R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard anything about them going into service tomorrow. According to the last documentation I've seen road qualifications for the equipment will be going on well into next week for T/Os and C/Rs and in order to do that the only pieces that are in Corona need to be made available for the class.

That's the rumor. I'm not 100% sure where it started, I heard it might have started from someone on Facebook but I don't have one so I wouldn't know. But I also heard the person who started it is credible and has been right. I'm headed out tomorrow, and I'm sure plenty of other people will still be going out too (in fact the (7) will probably be a massive foamerfest). Will it run? We'll find out.

There should be 33 cars on property. Of which 23 are brand new.

There are definitely more than 33 cars on TA property. 33 is pure speculation. At minimum there are at least 44 on property overall but no one can seem to get an exact number unless you are a ranking official in new car equipment deliveries department.

Well No Matter what happens still expect 2 more extra sets of R62As next week on the (6) I as well found out that R62As 1741-1750 are offically reassinged to Westchester permanently but will not get the yard stickers changed back to yellow till more sets re arrive to Westchester ,

Edited by R62AR33

There are definitely more than 33 cars on TA property. 33 is pure speculation. At minimum there are at least 44 on property overall but no one can seem to get an exact number unless you are a ranking official in new car equipment deliveries department.

It's 44 new cars for now, with 22 as new sets (7811-7832) and 22 as converted sets/new C-cars (7211-7230/7899-7900).

Oh, didn't know the options started coming in yet. The base order was 23 new cars and 10 converted.

Edited by LTA1992

Well No Matter what happens still expect 2 more extra sets of R62As next week on the (6) I as well found out that R62As 1741-1750 are offically reassinged to Westchester permanently but will not get the yard stickers changed back to yellow till more sets re arrive to Westchester ,

That is probably due to the first 188 train entering service. Don't know why they'd send 2 though, best to have as many possible spares to replace the R188 if necessary.

That is probably due to the first 188 train entering service. Don't know why they'd send 2 though, best to have as many possible spares to replace the R188 if necessary.

Nah. Westchester is kicking out another R142A set to be converted. The (1) got back the sets they loaned to Corona Yard (Except for the singles) so there was space to bring the R188 to Corona Yard.

Last I heard was that it starts July 31 and ends August 31 so be on the look out for it.

Aha, so this is where the rumor started!

Folks, the so-called 30-day test is not for a fixed 30 (or 32) days. If there is a major failure (which is not unlikely), the clock starts over again. Anybody who claims a fixed 30-day (or 32-day) period for the test is either making up his information or getting his information from somebody who's making it up.

Hold your foam, folks.

That decision is not changing that is why all R62As before they get sent back to the (6) go to Coney Island to get converted to Full width cab. That was one of Westchester Yards requests before re accepting the R62As . The Reason that 2141-2145 left was because passengers were complaining about the rfw so instantly 1741-1745 got sent back to the (6) .

Yards (i.e., storage facilities) certainly don't care about cab configuration. Maintenance shops might.

But in this case it's being done simply so that any two five-car units can be coupled together with no risk that the conductor will have to walk back and forth between cars as the platforms switch sides.

You say that passengers were complaining. What were passengers allegedly complaining about?

Possibly during Midday hours. I don't think the crew might want to put it out during rush hours since the train might backfire and put a hell of a mess if it does.

The crew certainly doesn't get to decide when they want to take a train out!

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1238480

Now (according to him) it's late August-September for the start date of R188 Service... 

... I'm still looking out tomorrow.

Everyone is saying something different... this is the R160s (which I barely remember) all over again. I'll be heading out as well, if this one isn't true I'm also hearing August 1st, and if that doesn't happen then I guess late August it is.

Well I'll say it again especially since I'm as close to being in the know as most will get. There will be no R188 in service today or tomorrow. Crews are still getting familiarization training and until that's done don't look for it in service.

The R62A assignments have nothing to do with when R188s go into service on the 7 line. They have everything to do with when Westchester sends another 10 car train back to Yonkers for R188 conversion. As that happens Corona sends something to Westchester, 240th may or may not send something on loan to Corona so the Flushing Line does not end up with a car shortage and so they can use compatible equipment (R62A) and Livonia or Lenox will send something on loan to 240th.

Now the paragraph above was the plan to stem the shortage tied but as the brand new deliveries arrive at Corona 240th and Livonia/Lenox can start to take their pieces back.

A car and C car linked up.07/30/13995953_489994431087517_365641028_n.jpg

That's the set being used for crew training.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I did hear the train was signed up as a (7) in the yard earlier.

At this time it wasn't signed up as anything.A friend of mine was there around 7pm and said that the train wasn't there....This was taken around 8;30..So where did it appear from?

Everyone is saying something different... this is the R160s (which I barely remember) all over again. I'll be heading out as well, if this one isn't true I'm also hearing August 1st, and if that doesn't happen then I guess late August it is.

Who is "everyone"? Either this guy is trying to fool us or someone else successfully fooled him. Nothing's happening on August 1 either. Go out and enjoy the weather, if you like, but you're not going to be riding an R188 in service.

A car and C car linked up.07/30/13995953_489994431087517_365641028_n.jpg

At this time it wasn't signed up as anything.A friend of mine was there around 7pm and said that the train wasn't there....This was taken around 8;30..So where did it appear from?

Trains have wheels. They can move. What's the question?

o

Who is "everyone"? Either this guy is trying to fool us or someone else successfully fooled him. Nothing's happening on August 1 either. Go out and enjoy the weather, if you like, but you're not going to be riding an R188 in service.  Trains have wheels. They can move. What's the question?

Lmaoo

Boy, this thread suddenly got very quiet. So, how did the hunting go today?  :rolleyes:

LMAO you already know the answer to that.

As for everyone else patience grasshoppers. There's a backlog on foam.

Question are the R62As on the (6) eventually gonna have strip maps like the (1) or will they keep it without them ?

Yes at some point but that's the least of anyone's concerns right now. That will become more of a priority as a lot more of the cars arrive at Westchester. Until then it's not really a concern.