R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry I'm not shocked. The R62s are brand new compared to the R32s that are still operating on the  (C) and have been recently assigned to the  (J) / (Z)  too. But I prefer the R142/R188 since they are better trains.

The R62/As look like new because they get Maintained Very well By Corona , Westchester and 240st yards and i just got the info , I havent gotten the car numbers yet so don't ask yet but next week expect 2 more sets of R62As on the (6) one is there to replace R188 7221-7230 and the other as a spare .

Edited by R62AR33

Don't worry I'm not shocked. The R62s are brand new compared to the R32s that are still operating on the (C) and have been recently assigned to the (J) / (Z) too. But I prefer the R142/R188 since they are better trains.

The R62/As look like new because they get Maintained Very well By Corona , Westchester and 240st yards and i just got the info , I havent gotten the car numbers yet so don't ask yet but next week expect 2 more sets of R62As on the (6) one is there to replace R188 7221-7230 and the other as a spare .

Nice,by the way what is your source.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Nice,by the way what is your source. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I got a friend who works for westchester yard . As for the R188s why bother trying and foam when you can ride it at anytime almost , and i feel beed for the motorman and conducter for that train lol . Whats the big deal though the R188s is former R142As just on a new line .

Edited by R62AR33

The (1) got 1891-1895 and 2236-2240 back about a week ago. If the (6) gets more sets of R62A's expect them to have full width cabs, but if one has a railfan window, expect the foamers to move away from the (7) Just saying!

The (1) got 1891-1895 and 2236-2240 back about a week ago. If the (6) gets more sets of R62A's expect them to have full width cabs, but if one has a railfan window, expect the foamers to move away from the (7) Just saying!

Na all R62As that get swapped back to the (6) will all have full width cabs .

Guess due to the swap of 2141-2145 for 1746-1750, well it looks like all will have full width cabs, but who knows. I can't jump to conclusions just yet since the (MTA) tends to change their minds at the last minute.

That decision is not changing that is why all R62As before they get sent back to the (6) go to Coney Island to get converted to Full width cab. That was one of Westchester Yards requests before re accepting the R62As . The Reason that 2141-2145 left was because passengers were complaining about the rfw so instantly 1741-1745 got sent back to the (6) .

Edited by R62AR33

You mean crews, as I don't think they'd want to be crammed in a small cab after being used to a full width cab for so many years. I don't see how passengers would complain about having a few extra seats and space to stand.

Yea lol thanks 

I think this is the time to leave the RFW behind and move on. I don't care about the railfan window since the full width cab still allows me to see the front which I am still okay with that. Those foamers who hog the RFW should also move on from the railfan window. You leave the past behind and move on to the future.

I think this is the time to leave the RFW behind and move on. I don't care about the railfan window since the full width cab still allows me to see the front which I am still okay with that. Those foamers who hog the RFW should also move on from the railfan window. You leave the past behind and move on to the future.

(sigh) Thank you!

I mean, technically, it's probably better to have a full-width cab, and, technically, it's probably some form of Geneva-recognized torture to make a T/O stand in a tiny cab for an hour and a half, but I still love those railfan windows. For a lot of us, every train had one of those growing up, and there's still something insanely nostalgic about them in today's modern subway. But progress before nostalgia...

I mean, technically, it's probably better to have a full-width cab, and, technically, it's probably some form of Geneva-recognized torture to make a T/O stand in a tiny cab for an hour and a half, but I still love those railfan windows. For a lot of us, every train had one of those growing up, and there's still something insanely nostalgic about them in today's modern subway. But progress before nostalgia...

Absolutely. Many T/O's and C/Rs had expressed their displeasure and frustration with half end cabs (i.e R32's, R42's) from what I've read and personally seen. Standing in one place without freedom of movement for hours is not anatomically and physiologically good on the legs, spine and feet. I sympathize with the train crews assigned to the lines where these SMEEs are assigned to by the dispatchers.

Edited by realizm

Possibly during Midday hours. I don't think the crew might want to put it out during rush hours since the train might backfire and put a hell of a mess if it does.

Crew qualifications are only done during off peak hours because there is no room to fit the train in between on peak headways.

In all honesty the only thing truly new about these cars is the new addition of the C car and the CBTC equipment which is not really going to be operational for quite some time. So it's debatable as to whether these cars will experience any 30 day revenue testing. The new deliveries are another story.

In all honesty the only thing truly new about these cars is the new addition of the C car and the CBTC equipment which is not really going to be operational for quite some time. So it's debatable as to whether these cars will experience any 30 day revenue testing. The new deliveries are another story.

So they'll just go right into service tomorrow and stay there?

I haven't heard anything about them going into service tomorrow. According to the last documentation I've seen road qualifications for the equipment will be going on well into next week for T/Os and C/Rs and in order to do that the only pieces that are in Corona need to be made available for the class.