hoyt and Nostrand on Fulton, then afterwards that is until it hits the timers at B'way Junction.

=================================================================

Now worst train? Cant really think of one tbh. All routes has its pluses and minuses.

i believe the (G) and the (R) are the worst trains in the system then comes the (C) they should be improved

The (G) runs toooo far apart in timing and is somewhat a short route

the (R) not really a train taken seriously come on its aided and transfered to every other train if the pivitol point is only on 4th Ave between Bay ridge and Atlantic

The (C) runs to slow and everyone rather the (A) people would get off the train at an express stop lets say nostrand to ride the ©to lafayette rather than catch it at Euclid or at other express stops where they probably got on

(G) Honestly the service patterns of the G are pretty alright. Rush hours it gets a little cramped. They are or have adding some service but since it has to play nice with the F they can't add too much. When are you saying it runs "toooo" far apart? Most of the people I know who complain about the G only take it weekend nights and lament the 20 minute intervals during the overnight hours when they're trying to get back from the bar - but spoiler alert - just about ALL of the lines run at 20 minute intervals overnights. 

I fail to see how it's short route is a problem. Honestly the fact that it's a short route keeps it on time and helps keep the loading down. 

(R) The R is also important on Queens Blvd weekends. It infuriates me that people forget about Queens Blvd - these are some of the busiest outerboro stations in the city. Honestly, the split R service with the Montague closure isn't bad at least for the northern section. It's far from the worst train. It's reliability is bad when it's slogging local all the way from bay ridge to continental but as has been said many times before - somebody has to scrape the walls the whole route. 

The (C) could use some love. Honestly I think due to crowding the 4/5/6 are candidates for the worst but there's simply no room to add trains. I find the (E) to usually be overcrowded and the other large problem it has is the people who like to live on board. 

I have a few things to say. My least favorite is the (R) because the stations I need it at, it goes ridiculously slowly, and doesn't come very often at all. I also dislike the (F) because the service is inconsistent - sometimes the trains go several in a row, and sometimes it's 25 minutes between them. Also, between Bergen and Jay, it goes really slowly. The next two complaints are probably for technical reasons that I'm oblivious to, but on the Manhattan Bridge, the trains go super slow after getting off the bridge, and sometimes stop for like 3 minutes. Also, the (B), (Q), and (R) go as slow as a snail between Dekalb and Atlantic. Lastly, the (2)/(3) goes slow enough to walk faster than when it's between Park Place and Chambers.

My least favorite is the (Q) because it is so freaking slow especially during the weekends with the (R) clogging up the Manny B and the switches at Dekalb/ Canal. I stopped using the Q I either take the (B) or the BM3 on Saturdays and Sundays I go as far as avoiding going tobthe city to avoid the Q

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The think the worst route will have to be the (4)(5) and (6) when I took it I've never gotten a seat at all. Worst part the Lexington Ave line is severely crowded and it's an IRT line which has less capacity.

The best line for me has to be the (7). It's very fast and reliable.

The think the worst route will have to be the (4)(5) and (6) when I took it I've never gotten a seat at all. Worst part the Lexington Ave line is severely crowded and it's an IRT line which has less capacity.

The best line for me has to be the (7). It's very fast and reliable.

Even if you don't get a seat on the (7) either?

My best to worst list and the pros and cons to each service:

(7): has always been my favorite with its very frequent service, fast express runs, and great views of Queens. I just hate the constant weekend and midday construction on it.
(E): frequent service, good express run in Queens, and is all R160s, but it gets extremely crowded along 53rd Street.
(4): frequent service, runs fast in Manhattan and Brooklyn (though I notice lately it has been going very slow south of Grand Central-42nd Street), and the Jerome Avenue Line offers nice views of the Bronx, including Yankee Stadium, but it runs slow there and is packed all the time.
(6): short waiting time, runs fast for a local in Manhattan, has good views of south Bronx, and the weekday afternoon <6> express has my favorite automated announcement, but trains are often very crowded, which in turns causes delays, it needs to run more often on weekends, and I'm angry that R62As are going here.
(Q): fast in Brooklyn (even faster than the express) and Manhattan, the Manhattan Bridge offers a great view of Lower Manhattan, and is all R160s, but trains can sometimes run irregularly since they conflict with the N and R at DeKalb Avenue, Prince Street, and 34th Street.
(1): frequent weekday service, runs fast for a local, and the route has many unique points, including the World Trade Center site box, Broadway Bridge crossing, and Manhattan Valley Viaduct, but weekend service is low, trains get held at stations for reasons I don't know, and getting around some of the Upper Manhattan stations is annoying since they either have no crossovers/crossunders or are very deep.
(N): the Sea Beach Line looks beautiful in the winter while the Astoria Line has a fascinating view of the surrounding area and is all R160s, but some of the Sea Beach stations look horrible and trains run irregularly since they conflict with the D, Q, and R at various junctions.
(L): has short waiting time, all NTTs, and many unique points, especially at Wilson Avenue and south of Broadway Junction, but it is jam packed all the time and goes through some scary neighborhoods.
(F): has frequent weekday service, fast express runs in Queens, awesome views of Brooklyn, and R160s, but weekend service is low, trains run irregularly due to its long route and sharing of tracks with other services, and still uses some slow R46s.
(3): fast express run in Manhattan and the IRT New Lots Line has nice views of Brooklyn, but it does not run very frequently and the neighborhoods in Brooklyn it goes to are not safe.
(C): only service that uses the sleek and shiny R32s (old but still going strong), thus allowing a railfan window view at all times, and runs very fast for a local, even faster than its express counterpart, but it does not run frequently, conflicts with other services, and goes through some dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn.
Franklin Avenue (S):
waiting time is long, people tend to hold the car doors at the terminals, and transferring to/from other trains is a huge pain in the ass, but it has a unique route with many historical features.

(2): extremely inconsistent and crowded, slow in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and low weekend service, but the views in the Bronx are magnificent and the express run in Manhattan is fast.
(5): low off-peak service, irregular runs, and severely overcrowded, but the express runs in the Bronx and Manhattan are great and the line north of East 180th Street is a throwback to the old NYC railroad services.

(M):
waiting time is always horrendous, but is fully R160s and the section between Myrtle and Metropolitan Avenues has a lot of historical features
(J)(Z):
trains are infrequent and run very slow during off-peak hours, has 50 rusted tin can R42s, the short express section between Myrtle and Marcy Avenues is near pointless, and skip-stop service needs to run for the entire rush hour frame and in both directions, but it uses mostly R160s and the elevated portions have amazing views of northern Brooklyn and Queens.
42nd Street (S): pretty boring since it only travels between two stops in an entirely underground route, is often crowded, and prone to people holding the doors, but it is a vital part of NYC Subway history, I love the promotional decorations it always gets and hope to act in or film a movie scene here.
(D): infrequent, irregular service, the chubby R68s ruin the express sections, and runs very slow on West End, but that section offers great views of the surrounding area even though it needs express service and the Concourse Line has some interestingly-built stations.
(B): long scheduled waits (made worse when random trains get cancelled), trains do not arrive on time, have last priority at every junction it goes through, and the overweight R68/68As ruin the express run on Brighton, but it can be fast if you catch it on time. It has become the new stepchild of the system.
(A): very prone to delays, gaps, and bunching due to its long route, waiting time for each branch in Queens is awful, weekend service sucks, and the fat R46s spoil the express runs in Manhattan and Brooklyn, but the Rockaway section has spectacular views of Jamaica Bay and the peninsula.
Rockaway Park (S): very low scheduled frequency and overcrowded in the summer, but the route offers great views of the Atlantic Ocean and Rockaways.
(G): has short-length trains that make people run on the platforms, infrequent service, and many of its stations look like ghost towns and are in bad shape. The lone good thing about it is the Gowanus El crossing.
(R): has always been my least favorite train with its slow and boring route as it is the system's longest local with no outdoor portions except for a small section in Bay Ridge, trains do not run often and are prone to irregularity, and the R46s it normally uses do not help much, but at least it is using the R160s temporarily during the Montague Tube closure.

The (Q) is not faster than the (B) during rush hours south of Kings Highway/Newkirk. Especially if you make the instant connection from the (Q) to the (B).

On other times though, yes the (Q) is faster than the (B). Honestly, you could take which ever comes first north of Newkirk. But below Newkirk, if the (B) comes first, it'll definitely beat a (Q).

WHat are foamers

A long time ago it referred to anyone who takes their practicing of the hobby to extremes. Today it more commonly refers to someone who takes the hobby more seriously than the poster who used the term, and therefore amounts to little more than a phrase used by people who think they're cool because they insult everyone around them.

(In its original context its pretty useless too - doesn't solve a thing.)

(G) Honestly the service patterns of the G are pretty alright. Rush hours it gets a little cramped. They are or have adding some service but since it has to play nice with the F they can't add too much. When are you saying it runs "toooo" far apart? Most of the people I know who complain about the G only take it weekend nights and lament the 20 minute intervals during the overnight hours when they're trying to get back from the bar - but spoiler alert - just about ALL of the lines run at 20 minute intervals overnights. 

I fail to see how it's short route is a problem. Honestly the fact that it's a short route keeps it on time and helps keep the loading down. 

(R) The R is also important on Queens Blvd weekends. It infuriates me that people forget about Queens Blvd - these are some of the busiest outerboro stations in the city. Honestly, the split R service with the Montague closure isn't bad at least for the northern section. It's far from the worst train. It's reliability is bad when it's slogging local all the way from bay ridge to continental but as has been said many times before - somebody has to scrape the walls the whole route. 

The (C) could use some love. Honestly I think due to crowding the 4/5/6 are candidates for the worst but there's simply no room to add trains. I find the (E) to usually be overcrowded and the other large problem it has is the people who like to live on board.

Maybe they could add a few short G trains from Court to Bedford Nostrand.Better than nothing

My least favorite is the (Q) because it is so freaking slow especially during the weekends with the (R) clogging up the Manny B and the switches at Dekalb/ Canal. I stopped using the Q I either take the (B) or the BM3 on Saturdays and Sundays I go as far as avoiding going tobthe city to avoid the Q

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

True, I fell asleep on the (Q) in Brooklyn during the weekend (it was nice btw), I fell asleep at around DeKalb Avenue, and after what I thought was a long nap, long enough to where I woulda woke up at Coney Island, I woke up at Avenue H, I was like damn this is slow lol

The (C) is still slow.

The (C) actually travels at higher speeds between local stops then the (A) on the express along Fulton past B'way Junction and it does match the (A) in speed between Hoyt and Nostrand. It flies. Forget it when the R32s goes through the Cranberry tubes...

Just for the weekend! And the (J) runs to Broad St

It's obvious that you don't know anything. The (J) only runs to Chambers during the weekends, which is what I was pointing out. It would be a waste of money to send the (M) to Chambers "just for the weekend" if the (J) can do that alone, not to mention that it's useless at this point.

It's obvious that you don't know anything. The (J) only runs to Chambers during the weekends, which is what I was pointing out. It would be a waste of money to send the (M) to Chambers "just for the weekend" if the (J) can do that alone, not to mention that it's useless at this point.

oh sorry I thought you meant on weekdays. I thought that its just that the (M) should be extended at least (like you said) to Essex st. Just slows service only going to myrtle

Archived