R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Before getting to school to take care of further enrollment of classes and take care of financial aid issues the R188 showed up again @ 5th Ave. The consist only makes one round trip before returning to Corona Yard. Between 10-10:30 AM and 12PM, the train is making the run to/from Times Square, Monday thru Friday

I made a video and posted it on youtube, I guarantee you will find this interesting.

Link can be found here (Reoccurring glitch in the IP Board hosting software from it's Adobe Flash issues I'm assuming is forcing me to link only the site address, many photographers yesterday had the same problem):

The clock is ticking:

94bi.jpg

R188 Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ruxrBPoZp4o

Thanks Union Tpke. Fixed with your lead on the BBCode adjustment. It was a "o" in the script, and Adobe Flash on my end which I updated on the fly (New Computer on Win 8). Now my video is working.

Edited by realizm

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they going to fix the annoying squeaky brakes on some of the R142As when they are converted? I ride the (4) and (6) everyday and I notice that lot of the (6) 's R142A's have very squeaky brakes while I rarely ever see that on the (4)'s R142As. Why is that?

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

Are they going to fix the annoying squeaky brakes on some of the R142As when they are converted? I ride the (4) and (6) everyday and I notice that lot of the (6) 's R142A's have very squeaky brakes while I rarely ever see that on the (4)'s R142As. Why is that?

The R142As from the (6) have always been maintained bad by westchester Yard , and when converted more than likely they will fix it  so that the passengers for the (7) think that they have a brand new train and not a second hand new train . As for the 6 or 7 R142As that will stay on the (6) after conversions more than likely not , they will stay as how they are .

Edited by R62AR33

It's less that Westchester's maintenance is so terrible as much as that the (6) is one of the toughest--if not the toughest--line(s) in the system. 

I have even said the same thing long pages ago...if the (6) is really too busy, then that can in part be a reason why the R142As are being pushed way beyond their limits to provide very frequent service on the (6) line.

Yesterday while on the (7) leaving Willets Point, I see the R188 signed up as (7) entering Corona yard. This was around 9:45 AM. Shouldn't it be leaving, not entering, 45 minutes from then? I also didn't seem to see any crew, but the front was hard to see.

I saw a R188 at Junction Blvd a few weekends ago with the side LED reading " <7> Super Express" on the middle track.. I wonder what in the world a <7> Super Express would be

It would be the baseball special and US Open special. I believe its Mets Willets-Points, 61st Street-Woodside, Queensboro Plaza and all stops in Manhattan. 

Edited by via White Plains Road

I have even said the same thing long pages ago...if the (6) is really too busy, then that can in part be a reason why the R142As are being pushed way beyond their limits to provide very frequent service on the (6) line.

That is a huge Positive for the R62As returning back to the (6) , they can handle the (6) line fine .

Edited by R62AR33

That is a huge Positive for the R62As returning back to the (6) , they can handle the (6) line fine .

I'm not expert in terms of train car maintanance or any statistical data associated with the fleet, but what makes you think that 62As can handle the line any better than 142As? As far as I'm concerned, it's a signficant, but necessary downgrade because the 142As and all of the other NTTs allow for better passenger flow because the doors are wider as they are constructed architectually to allow for increased passenger flow.

It seems to me you're just blatantly bashing NTTs for no apparent reason. Westchester Yard is Westchester Yard. What makes you think they won't run the well maintained Flushing cars to the ground as well.

I'm not expert in terms of train car maintanance or any statistical data associated with the fleet, but what makes you think that 62As can handle the line any better than 142As? As far as I'm concerned, it's a signficant, but necessary downgrade because the 142As and all of the other NTTs allow for better passenger flow because the doors are wider as they are constructed architectually to allow for increased passenger flow.

It seems to me you're just blatantly bashing NTTs for no apparent reason. Westchester Yard is Westchester Yard. What makes you think they won't run the well maintained Flushing cars to the ground as well.

Im not bashing the NTTs for any reason at all , they have ran on the (6) well for the most part  while there , but because the (6) is so busy and the huge crowds during rush hour the line took its toll on the R142As , The R62As and were made for that and can handle the (6) more because they can handle the trips and crowds on lex better than the R142As , rememeber both trains were built differently and have different specs , but i am not taking anything away from the R142As . Lets not forget that the R62As ran on the (6) for 15-16 yrs before getting sent to flushing there were no issues then as there should't be any now.  Let me point out as well yes the R142As were made to take a beating but were not even supposed to run on the (6) in the first place they should have been on flushing and were primarily made to be ran on the (7) and no where else, so its just a mix of both bad meinenance and design for the R142As unfortanently.

Edited by R62AR33

I just got a report that the 188s already at Corona 7211 etc were seen going south bound at 46st at 8:25 PM

You may missed a slew of the posts prior to posting yours. Those cars have been at Corona for several weeks now and crews are receiving their qualification training on a daily basis.

Seems the R188 testing has finally caught the attention of the press. Article is in DNAinfo New York, dated August 9th:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130809/jackson-heights/mta-testing-new-computer-guided-trains-on-7-line

MTA Testing New Computer-Guided Trains on 7 Line

thumbnail.jpgBy Katie Honan on August 9, 2013 6:59am | Updated on August 9, 2013 6:59am

larger.jpg
The new 7 trains have been tested for a few days, according to the MTA.
DNAinfo/Katie Honan

QUEENS — It's robo-train, for Queens.

The MTA has started testing its newest 7 trains, part of a plan to roll out computer-run operations on the line much like those on the L train.

“We’re in the process of building out CBTC (communications-based train control) on the 7,” said MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz of the $385 million project.

The 7 train will be the second line to have this technology.

One test train, with seats still covered in plastic, was spotted by DNAinfo rolling through the 61st Street-Woodside station.

Ortiz said the authority started testing the trains within the last few days.

The MTA is retrofitting older R142 trains, which currently run on the Lexington line, to work with the automated technology. They will also roll out brand new R188 train models, which will run only on the 7 line.

As work continues on the line, 7 train service will be suspended between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square-42 Street from 11:45 p.m. Aug. 19 to 5 a.m. the next day.

The MTA said the new technology will be a win for straphangers, providing more reliable service, more frequent service and countdown clocks along the busy 7 line.

The project, which is expected to be completed by 2016, is almost halfway done, with conduits, fiber optic cables and instrument rooms installed, the MTA said.