Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait so In order to save the air conditioning units on the R32's, some R160's on the (J) are getting sent to the (C) and some R32's are getting sent to the (J)?

This has been happening for two years (3 including this year) during the summer and yes, this is to let the R32s not use their air conditioning while underground.

So the fleet swap is permanent this time, the R32's will stay on the (J) till they die, the R160's are getting temporarily sent to the (C) until the R179's come, and the R160's will get sent back to the (J).

Any chance a R160 will run on the (A)? And does anyone know when the first R160 is due on the (C)?

I always wonder why they never make the (C) a 100 percent 160 during these summer swaps, I'm sure they could send 18 sets of 160s to the (C) without dipping into the (L) & (M) line fleets.

Softly speaking, we talked about this many times already: 207th Street shop's inability to maintain/inspect any NTTs in the previous 2 years. Why do you think both the R32s and R160A-1s (when not in service) were transfered back and fourth to/from their respective shops during the (C)(J) summer swap?

Anyway, that's mute now. Look at the link below:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/44950-r32-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/?p=828186

Edited by RollOver

[quo.100%e=%train fan22" pos should takt="832831" timestamp="1432325684]

I always wonder why they never make the (C) a 100 percent 160 during these summer swaps, I'm sure they could send 18 sets of 160s to the (C) without dipping into the (L) & (M) line fleets.

yeah I agree during the summer they should make the (C) fleet entirely R160s they should take some sets from the (M) and put some R32s on that line you can't put the R32s on the (L) since it is already CBTC Edited by R3216068E

yeah I agree during the summer they should make the (C) fleet entirely R160s they should take some sets from the (M) and put some R32s on that line you can't put the R32s on the (L) since it is already CBTC

The problem with R32s on the (M) is that 1. there is no orange bullet (M) and will likely not be one because of their age and 2. Metropolitan Avenue can't be shown as a "southern terminal" on rollsigns.

The problem with R32s on the (M) is that 1. there is no orange bullet (M) and will likely not be one because of their age and 2. Metropolitan Avenue can't be shown as a "southern terminal" on rollsigns.

Another big problem is the OPTO  (M)  service when it starts. R32s are not suitable for OPTO service. 

Like I said above, R32s can't be used on the (M) and (L) for reasons pointed out. And even if the (J) and (Z) become 100% R32s and R42s, there would still be leftover R32s on the (C).

Another big problem is the OPTO (M) service when it starts. R32s are not suitable for OPTO service.

I'm pretty sure that if the (M) somehow gets R32s, there would still be leftover R160s for OPTO service.

Like I said above, R32s can't be used on the (M) and (L) for reasons pointed out. And even if the (J) and (Z) become 100% R32s and R42s, there would still be leftover R32s on the (C).

I know why they can't be used on the (L) but why not the (M) they can create an orange (M) bullet and have the R32s run late at midnight as the (M) shuttle or off peak hours

I know why they can't be used on the (L) but why not the (M) they can create an orange (M) bullet and have the R32s run late at midnight as the (M) shuttle or off peak hours

I'll say it again:

And if the R32s are getting retired, what's the point of making more signs for them?

Of course the MTA can run them on the (M). They just have to prep them up for (M) service. The real question is: will they? - and the answer to that, as some posters have pointed out already, is no. They are over 50 years old, and the MTA is making the move to replace the entire fleet. They have already put some money into extending their life until their replacement arrives, and they are not going to spend more money to add new rollsign text when that money could be used for more important things, such as fixing up old/vandalized signs in stations/station entrances. It's just a waste of money. If you have an old Playstation that is occasionally breaking down and you coughed up enough money to replace it with a Playstation 4, are you going to spruce up your old Playstation when money is hard to come by? It's the same concept here. You might argue that the cost is very small but it is still something the MTA has to pay for, and the cost will add up since the MTA is dealing with a lot of equipment as opposed to just one car.

They can run on the (M), the only cars that can't run on the (M) are the R42's, due to the c/r position

They'll probably keep the regular (M) signage and just put 71st as the north and special in the middle and the other set of signs they could put metropolitan on top and special on the bottom

And the R32's can be in the 4x4 configuration