R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

No R-62A moves for quite a while.  It looks like none will be forthcoming for a while either.

For those keeping score, here's where they were as of August 5:

375 @ 240 Street for 1:  1826-1830, 1841-1900, 2156-2220, 2226-2345, 2351-2475.

395 @ Westchester for 6:  1651-1825, 1831-1840, 1911-1925, 1943, 1944, 1947-1949, 1961-2070, 2076-2080, 2086-2090, 2096-2155, 2221-2225, 2346-2350.  65 R-142A's are also leftover.

34 @ Corona for 7:  1901-1908, 1910, 1926, 1934, 1938, 1939, 1942, 1954, 1957-1960, 2071-2075, 2081-2085, 2091-2095.
There's still one or two a day running Mon-Fri.

Plus the 20 Shuttle cars, of course!

(1927, 1928, 1930-1933, 1935-1937, 1940, 1941, 1952, 1955, 1956)

:D 

Those R62As that are left on the (7) are being kept for service fill-in's due to a few R188s having their CBTC components tested. Still no telling when those R62As will be transferred over to the mainline yet but the whole CBTC work on the (7) really depends on the signals and communications as oppose to just the trains.

We all know about it already

They would read this and laugh

They're blockheads all right. Laugh? They'll [emoji90] on it. But a wakeup call for then is in the works. However, I need help shifting the ideology of our role in the Northeast.

The MTA's lack of progress is a chokehold in the most important juncture in the Northeast. I feel that going after MTA policies directly will be futile as would addressing them directly.

Strings need to be pulled from the back ends.

????Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

No because the (7) is permanently 11 cars and R142s are in permanent 5 car sets.

Eleven? I always wondered why the platforms seemed so large.

Was it always that way?[emoji53]

On the (1) line? Nope. they probably would just borrow 62's from the (3) line again.

But on the (2) , (4) , (5) and (6) lines on a temporary basis? possibly. Like for example if one of those four lines has R142/As OOS due to SMS work. Maybe one or two sets would come over to fill in. The (1) and (4) lines borrowed R62A's from Corona in the 2000s. There's photos of the world fair cars running on the IRT mainline in the 70s..

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?4196

That (1) car is beautiful. Do you think blue and gold are New York colors? I don't. CTTransit buses have been kanged.

It doesn't matter if the Seventh Avenue Line has only one line with NTTs, the R62/As are still in decent WORKING condition and got another decade or so for useful service life so they are NOT going anywhere anytime soon.

As the (N)(Q)(R) get the screens installed and tested, will GTFS feeds eventually benefit from the Real time data?

The (5) is real time, all others are static (timetable only).

2abe5bef0fb3039e33013bf927a80108.jpg

It still is on the BMT radio frequency though

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I remembered chatting with an employee during the Delancey reroute phase during the week before last Turkey day.

You guys still use separate frequency bands for the three systems? Even the radio LCD he held to me said IND.

And yes, this was at West 4th during week 9 (of 40) of (A)(C) trains rerouted via the (F) with the (E) at the lower level.

Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't run.

...Unless you was on the line the entire clocking every single train that ran

I sometimes do that. Those new displays are certainly fixating. I can't wait for them to be uploaded and compiled to the agency GTFS. Then I can see real times for those trains.

When train schedules aren't available, sometimes I can still see them on the Transit app.

New York's system is so large that having the radio would likely get clogged up if everything was on the same band. The BMT/IND/IRT division makes for an easy way to assign segments of the system. Of course, the (7) is on the BMT band, as are the (B)(D)(M) in Brooklyn and (F) south of Church, while the (R) is on the IND in Queens.

As cl94 said, it reduces clutter and honestly there is no need to communcate between the divisions, because they generally operate independently of each other. Eventually in the future you may see the BMT and IND frequencies combined into one.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Eventually in the future you may see the BMT and IND frequencies combined into one.

And that would likely be to eliminate the need for a bunch of services to change frequency.

As of now, the following services change frequency at some point along their route:

(B)(D)(F)(M)(R)

When SAS opens, the (Q) will flip to the IND frequency just south of Lex/63rd. 

Here's a listing of what'll be on each frequency for the entire route when SAS opens:

IND: (A)(C)(E)(G)(H)

BMT: (J)(L)(N)(Z)(7) Franklin (S)

IRT: (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) Times Square (S)

With SAS, 6/17 of the B Division lines will need to change frequency, which the MTA may desire to avoid, but we're getting ahead of ourselves there.

For the uninitiated, the (7) is lumped with the B Division because that is its only track connection with the rest of the system. All car moves to the rest of the IRT have to either hop on the Bay Ridge branch with a diesel and use the unpowered connection at Linden Shops or get over to the IND and cross over to the IRT at 207th St or Concourse.

Even though the R188 order is complete, the R62As that are at Corona are used as extras and CBTC testing (mentioned above).

The text states that the R62A's are there to FILL IN for R188's that are still going through CBTC testing. Some R62A's on the (7) are used as garbage trains (the singles).

At this point, very few R62As ever see service and the line is mostly R188s. As of the June car assignments, a whopping 3 sets were in rush hour service, which happens to be approximately how many sets of R142As are on the (6) {4}.

At this point, very few R62As ever see service and the line is mostly R188s. As of the June car assignments, a whopping 3 sets were in rush hour service, which happens to be approximately how many sets of R142As are on the (6) {4}.

I was pleasantly on an R142A on the (6) yesterday. The air conditioning felt good.

Surprised to see one of the R62A sets out on the (7) yesterday. Getting rarer and rarer.

That (1) car is beautiful. Do you think blue and gold are New York colors? I don't. CTTransit buses have been kanged.

Blue and gold are the State colors of New York so, yes, they're New York colors.

Surprised to see one of the R62A sets out on the (7) yesterday. Getting rarer and rarer.

2 sets are out yesterday: One is a 5-car with 6 singles and the other is a 2 5 cars with a single unit in the middle. 

Edited by CH3348