R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Barely find any R142as on the (6) nowadays 473 R188 cars are assigned to Corona. Does anybody like the new R188 sign update? I think it's pretty cool.

Did I just read a 3 paragraph rant on Westchester? (Not to sound condescending).

Barely find any R142as on the (6) nowadays 473 R188 cars are assigned to Corona. Does anybody like the new R188 sign update I think it's pretty cool.

Not necessarily, at this point, they should look pretty much the same if they were maintained with the same standards, but they're not. 93-9800's at Jamaica look worse than some of the older 160's. And exterior wise, yes R142s on the (4) look better than the ones on the (2) because 239th does not clean their cars well, but on the interior, the cars look pretty much the same. It really depends on how the yard treats them. A three year difference between the R142A's at Westchester and the R142A/Supplementals at Jerome, had they both been maintained equally with the same standards, would look the same regardless of the age. A new train that's a few years old and a new train that's brand new are obviously going to look different (For example, let's just say R188 7899 and R188 7935), but after a couple of years, the trains are going to gather the same rust and grime, regardless if they were built at the beginning of the order or the end of the order. However, the main issue I have with Westchester maintenance is the interiors of the cars. Let's take two sets, one from Westchester and one from Jerome, both built around the same time, and compare.

For the sake of comparison, we'll just have 7651-7655 from Westchester and 7666-7670 from Jerome. The only sets in between these are 7656-7660 and 7661-7665 (the reason I am skipping around those is because they have been switched around from Westchester to Jerome so it's hard to evaluate their state based on one yard). 7651-7655 (based at Westchester) is in terrible condition. When I rode 7651, it's lights were super dim, the light covers had grime in them, the LED interior displays were faded and worn, the strip map LED lights were barely visible they were so dim, and on the outside the train was just terrible looking. Not to mention, there are several videos on YouTube of 7652 with propulsion issues.

Now when I rode 7666-7670 (just two sets away), it was much different. The lights were brighter (not crazy bright, but they were in ok condition), the exterior was clean, as well as the interior. Everything seemed to be in acceptable and working order, and it was a smooth ride, unlike 7651 which buckled constantly. There is a very big difference in maintenance between the two yards. For some sets, yes the newer Supplemental order of R142A's do look newer than the older R142A's, and yes, most newer R160's look better than the older 8700's (although, that fleet two can be used as an example of poor yard maintenance). The maintenance of a fleet depends on the yard it's at. If the yard has terrible maintenance (like Westchester, 207th or Jamaica), then the cars will look worse than cars of the same fleet that are maintained at other yards.

Did I just read a 3 paragraph rant on Westchester? (Not to sound condescending).

Sorry for the post mess up^.

Edited by B46 via Utica

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

While I will grant that it would have been nice if Kawasaki had touched up the interior at all, one important thing to keep in mind is that these are 20 year old subway cars running long hours on one of the busiest transit lines in the US. They are not going to look immaculate, especially when you have riders that like to think the subway is their own personal space. Also, the R142As were not the dominant car force on the (4) like they were on the (6). A historical car assignment chart from Joe Korner's site indicates that in October 2007, there were 400 in use on the (6) and 110 in use on the (4). This meant that they would have had less of a chance of being beat up compared to their compatriots at Westchestert.

Also, 207th has deficient maintenance? Since when?

Listen I agree with Tech on this. Westchester NEEDS to start taking care of their cars. I was on 2078 just two weeks ago on the (7), and when I see it on the (6), the strip maps are falling apart, the cab door wasn't even secured in place correctly, the LED systems are failing, the AC system is all out of whack. I'm not just blaming Westchester here, I'm also blaming the people who use the (6), because they don't know how to ride the subway properly. You think the R32's on the (J) look bad? What I found on 2078 was repulsive. McDonald's bags thrown all over the place, smoothie cups on the seats, graffiti on map and on one side of the streets. I mean come on...

So, what would people prefer?

1 . Install the red/green displays over the old signs as a quick fix that allows 7 line riders to continue to quickly distinguish local trains from express trains, or

2. Put in a capital request to buy all-new destination signs for the fleet and force riders to go without this popular feature for an extended time (or possibly forever if the money isn't available)

Sometimes, 'good enough' is fine.

So, what would people prefer?

1 . Install the red/green displays over the old signs as a quick fix that allows 7 line riders to continue to quickly distinguish local trains from express trains, or

2. Put in a capital request to buy all-new destination signs for the fleet and force riders to go without this popular feature for an extended time (or possibly forever if the money isn't available)

Sometimes, 'good enough' is fine.

In regards to my previous comments, I don't hate the new additions to the signs. In fact, I think they're a good stop-gap measure until the MTA gets around to replacing the aging side signs. However, they cannot simply ignore the deteriorating conditions of the electronic signs, not only on the 142As, but their Bombardier counterparts as well. In my opinion and based on my observations, these signs will reach the end of the usefulness by the end of the decade if not earlier.

You know, I see this as an excuse that Westchester treats their cars like crap way too often. There are multiple flaws with this logic.

First and foremost, the (6) is one of the busiest lines in the system and the only local line that runs on the east side of Manhattan. The 142As have gone through hell and back over the past 15+ years to make service. If there's a distinct lack of maintenance on the cars, that's because they're in service somewhere on the line.

Secondly, why would Westchester intentionally sabotage their own cars by ignoring their maintenance needs? If anything, that would likely bring some sort of investigation on why cars at Westchester perform worse than their counterparts at Mosholu.

Speaking of which, that leads to my third point, which is that there are similar problems on the 142As on the (4) as well. The busted signs, braking problems and other problems seemingly localized to Westchester; they're on most of the 142As. They aren't as prevalent on the Mosholu cars because the 142As are a minority fleet on the (4) compared to the many 142s that make up the line's total fleet.

Finally, and this pertains to this issue alone, but it's a bit much to expect signs designed and built in 1999 will still function like new nearly 20 years later. The computers and electronic displays will not last the entire lifespan of the cars. Anyone who thinks otherwise are deluding themselves.

I've stated this over the years but it seems to go in one ear and out the other with some railfans. Any type of equipment on the (6) is maintained just like any other piece of equipment on any other line. The cars will be inspected, wheels will be trued, and what ever else needs to be done according to a schedule. Obviously if the (6) is running R62As or R142As those cars will be on the road (used) more than the same equipment on the (1) or (4) for example. If your fleet of cars are constantly in service when, exactly, do people think those cars are serviced? I can service 20 cars of the (5) line fleet every night for example because most of those cars are not operating 24/7 like the (6) does. In a month's time all of the (3), (5), (B), and (C) lines cars may be serviced while the (1), (4), (A) and (D) lines fleets are less likely to receive the same attention. Back in the day when the (6) ran the Pelham Bay to 125th St service overnights the maintenance shops saw those cars more frequently. It's not like the Westchester fleet has an excess of spares on hand make up service daily. To put it in simple terms if any of you railfans have the opportunity take a look at Westchester Yard middays, between the rush hours. Look at how many cars are in the yard at that time and compare that number to how many cars are in Concourse, East New York, or Fresh Pond for example. You can only maintain what's available to you. That's not excusing Westchester or any other barn but The same people working at Corona, Livonia, or 239th St, including supervision, are the same folks working at East New York, Concourse, or Pitkin. The workers pick just like we in RTO or Surface do. Just thought I'd throw that out here. Carry on.

I've stated this over the years but it seems to go in one ear and out the other with some railfans. Any type of equipment on the (6) is maintained just like any other piece of equipment on any other line. The cars will be inspected, wheels will be trued, and what ever else needs to be done according to a schedule. Obviously if the (6) is running R62As or R142As those cars will be on the road (used) more than the same equipment on the (1) or (4) for example. If your fleet of cars are constantly in service when, exactly, do people think those cars are serviced? I can service 20 cars of the (5) line fleet every night for example because most of those cars are not operating 24/7 like the (6) does. In a month's time all of the (3), (5), (B), and (C) lines cars may be serviced while the (1), (4), (A) and (D) lines fleets are less likely to receive the same attention. Back in the day when the (6) ran the Pelham Bay to 125th St service overnights the maintenance shops saw those cars more frequently. It's not like the Westchester fleet has an excess of spares on hand make up service daily. To put it in simple terms if any of you railfans have the opportunity take a look at Westchester Yard middays, between the rush hours. Look at how many cars are in the yard at that time and compare that number to how many cars are in Concourse, East New York, or Fresh Pond for example. You can only maintain what's available to you. That's not excusing Westchester or any other barn but The same people working at Corona, Livonia, or 239th St, including supervision, are the same folks working at East New York, Concourse, or Pitkin. The workers pick just like we in RTO or Surface do. Just thought I'd throw that out here. Carry on.

Excellent point. Never thought about it that way

• 2 weeks later...

Is 7935 in service?

It's probably in the Corona barn being checked out for final touch ups before entering revenue service.

Had the time to venture the (7) and a few things to note. One, I think those new LED lights on the R188s look tacky at best and they've should overhaul the whole display instead of doing it half-assed as mentioned before.

Second, officially all 506 R188 cars are on the (7) whether in or not yet in service. This would mean that the few remaining R62As should be moving out pretty soon. 1943-1949 original singles are coupled in 5 car sets with full cabs and might be transferred over next. They might couple together the rest of the singles in near numerical order as best as they can. Theres still about 3 R62As left and all three were in service yesterday. I'd probably give it to late July or early August till the very LAST R62A set leaves the (7).

They should, because the R188's ONLY now have the (7) and <7> programs. They have a lot of variations of the (7) programs, but they still only have the (7), so there's no reason why to not overhaul the display. I mean seriously, you only have two terminals, 34th and Main St (also Times Sq, Grand Central, Queensboro, Vernon, Hunters, Woodside, Junction, 74th, 111th, Willets Point, and 103rd.)

As of 7/5/16:

(6)<6>: 1651-1825, 1831-1840, 1911-1925, 1961-2070, 2076-2080, 2086-2090, 2096-2155, 2221-2225, 2346-2350 (390 R62A cars)

7591-7655: 65 R142A cars

(7)<7>:

All R188 sets stationed at Corona- 7211-7590 with 7899-7936, 7811-7898

Remaining R62A cars: 

1901-1908, 1910, 1926, 1934, 1938-1939, 1942, 1954, 1957-1960:  19 single units

1943-1944:1947-1949, 2071-2075, 2081-2085, 2091-2095: 20 cars: 5-car sets

I know I'm a little late, but I caught the final set with 7936 testing earlier today. I can't believe the order is complete. It seems like yesterday I was reading these forums wondering when the first set of R188s would go into service. Also, 2091-2095 and 2081-2085 were in service with a single, I don't remember the number. 2071-2075 was also in service with a 6 car set of singles. 1901's front rollsign was partially showing the (S) bullet. It wasn't leading, but I do find this strange since 1901-1905 will probably be coupled in a 5 car set and sent to the (6). They'll probably change the sign to the (6) when it gets transferred to Westchester.

7581-7936-7590:

Edited by Tech And Transit