R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep the R62As that's still on the (7) runs outside of rush hours as well. Caught one of the sets yesterday. I'm not going to lie, I actually like the R188s on the (7)

They both ran today. The first set was the train behind mines, and the other one was about 3 trains behind that

What the hell is "kanged"?

The CT Transit livery isn't even close to the MTA one...

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Terminology's from XDA, another forum I'm logged into in Tapatalk.

To "kang" is to essentially refurbish a trademark design or feature and call it your own.

For baseline development this usually promotes competition and innovation, but some Devs have been slanderous with what they've kanged.

I feel personally that the MTA is the Northeast's worst transit example. I just took the time to comb through some fiscal diaries of other agencies. As New Yorkers we've got it bad.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

>MTA is the worst transit example in the Northeast

>New York has two thirds of the nation's transit ridership and is single-handedly responsible for the rise in national public transit usage

>DC's Metro actually kills people

>A third of SEPTA's railcars are out of service

>NJT has no money and PATH hemmorhages it

>MBTA can't handle snow or money management properly

This shit gets hilarious by the day.

>New York has two thirds of the nation's transit ridership and is single-handedly responsible for the rise in national public transit usage

I agree. The MTA's problems are minor compared to what happens elsewhere. How many people die in New York due to equipment issues? WMATA has killed more people in its history due to technical issues than the MTA or any of its predecessor agencies have in their history, including Malbone Street and Union Square.

Terminology's from XDA, another forum I'm logged into in Tapatalk.

To "kang" is to essentially refurbish a trademark design or feature and call it your own.

For baseline development this usually promotes competition and innovation, but some Devs have been slanderous with what they've kanged.

I feel personally that the MTA is the Northeast's worst transit example. I just took the time to comb through some fiscal diaries of other agencies. As New Yorkers we've got it bad.

Did you also take the time to see where most of the transit agencies money comes from? NY has the most funding coming from the farebox. Sure theres mismanagement of said monies but look at the overall picture. Our gates arent distance based. We have an internining network. Free transfers (look at other systems. Philly alone charges a dollar for a transfer) and also betwen buses and subways. Express and local service side by side. Our headways are extremely close compares to other systems. And the biggest plus-24/7 service!. We also have rigorous testing of new equipment which is observed by other agencies. To say that the MTA is the Northeasts worse example is highly laughable! The post below yours pretty much sums it up quickly. Especially since no one else in the country moves 6 million people a day.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Love this!

Dont forget to add BART to the list.

I agree. The MTA's problems are minor compared to what happens elsewhere. How many people die in New York due to equipment issues? WMATA has killed more people in its history due to technical issues than the MTA or any of its predecessor agencies have in their history, including Malbone Street and Union Square.

When you put it that way...but you do have to admit, the fare after 2017 will be the highest ringer within a 110 mile area... $3 for local service is unheard of even if our neighbors slack elsewhere.

Just because we're doing better doesn't mean we shouldn't take heed

Your comment is a good breath of fresh air, but I am still I'll at ease with the MTA and fare increases. They stand to reverse ridership trends if they out price us...

Did you also take the time to see where most of the transit agencies money comes from? NY has the most funding coming from the farebox. Sure theres mismanagement of said monies but look at the overall picture. Our gates arent distance based. We have an internining network. Free transfers (look at other systems. Philly alone charges a dollar for a transfer) and also betwen buses and subways. Express and local service side by side. Our headways are extremely close compares to other systems. And the biggest plus-24/7 service!. We also have rigorous testing of new equipment which is observed by other agencies. To say that the MTA is the Northeasts worse example is highly laughable! The post below yours pretty much sums it up quickly. Especially since no one else in the country moves 6 million people a day.

Love this!

Dont forget to add BART to the list.

I'm used to paying for an Xfer in TOR/PART, so I'm not shell shocked about it. But those buses go further and it's justified from my POV.

And just because the farebox is the largest collection source doesn't justify increasing the fare so high that it's 27% over the national inflation rate.

Charging more for MetroCard replacements, for instance. Holding wasteful litterers accountable while not punishing those who do pay the fare in full. $1 is too easy. The card needs to be more than the ride not the other way around.

When you put it that way...but you do have to admit, the fare after 2017 will be the highest ringer within a 110 mile area... $3 for local service is unheard of even if our neighbors slack elsewhere.

Just because we're doing better doesn't mean we shouldn't take heed

Your comment is a good breath of fresh air, but I am still I'll at ease with the MTA and fare increases. They stand to reverse ridership trends if they out price us...

I'm used to paying for an Xfer in TOR/PART, so I'm not shell shocked about it. But those buses go further and it's justified from my POV.

And just because the farebox is the largest collection source doesn't justify increasing the fare so high that it's 27% over the national inflation rate.

Charging more for MetroCard replacements, for instance. Holding wasteful litterers accountable while not punishing those who do pay the fare in full. $1 is too easy. The card needs to be more than the ride not the other way around.

Are you kidding me? $3 will be completely worth it. It will help finance the Second Phase of the SAS, and it will allow for new subway car orders, it will allow for station rehabilitations, and it will make sure that the system is not driven into the ground. I would be willing to pay that much per ride. Also, it is a real bargain if you are going from Inwood–207th Street to Far Rockaway!

Are you kidding me? $3 will be completely worth it. It will help finance the Second Phase of the SAS, and it will allow for new subway car orders, it will allow for station rehabilitations, and it will make sure that the system is not driven into the ground. I would be willing to pay that much per ride. Also, it is a real bargain if you are going from Inwood–207th Street to Far Rockaway!

No. $3 per ride is extortion plain and simple. I'd rather pay $2 for each new MetroCard than $3 a ride which is ridiculous.

Did you honestly expect something different when the majority of the cars are simply upgraded versions of the 142As?

Hell yeah. Look at the R143 and R160. The MTA had some upgrades on R160 such as FIND system, Brighter interior, Dead-man handle, Metal plates around the window edges (in interior) to prevent vandalism, and glass not being able to be scratched. The cab corners is made of metal and not plastic. The R188 (fresh built sets) has same traction motors as R142A. It holds on to that old technology such as strip maps. It so very unoriginal not creative. 

Edited by Take a Ride on the 1

The R188s were basically built to the same plans as the R142As to save money. Also, as has been stated repeatedly, most of them are just R142As upgraded for CBTC. Would be quite odd to have a train where one car has a FIND and the others have strip maps.

You won't like this either, but the R179s will basically be R160s, again likely to save money on a redesign and speed the introduction of new cars.

Hell yeah. Look at the R143 and R160. The MTA had some upgrades on R160 such as FIND system, Brighter interior, Dead-man handle, Metal plates around the window edges (in interior) to prevent vandalism, and glass not being able to be scratched. The cab corners is made of metal and not plastic. The R188 (fresh built sets) has same traction motors as R142A. It holds on to that old technology such as strip maps. It so very unoriginal not creative. 

thats because the B Division actually needs FIND systems-- it has much more fleet interchange the A Division. Also the R188's just operating on the 7-- its not like a whole new revolutionary thing like the R160s were. Its meant to be a refresh of sorts (CBTC asides).

thats because the B Division actually needs FIND systems-- it has much more fleet interchange the A Division. Also the R188's just operating on the 7-- its not like a whole new revolutionary thing like the R160s were. Its meant to be a refresh of sorts (CBTC asides).

The only 2 IRT lines that exchange fleets (the 2 and 5) have strip maps that show both. Everything else just stays on one line.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Oh wait, you're serious.

Let me laugh even harder.