R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does the (MTA) wants to convert R142A's or R142's into the R188's for the (7)<7> . Which R142A's during this will be affected. the (6) R142's, The (4) R142A's or both? Because I seen more R142's on the (4) than the R142A's

In the early 2000s, about 1080 R142s 520 cars of R142As were delivered, with 80 R142A (aka R142S) cars added later on. The first R142/As were sent to the (2)(5)(6) before going to the (4). By that time, the (3) was planned to have R142s, but instead the R142s went to the (4) and transfered 90% of the R62s to the (3). The remaining R62s went to the (3) just before the budget cuts of 2010.

Later, the MTA decided to have the (7) become CBTC similar to the (L), and the R188s were awarded to Kawasaki. Therefore, the first 380 R142As created, which were on the (6), were transfer to the (7) in exchange for R62As. Bombardier, being the a**holes that can't make an R179, are not qualified for the R188 order, and the R142s were untouched.

In the early 2000s, about 1080 R142s 520 cars of R142As were delivered, with 80 R142A (aka R142S) cars added later on. The first R142/As were sent to the (2)(5)(6) before going to the (4). By that time, the (3) was planned to have R142s, but instead the R142s went to the (4) and transfered 90% of the R62s to the (3). The remaining R62s went to the (3) just before the budget cuts of 2010.

Later, the MTA decided to have the (7) become CBTC similar to the (L), and the R188s were awarded to Kawasaki. Therefore, the first 380 R142As created, which were on the (6), were transfer to the (7) in exchange for R62As. Bombardier, being the a**holes that can't make an R179, are not qualified for the R188 order, and the R142s were untouched.

It wasn't because Bombardier was or wasn't qualified, the order by defalt went to Kawasaki considering that Bombardier figured the R188 project order was a minor task. Lord knows at the time of the R188 planning they we're qualified, but 6 or 7 years later and it seems as if things have changed.

Anyway, so what about this rumor about Corona possibly keeping some left over R62As.

Edited by jon2305

so what about this rumor about Corona possibly keeping some left over R62As.

From what I'm seeing, there are comments that there may be some remaining as leftover trains (use to pick-up garbage). That applies to the not converted single units. 

The 62As on the (7) that are there as of now may fill in for the 188s out of service for CBTC testing.  

Edited by CH3348

Why does the  (MTA) wants to convert R142A's or R142's into the R188's for the  (7)  <7> . Which R142A's during this will be affected. the  (6) R142's, The  (4) R142A's or both? Because I seen more R142's on the  (4) than the R142A's

The above posters answered the first part, for the second part the 4 uses mostly R142's with a few r142a's.

From what I'm seeing, there are comments that there may be some remaining as leftover trains (use to pick-up garbage). That applies to the not converted single units. 

The 62As on the (7) that are there as of now may fill in for the 188s out of service for CBTC testing.  

I think that is the case, as I saw one train of 62As in service today, and another train in the yard. There was a 5 car set (2081-2085) in Corona, not sure when they're planning to send it to the (6), and there was a set of singles in the barn (1926 was the lead). It would make sense if these trains filled in for the CBTC testers as there are two sets out of service now, 7860-70 and 7491-7927-7500.

Hold on-

A R142 did make its way on the (7) when they first being delivered sometime between 2004 and 2001, but due to space issues in the Steinway tubes, the (7) received R62A's instead from either the (4) (I cant exactly remember, correct me if I'm wrong.) or the (2)/(5) when the redbirds started retiring.

Hold on-

A R142 did make its way on the (7) when they first being delivered sometime between 2004 and 2001, but due to space issues in the Steinway tubes, the (7) received R62A's instead from either the (4) (I cant exactly remember, correct me if I'm wrong.) or the (2)/(5) when the redbirds started retiring.

First of all, the (7) received the R62As from the (3) & (6) primarily. As for a Bombardier R142 ever appearing on the (7) before, I can't even remember if one ever did appear.

Hold on-

It was more of a super swap all around...

The (7) got R62As from the (3) and (6) (whatever was left) while the (3) itself got the entire R62 fleet from the (4). The orange stickers you see were Jerome yard colors while Livonia was blue. They just never bothered taking them off.

It was more of a super swap all around...

The (7) got R62As from the (3) and (6) (whatever was left) while the (3) itself got the entire R62 fleet from the (4). The orange stickers you see were Jerome yard colors while Livonia was blue. They just never bothered taking them off.

Jerome still had two sets of R62s assigned to the (4) until 2009 when the rest ended up going to the (3)

Hold on-

There were never issues with running R142s or R142As in the Steinway tubes, or anywhere else on the 7 line for that matter. In fact, a test was done back in the early 2000's to ensure the R142As could run on the 7. The test was 100% successful. The cars handled the grade just fine.

However, when a few railfans noticed the train deadheading back from Corona Yard to the mainline, they (correctly) assumed the train was testing and (incorrectly) assumed that it failed the test. This was then posted on SubChat and other online forums of the time.

And thus, a common misconception developed that NTTs could not run on the 7 until some sort of unspecified "modifications" were done arose.

Such is how rumors start...

Edited by Dj Hammers

Do you guys think maybe some 5 car set R188 might run on the  (1) or  (3) train considering the  (2) is the only NTT on the IRT Seventh Avenue line?

On the (1) line? Nope. they probably would just borrow 62's from the (3) line again.

But on the (2) , (4) , (5) and (6) lines on a temporary basis? possibly. Like for example if one of those four lines has R142/As OOS due to SMS work. Maybe one or two sets would come over to fill in. The (1) and (4) lines borrowed R62A's from Corona in the 2000s. There's photos of the world fair cars running on the IRT mainline in the 70s..

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?4196

Do you guys think maybe some 5 car set R188 might run on the (1) or (3) train considering the (2) is the only NTT on the IRT Seventh Avenue line?

1. Why would they move R188s around and leave 6 cars sets to be unused?

And 2. Why the hell would the MTA care if the (1) and (3) don't have NTTs?

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

No I mean like when did they test a R142 on the (7), not the 142a. Was this when the 62A's were being swapped between the (6) and (7)?

A similar test was also done with the R142s around the same time.

Do you guys think maybe some 5 car set R188 might run on the  (1) or  (3) train considering the  (2) is the only NTT on the IRT Seventh Avenue line?

Extremely unlikely given the car requirements of the (7) line.

Ok, but has any R62's like the  (3) trains ran on the  (1)  (2)  (4)  (5)  (6)  <6> and  (7)  <7> trains?

It has happened before.