R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

That's like saying people shouldn't be excited over a sequel.

No what I'm saying is that these rail fans act like those trains are going to explode or something and they crowd the whole train up just because they want to take pictures and enjoy the ride. That's why when I was trying to go to Jamaica Center I couldn't even get on the train which was an R32 because all these guys were taking pictures and so on. The R32's have been around for 49 years and them being on the (J) is no big deal. The next train was an R160A and it was normal :). I can only imagine how jam packed that R188 will be and all the other R62A's will be normal.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing sequel like about the R188s. They are the exact same thing we already have, but some are new builds and they are running on a different line. If the cars were different enough from the 142s I could maybe understand the excitement, but this?

Exactly, A SEQUEL. Same protagonist, different plot.

To College PT Man, I can't even respond to what you said because all you did was explain why someone should at least witness a first in history. 

The First time a  (J) has been an R32. And no, the (QJ) doesn't count.

The first time the (7) got NTTs.

I mean, that's like telling the Shinkengers that the fact that even though forming Shinken-Oh was a first in history, there are plenty of other giant robots from other Super Sentai somewhere in Japan able to kick the monsters ass so it's not as important as they think.

Edited by LTA1992

There is nothing sequel like about the R188s. They are the exact same thing we already have, but some are new builds and they are running on a different line. If the cars were different enough from the 142s I could maybe understand the excitement, but this?

Dude I love the way you think. I understand if you catch it once or twice, but there's people who goes looking for the R32 (J) every single day, then get mad when you call them a foamer. Hell, I love about a mike away from the (J), and I have yet to actually look for it. I ran into it a few times while going somewhere else, but a far as taking a picture of it or making love to the RFW, there's no point of it when the 42s been doing the same thing for decades

I agree too. That's why I just basicially grap whichever comes first on the (J) ever since I started summer school. I can always get an RFW and nostalgia with the 32s on the (C). For me, the (C)(J) swap is nothing special to be honest, which is why I hardly have the intention of waiting, and waiting, and waiting for an R32 (J) and/or R160A-1 (C).

On topic: It would be great if they could keep the RFW on the R62A cars from the (7) that are transfering to the (6), but RTOPRO has, of course, revealed they are going away for good. Oh well I guess...at least I can feel the nostalgia I had never actually gotten on the IRT Pelham Line before.

Exactly, A SEQUEL. Same protagonist, different plot.

To College PT Man, I can't even respond to what you said because all you did was explain why someone should at least witness a first in history.

The First time a (J) has been an R32. And no, the (QJ) doesn't count.

The first time the (7) got NTTs.

I mean, that's like telling the Shinkengers that the fact that even though forming Shinken-Oh was a first in history, there are plenty of other giant robots from other Super Sentai somewhere in Japan able to kick the monsters ass so it's not as important as they think.

The NTT's on the 7 will be on that line for 40 years as far as the R32 (J) it's nothing too special.

I agree too. That's why I just basicially grap whichever comes first on the (J) ever since I started summer school. I can always get an RFW and nostalgia with the 32s on the (C). For me, the (C)(J) swap is nothing special to be honest, which is why I hardly have the intention of waiting, and waiting, and waiting for an R32 (J) and/or R160A-1 (C).

On topic: It would be great if they could keep the RFW on the R62A cars from the (7) that are transfering to the (6), but RTOPRO has, of course, revealed they are going away for good. Oh well I guess...at least I can feel the nostalgia I had never actually gotten on the IRT Pelham Line before.

For me Since I live By the (1) Im very used not to having the Rfw so it does't make a big difference just be happy that at least (6) isnt being dominated by NTT anymore, the date for the R188 testing is still probably gonna be July 31 now that the full 11 car set is at Corona

Edited by R62AR33

For me Since I live By the (1) Im very used not to having the Rfw so it does't make a big difference just be happy that at least (6) isnt being dominated by NTT anymore, the date for the R188 testing is still probably gonna be July 31 now that the full 11 car set is at Corona

What do you mean "be happy"?

The NTT's on the 7 will be on that line for 40 years as far as the R32 (J) it's nothing too special.

But there's nothing like witnessing the beginning. To have the honor of being there. I'm sure you'll be saying the same thing about the 7 Subway Extension or SAS? Because that too, will be around for a long time.

I didn't say you were incorrect, I said it was pedantic. It's incredibly common for workers and supervisors alike to refer to Westchester Yard or Corona Yard for assignments; I even recall a former head of the MTA referring to 207th St. Yard. For shared yards, the distinction becomes more important, as in your 137th St. example. You are by no means wrong--you're quite correct--but this is not a significant dilemma.

Of course there's a 207th St. Yard. I see no reason that a former (or current) head of the MTA wouldn't refer to it. Plenty of trains are stored there as I type this. But no cars are assigned to the yard.

But there's nothing like witnessing the beginning. To have the honor of being there. I'm sure you'll be saying the same thing about the 7 Subway Extension or SAS? Because that too, will be around for a long time.

I certainly don't want to rain on your parade. If being on the first R188 excites you, go for it.

To my mind, it's just a subway car, and I'll have 40 years to ride it on the 7 (unlike almost any other car class, there's no risk that it will be reassigned elsewhere). If anything, I'll be hunting down the R62A's as they become less and less prevalent on the line.

The opening of a new line is a different story entirely, since it's providing brand new transportation options. Even a CBTC cutover is a big deal to me, since it's an entirely different mode of operation (and I'm generally interested in signal systems). But a simple substitution of one car class for another? No thanks. I'm not going to actively avoid R188's, but I'm also not going to hunt them down.

I certainly don't want to rain on your parade. If being on the first R188 excites you, go for it.

To my mind, it's just a subway car, and I'll have 40 years to ride it on the 7 (unlike almost any other car class, there's no risk that it will be reassigned elsewhere). If anything, I'll be hunting down the R62A's as they become less and less prevalent on the line.

The opening of a new line is a different story entirely, since it's providing brand new transportation options. Even a CBTC cutover is a big deal to me, since it's an entirely different mode of operation (and I'm generally interested in signal systems). But a simple substitution of one car class for another? No thanks. I'm not going to actively avoid R188's, but I'm also not going to hunt them down.

Obviously. The transit enthusiasts armed with the cameras would, as protocol, catch changes and new occurrences on the system as it happens. R188's first day of revenue service? Very important day for the amateur photographers so they can get the pics and videos and upload it on the transit sites.

Even going as far as the professional journalists for major newspapers, or the reporters and multimedia artists on the television media networks even, the first days of revenue service for new rolling stock will be important stories the editors would absolutely want to publish, articles and pics and/or video footage, post on the net or broadcast. Just as much as the railfanners on the transit sites. That's how significant such milestones in transit are.

I'm with LTA1992 on this one.

Edited by realizm

Of course there's a 207th St. Yard. I see no reason that a former (or current) head of the MTA wouldn't refer to it. Plenty of trains are stored there as I type this. But no cars are assigned to the yard.

Hunt? I don't hunt. They come to me.

Buzz Killington, a new (or somewhat new) subway car entering the system is just as important to transit history as the opening of a new line. Why? Just like the opening of a new line brings new transportation options, new subway cars can bring a new transportation experience. I mean, looking at the R160, seeing the original 10 Bs and As gives me a bit of nostalgia because it was so amazing to see an NTT somewhere other than the (L). I find riding 8713-8722 and 8653-8662 to be very different than all the others. Because they were the firsts, and I was able to witness these beginnings of transit history a month after they began service on the (N). And one day, when my nephew gets older, I can tell him, "I was there when these trains came into service." It opes the door to stories. Despite how small the event seems to be. But that's the thing, the greatest stories that I've heard have come from small events. Ranging from just chilling in Coney Island in the 80s, to a ghost walking the halls in one of my moms old apartments in the Bx.

For me, it's like getting a new game. Yes, I'll be playing it for years to come, but to get it brand new, out of the box (In the case of GTA V, the first day), Is an exciting thing.

Edited by LTA1992

Here are the locations of the current R188s (1st option order not included at this time)

Corona Yard:

R142A Conversions/C-cars: 7211-7215, (1 6-car set*)

Coney Island Complex^:

R188 New Cars - base order: 7811-7821

Unionport/E180 St. Yards:

R142A Conversions/C-cars: 7216-7220/7899

R188 New Cars - base order: 7822-7832

Kawasaki Yonkers Facility or Unknown Location (R188 new cars 1st option order not included at this time)```:

R142A Conversions/C-cars: 7221-7230/7900

* A 6 car train has made its way to Corona, thus a 11-car train is present at Corona (credits to 4P3607). If anyone knows what the numbers are of the 6-car set, please notify me via this thread.

^ R188s may be gone from Coney Island Complex. If anyone knows where they have gone to, please notify me via this thread.

``` 7221-7230 are rumored to be back from conversion, along with a new R188 C-car numbered 7900. If anyone knows where these cars currently are, please notify me via this thread.

Edited by mtattrain

7226-7-8 is in 239 st yard by themselves, I don't know if they are R142A or R188. I'm assuming they are R188.

I'm checking out Corona yard today (On my bike :P ) to see what is going on. Yesterday I saw a redbird pulling out R62A during rush hour. I don't know where that is going.

7211-7899-7220 are all at Corona for school car which has already commenced. Picked crews of T/Os, C/Rs and TSS' are training on the R188 out of Corona yard daily from the yard into Main St and Times Square mid-days. This will keep taking place until all 7 line pick crews, sufficient Vacation Relief List crews and Extra List crews are fully trained and familiarized.

Then over the course of time as more cars make their way to the 7 line more A division Vacation relief, Extra List and XX personnel will be trained. These cars specifically could see service as soon as next month pending certain requirements being satisfied in terms of performance and these cars specifically are not meeting those requirements and will likely end up in service without ever meeting those requirements. In all honesty they run like junk. The new builds run millions of times better.

7227-7230 were last spotted at 239 yard and they are conversion cars as well.

7211-7899-7220 are all at Corona for school car which has already commenced. Picked crews of T/Os, C/Rs and TSS' are training on the R188 out of Corona yard daily from the yard into Main St and Times Square mid-days. This will keep taking place until all 7 line pick crews, sufficient Vacation Relief List crews and Extra List crews are fully trained and familiarized.

Then over the course of time as more cars make their way to the 7 line more A division Vacation relief, Extra List and XX personnel will be trained. These cars specifically could see service as soon as next month pending certain requirements being satisfied in terms of performance and these cars specifically are not meeting those requirements and will likely end up in service without ever meeting those requirements. In all honesty they run like junk. The new builds run millions of times better.

7227-7230 were last spotted at 239 yard and they are conversion cars as well.

I hope you don't mind but can you go into detail about how the older cars are running like junk?

By word of mouth from a transit worker on this board, the Culver Viaduct is having CBTC test track installed. Aside from the fact that the Rockaways test trackage got wrecked from storm damage, I guess that would be an additional reason for the reforecasting of conditional acceptance testing completion pushed ahead to March 2014, contract completion date posponed until August 2016 as the MTA powerpoint presentation scans states, correct?

Edited by realizm

I hope you don't mind but can you go into detail about how the older cars are running like junk?

Dead motors popping up in the rain. The constant bucking is still an issue. Train Network Faults.

These are all pretty sizable issues for a number of reasons.

1. A majority of the 7 line is outdoors so trains will be subjected to inclement conditions more often than on the 6 line
  2. These cars are supposed to last a long time and if they are already going through these issues billions of dollars are and will go down the toilet
  3. Corona barn does not need a yard full and barn full of trains to nanny like Westchester babysits the trains now
  4. These are all bad signs for CBTC. A train's ability to operate in ATO mode will likely revolve somewhat around the train's ability to perform

By word of mouth from a transit worker on this board, the Culver Viaduct is having CBTC test track installed. Aside from the fact that the Rockaways test trackage got wrecked from storm damage, I guess that would be an additional reason for the reforecasting of conditional acceptance testing completion pushed ahead to March 2014, contract completion date posponed until August 2016 as the MTA powerpoint presentation scans states, correct?

The Culver CBTC test track has nothing to do with the R188's or the Flushing line. Once the permanent NYCT CBTC standard is set - the one that will be in place on the QBL and on all subsequent CBTC installations - new vendors will be required to demonstrate interoperability before they will be allowed to bid. That will take place on the Culver test track.

The Culver CBTC test track has nothing to do with the R188's or the Flushing line. Once the permanent NYCT CBTC standard is set - the one that will be in place on the QBL and on all subsequent CBTC installations - new vendors will be required to demonstrate interoperability before they will be allowed to bid. That will take place on the Culver test track.

I see, that's why. I was actually wondering about that as this was indeed a CBTC installment as per INDman.

Here are the locations of the current R188s (1st option order not included at this time)

Corona Yard:

R142A Conversions/C-cars: 7211-7220/7899

Coney Island Complex^:

R188 New Cars - base order: 7811-7826

Unionport/E180 St. Yards:

R188 New Cars - base order: 7827-7832

239th St. Yard:

R142A Conversions/C-cars: 7221-7230/7900

^ R188s may be gone from Coney Island Complex. If anyone knows where they have gone to, please notify me via this thread.

Edited by mtattrain