Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

It's worth mentioning that ENY has more trains (R42, R143 and R160) than 207th (which maintains the R32). I don't know where you're getting your sources about the breakdowns and deferred maintenance from, but I hope you're not simply just basing it on the way you're riding the train. I also hope someone else can provide more info instead, at least someone who knows what goes on at either barn and actually works there at the same time. That'll be alot better for me IMO. Of course, as everyone already knows, the R32s can only do around 50,000 miles (which is their current average distance) without breaking down.

Edited by RollOver

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, only 2 sets on the (J) don't break down *as often* as those on the (C), because those 2 sets on the (J) aren't always in service full-time.. 

I don't know where you're getting your sources about the breakdowns and deferred maintenance from, but I hope you're not simply just basing it on the way you're riding the train.

You got your answer from your own post about the breakdowns. The sets on the (J) don't run ALL day as they do on the (C). I mean the more you use something the more it breaks down right whether its a pair of shoes or machinery.  Also maintaining less equipment is more efficient. 

You got your answer from your own post about the breakdowns. The sets on the (J) don't run ALL day as they do on the (C). I mean the more you use something the more it breaks down right whether its a pair of shoes or machinery.  Also maintaining less equipment is more efficient. 

Except late nights when the (C) doesn't run LOL.

It's worth mentioning that ENY has more trains (R42, R143 and R160) than 207th (which maintains the R32). I don't know where you're getting your sources about the breakdowns and deferred maintenance from, but I hope you're not simply just basing it on the way you're riding the train. I also hope someone else can provide more info instead, at least someone who knows what goes on at either barn and actually works there at the same time. That'll be alot better for me IMO. Of course, as everyone already knows, the R32s can only do around 50,000 miles (which is their current average distance) without breaking down.

the R32s are well maintained in east new yard IMO east new york yard is one the best yards we have out there even their R42s run pretty decently

Except late nights when the (C) doesn't run LOL.

The (C) runs from about 5am-11pm on a consistent schedule, whereas if 32's are on the (Z) they could be running from 7am-9am then 5-7pm so there is more time to maintain and less equipment maintained supposing most (Z)'s go OOS, compared to the (C).

Wait, I think I kinda get what you and R32 3838 are both actually trying to say now. Obviously, yeah, the (C) runs 18 trains all day from 6 am to 11 pm. And yeah, it does have about 58 cars on standby as spares. Whereas, two 8-car trains and four sets of cars are on the (J) / (Z). And yes, as I said previously, the (C) is an all day line whereas the two R32 sets are much less out on the (J) / (Z). So yes, at night, about half of the (C) trains get stored at Piktin and the other half gets stored at 207. However, Pitkin only stores (C) trains there and not maintain there at all. As for 207, some are in the shop for maintenance and the others are stored out in the yard. So yes, not all (C) trains are dealt with at night for all the reasons that I've just mentioned.

Okay, all good now. I see.

Edited by RollOver

atleast 1 set of R32's run on the (J) all day during the week, its not always on the (Z), one day 2 sets can run all day, one day 1 set could run all day while one is a put in, sometimes both sets will run on the (Z), its a cycle, on most weekends they'll run a set or two and sometimes they keep both sets in the yard, so basiclly it comes out at random

now i wouldn't be surprised after this summer, the (C) would keep some R160's, im hearing they might keep most (Im hoping that doesn't happen) its better to be 50/50

atleast 1 set of R32's run on the (J) all day during the week, its not always on the (Z), one day 2 sets can run all day, one day 1 set could run all day while one is a put in, sometimes both sets will run on the (Z), its a cycle, on most weekends they'll run a set or two and sometimes they keep both sets in the yard, so basiclly it comes out at random

now i wouldn't be surprised after this summer, the (C) would keep some R160's, im hearing they might keep most (Im hoping that doesn't happen) its better to be 50/50

If 207th Street are finally able to maintain the 160s, fine. If they still can't, then I don't see why should they still pay the train crews to switch both the 32s and the 160s back and fourth to/from their respective shops that are capable of servicing them (therefore, increasing or decreasing the (C)(J) swap left and right). The only good thing is that it's an 8 car for 8 car swap and the (J) is mostly outdoors.

We been through this enough already.

Edited by RollOver

If 207th Street are finally able to maintain the 160s, fine. If they still can't, then I don't see why should they still pay the train crews to switch both the 32s and the 160s back and fourth to/from their respective shops that are capable of servicing them (therefore, increasing or decreasing the (C)(J) swap left and right). The only good thing is that it's an 8 car for 8 car swap and the (J) is mostly outdoors.

We been through this enough already.

207 st yard will maintain thir R160s better than their R32s since the R160s are newer and the R r32 on the (J)/(Z) will run with at least some decency

The word I've been hearing from the 207 yardmasters (who themselves don't know the whole story, but this is what they've been hearing) is that we'll do one more swap this summer, and then 207 Yard is going to be getting the proper resources to maintain the 160's (as well as getting ready for the similar 179's) and any 160's sent over here will stay year round.

The word I've been hearing from the 207 yardmasters (who themselves don't know the whole story, but this is what they've been hearing) is that we'll do one more swap this summer, and then 207 Yard is going to be getting the proper resources to maintain the 160's (as well as getting ready for the similar 179's) and any 160's sent over here will stay year round.

Now that's not surprising when you think about it. That yard has to be upgraded for 179s sooner rather than later, because unless something changes dramatically in the coming months, those new cars should be arriving at the end of this year or the beginning of next year.

Echoing earlier comments on the 32s, specifically those on the J/Z, those cars are not the main workhorses of the line. The 160s make up the majority of the line's fleet and the 32s and 42s are rotated in and out as needed. That's not the case on the C obviously as those are the only cars available for that line.

why? The R32s breakdown the most on the (C). Why would they keep the m on the (C) because they want to 207 st yard probably wants as much R160s as they can get for the (C)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A large group of ENY R160's are starting to be in order mainly the late 8400's to 8500's on the (M) and from what i heard from a ta source the swap should start ether next week or the week after next, they normally don't have the R160's in numeral order like this last year they sent any set except 8313-76

Now that it was previously confirmed that 207th Street shop is eventually getting an upgrade (and getting the proper resources to maintain any R160A-1s sent to them), it's most likely that the swap will surely be permanent.