R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Wait Queensboro Bridge had tracks and was connected to the system? How?

First off, when this was in place, Queensboro Plaza was double the size it currently is. From Queensboro Plaza, the tracks diverged in three ways. The first and second were to the Steinway tubes and the 60th Street tunnels. The third was across the Queensboro Bridge. After crossing the bridge, the tracks turned south to connect to the 2nd Avenue elevated.

What was that about using Google to answer your questions...?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you guys think that the 5 sets of the new 33 R188's(23 standards, 10 Converted R142A's) could run maybe on the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5) or (6) trains?

We already established that there is no point in doing so. The R188s are the only cars with CBTC. Until another car class gets it and can be swapped with the R188s, you won't see them anywhere but the (7).

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Do you guys think it's true if a train is being rerouted, the train operator has the choice if he wants to switch the train to the line it is being rerouted? Like say a (2) train was rerouted via the (1) line to Van Cortlandt Park 242 Street or via the (3) line to Harlem 148 Street, do you guys think the operator has choice if he wants to switch the (2) train into a (1) or (3) train?

Do you guys think it's true if a train is being rerouted, the train operator has the choice if he wants to switch the train to the line it is being rerouted? Like say a (2) train was rerouted via the (1) line to Van Cortlandt Park 242 Street or via the (3) line to Harlem 148 Street, do you guys think the operator has choice if he wants to switch the (2) train into a (1) or (3) train?

That's up to the dispatcher.

Or another example, if a (5) train is being rerouted via the (1) line to 242 Street, 137 Street, or South Ferry or it's rerouted via the (3) to Harlem 148 Street, does the train operator has a choice to turn the (5) into a (1) and/or (3) train?

Because I know if the train is equipped with an R62A or R62, it stays on the same train line, but I'm talking about a NTT like the R142's,R142A's,R188's,R143's,R160A/B,and R179's.

2 sets of a R179 has been built, so I guess the (MTA) is going to test the 2 sets of the R179's anytime soon.

My lord, I can understand wanting so desperately to see NTTs on the (1) & (3), but this is getting ridiculous already.

I'm not saying that, I was asking a question about if it's true that the train operator has the choice to switch the train into the line it's rerouted. For example, if a R142 (5) train is rerouted via the (4) to Burnside Avenue/Woodlawn or if it's rerouted via the (6) to Parkchester/Pelham Bay Park, does the train operator has the choice to switch the (5) train into a (4) and/or (6) train?

Edited by Jose Angel

I'm not saying that, I was asking a question about if it's true that the train operator has the choice to switch the train into the line it's rerouted. For example, if a R142 (5) train is rerouted via the (4) to Burnside Avenue/Woodlawn or if it's rerouted via the (6) to Parkchester/Pelham Bay Park, does the train operator has the choice to switch the (5) train into a (4) and/or (6) train?

Yes. The crew of an (E) train changed the signs to (C) when it got rerouted up CPW, same goes for a (N) train got rerouted over the (D) line

As is all of the fleets in the subway system. The current NTTs are not that special to me, that's why I'm looking forward to the R211s. Design wise they've taken it to another level.

Oh yeah, the digital front bullet display is something I've wanted for a while. Glad to see they're acting on it.

As is all of the fleets in the subway system. The current NTTs are not that special to me, that's why I'm looking forward to the R211s. Design wise they've taken it to another level.

Then if this is what you want, I hope everyone checks this is link out.

http://www.mta.info/news-subway-new-york-city-transit-governor/2016/07/19/plan-adds-1025-subway-cars-including-750-open

Already did. I don't care much about the WiFi, USB Chargers or the digital ads, the front design of the train itself to me says "21st Century."

7866-7870+7860-7865 is running in service saw it at 103st

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I was on the 7 all day today and didn't see it at all. I highly doubt it's in service because it is the primary CBTC test train and they are still testing CBTC components on it. I've heard it won't be in service until 2017.

Lance, I did search it up before I asked, I just wanted clarification for what it had because I did see stub track structures going towards the Queensboro Bridge when I'm on the (7) and never knew what they were until now.

Ok. I've just been waiting to ride that set ever since it left for CBTC testing. Didn't expect it to enter service now, but maybe it has. I didn't see it today so I don't know.

Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't run.

...Unless you was on the line the entire clocking every single train that ran

Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't run.

...Unless you was on the line the entire clocking every single train that ran

I mean, I did see every train that ran between 10 AM and 4 PM, including the two rush hour put-ins from Hudson Yards. I didn't see 7860-70 at all. It could be in the layup at Hudson Yards all the way in the back and I just missed it entirely.