Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Of course the MTA can run them on the (M). They just have to prep them up for (M) service. The real question is: will they? - and the answer to that, as some posters have pointed out already, is no. They are over 50 years old, and the MTA is making the move to replace the entire fleet. They have already put some money into extending their life until their replacement arrives, and they are not going to spend more money to add new rollsign text when that money could be used for more important things, such as fixing up old/vandalized signs in stations/station entrances. It's just a waste of money. If you have an old Playstation that is occasionally breaking down and you coughed up enough money to replace it with a Playstation 4, are you going to spruce up your old Playstation when money is hard to come by? It's the same concept here. You might argue that the cost is very small but it is still something the MTA has to pay for, and the cost will add up since the MTA is dealing with a lot of equipment as opposed to just one car.

That does make sense I'm just wondering why do they only go to the (J) you can't treat the (J) like it's a part time line you have to put sum R32s on at least the (M) shuttle at night so they can get some rest

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That does make sense I'm just wondering why do they only go to the (J) you can't treat the (J) like it's a part time line you have to put sum R32s on at least the (M) shuttle at night so they can get some rest

Why are you making a big deal about it? It's just a train, not a human being. So what if the (J) is a full-time line? And so what if the R32s are the oldest cars in the system? The (J) is generally mixed of R32s, R42s, and R160s. The train crews don't always get the same train everyday. Plus, every line in the system has spare trains. It also depends on the scheduled wait times and the amount of trainsets running as well as the total amount trainsets each line has as a whole. I recommend that you should study these things like I always do, before jumping to conclusions. The R32s and R42s can't run on the weekend (M) because they can't provide OPTO.

The R46s are the second oldest cars in the system (not counting the R42s), yet provide full-time service on the system's longest subway line - the (A). Nobody cares because it's just a train. A train is a train. I've learn that the hard way. No need to worry about it.

Edited by RollOver

Why are you making a big deal about it? It's just a train, not a human being. So what if the (J) is a full-time line? And so what if the R32s are the oldest cars in the system? The (J) is generally mixed of R32s, R42s, and R160s. The train crews don't always get the same train everyday. Plus, every line in the system has spare trains. It also depends on the scheduled wait times and the amount of trainsets running as well as the total amount trainsets each line has as a whole. I recommend that you should study these things like I always do, before jumping to conclusions. The R32s and R42s can't run on the weekend (M) because they can't provide OPTO.

The R46s are the second oldest cars in the system (not counting the R42s), yet provide full-time service on the system's longest subway line - the (A). Nobody cares because it's just a train. A train is a train. I've learn that the hard way. No need to worry about it.

I'm not making a big deal about it and I'm not saying that the R32s can't handle the (J) I'm just saying out of all the east new york yard routes the (J) gets treated like a part time line I'm on an R42 (J) the other day we get to myrtle ave bway first and the (M) comes a couple minutes late and gets to leave first why? Edited by R3216068E

I'll say it again:

And if the R32s are getting retired, what's the point of making more signs for them?

they can use the original brown (M) logo for the R32s they can just throw it on there look at the R143 that ran on the (M) they had the (L) strip map inside the train and people still knew it was the (M) train

I'm not making a big deal about it and I'm not saying that the R32s can't handle the (J) I'm just saying out of all the east new york yard routes the (J) gets treated like a part time line I'm on an R42 (J) the other day we get to myrtle ave bway first and the (M) comes a couple minutes late and gets to leave first why?

Most likely the (M) that you met at Myrtle was scheduled to leave before your train. Remember, it's about scheduling. Edited by S78 via Hylan

they can use the original brown (M) logo for the R32s they can just throw it on there look at the R143 that ran on the (M) they had the (L) strip map inside the train and people still knew it was the (M) train

True that, but I seriously doubt that R32s would even run on the (M) because of the amount of work needed to be done on R32s.

If it wasn't for the R32s being 50 years old, I would say it isn't impossible, but the R179s are likely gonna arrive this year, killing the last of the R42s and some of the R32s.

But that's enough from me. Carry on.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Then if need be sign em up 71st-Myrtle

This issue is blown out of proportion.

I was thinking of that before back in 2013

But I'm gonna give my opinion on this whole thing

Now let's say half of the R32 fleet stays at ENY, about 80-94 cars, 88 cars is 11 sets plus 6 cars for spares

The (J) would be mostly SMEE's with very few R160's, this would make people from Jamaica complain, (I know the history of these people, they complained like hell about the (E) in the past), to avoid that it would be smart to run at least 3-6 sets on the (M) to balance out the fleet, so this way during the midnight hours most the R32's would be laid up, you can run R32's on the (M) shuttle during the week only, this way the (J) wouldn't be dumped with all the old stuff and everyone would be happy

True that, but I seriously doubt that R32s would even run on the (M) because of the amount of work needed to be done on R32s.

If it wasn't for the R32s being 50 years old, I would say it isn't impossible, but the R179s are likely gonna arrive this year, killing the last of the R42s and some of the R32s.

They run fine, in fact they have less issues on the J vs the C, when you had the 2 sets at ENY, they barely had issues

And you got awhile for the R32's, there's no set retirement date yet, as for the R42's they'll be gone within a year and a half

The R179's have to go through testing and etc. First before the they hit actual service and the delivery of production cars coming in

I'm just saying it would be nice to see an R32 on queens blvd line again before they make queens blvd line CBTC

They run fine, in fact they have less issues on the J vs the C, when you had the 2 sets at ENY, they barely had issues

And you got awhile for the R32's, there's no set retirement date yet, as for the R42's they'll be gone within a year and a half

The R179's have to go through testing and etc. First before the they hit actual service and the delivery of production cars coming in

Yeah that's the (J), not the (M). One of the other reasons R32s work better on the (J) then the (C) is because the (J) is mostly outdoors and can give the cars fresh air while if it was on the (C), it would almost never see daylight and breakdown more often.

On the (M), the R32s would not break down as often as the (C), but I don't see it working as well as the (J) either. But is there are like one or two sets for the (M), maybe the R32s would be fine. But personally, I really don't see the R32s operating on the (M), even if it would take YEARS for all R32s to retire.

I'm just saying it would be nice to see an R32 on queens blvd line again before they make queens blvd line CBTC

I agree it would be nice for R32s to go elsewhere again. Again I an not really feeling it with them and unless somehow the (C) is 100% R160 this summer, I don't really see the cars on the (M).

The (M) runs less than the (J), last night the (J) ran mostly R42's and R32 with only 2 R160's during the overnight, the R32's on the (J) in the summer as well as the R42's run 24/7 due to it being mostly SMEE's plus if they split them between the (J) and (M), the (J) and (Z) would be more flexible, with the (J) and (Z) being 80% SMEEs it becomes a pain in the ass during the rush hours when it comes to changing signs, with the R160's you don't have to worry about that

The (J) would be mostly SMEE's with very few R160's, this would make people from Jamaica complain, (I know the history of these people, they complained like hell about the (E) in the past)

So? Remember you once said back in 2013 that it's all about making service? Well, yeah. That's the only thing that matters. As long as all trains and buses are running as scheduled, I can't think of anything else more than that.

Edited by RollOver

Not for nothing, but I think people play the "riders don't like old cars" bit way too much around here. Last I checked, the subway is still mass transit, not personal transit. If some riders don't like that particular detail, that's their problem. The MTA isn't going to put the 32s on the M and it has absolutely nothing to do with signage. The entire purpose of the 32/160 swap every summer is to allow the HVACs on the 32s to breathe in the open air. The M-line is a primarily underground route, only spending around 30 minutes of its travel time outside, which makes a C/M swap counterproductive. It's part of the reason why the A/C swap was done away with a few years ago.

Not for nothing, but I think people play the "riders don't like old cars" bit way too much around here. Last I checked, the subway is still mass transit, not personal transit. If some riders don't like that particular detail, that's their problem. The MTA isn't going to put the 32s on the M and it has absolutely nothing to do with signage. The entire purpose of the 32/160 swap every summer is to allow the HVACs on the 32s to breathe in the open air. The M-line is a primarily underground route, only spending around 30 minutes of its travel time outside, which makes a C/M swap counterproductive. It's part of the reason why the A/C swap was done away with a few years ago.

Not only that but they fail to realize the reason they don't run on the (M) because of weekend OPTO service and if the R32s gets stuck in that section, it will screw service up.

Yep I may have been late with this but this is what I was trying to say here. The (M) can't see R32s because of OPTO and for the "air" needed for them.

I said if they keep em not if they're borrowing them, back in 2010 when the (V) was getting cut, the 26 R32's were gonna run on the new (M) service back then, but that was shot down and Jamaica sent them to 207th instead, in 2013 it almost happened, one of my friends was a C/R and they were giving station by station cards and he told me the reason

If they really wanted to, they can run a few of them (3-4) sets on the (M) if they needed it, and how would it get mixed up for opto service if you're only running 3-4 sets they can be easily laid up after the rush hour, the (M) is only opto during the weekends and there's plenty of R160's on it

As for the bicthing part, southeast queens do have strong political pull but IMO I doubt they'll give a shit, but you do have few that would complain anyway

I'm saying all of this if the R32's are permanently staying at ENY depending on the amount of cars

And no one is saying throw all the R32's on the (M), if you guys read what I wrote then you'll understand

Edited by R32 3838

Yep I may have been late with this but this is what I was trying to say here. The (M) can't see R32s because of OPTO and for the "air" needed for them.

yeah the (M) ridership has been growing like crazy ever since it has been rerouted so it's getting to a point where it needs some high performing subway cars the MTA even called for an extension of the (M) last year

Not only that but they fail to realize the reason they don't run on the (M) because of weekend OPTO service and if the R32s gets stuck in that section, it will screw service up.

they can run R32s in OPTO service on weekends on the (M) its on four cars and the line is short this way on weekends you can put the R160s from the (M) on the (J) and throw some R160s to stay on the (C) permentaly

The 32s can't run OPTO cause they don't have full width cabs...

Yeah, the 32s and 42s are married pairs and both ends of the train (whether it's 4-cars, 6-cars, 8-cars or 10-cars) don't have C/R controls, just only T/O controls. In the 44s and all other cars built afterwards are in "proper" sets (with full width cabs as you stated) and also have both T/O and C/R controls at both the ends of the train and the middle of the train, which makes it successfully easier for OPTO service via short trains if necessary.

Edited by RollOver

they were able to run out on the (S) rockaway park without any problems why not the (M) shuttle and the width of the cabs are just fine for OPTO

Dude, did you even read my post above yours? I'll say this again...If the 32s, 38s, 40s, and 42s run as 4-cars, 6-cars, 8-cars or 10-cars, the C/R controls are only located in the middle (32s and 38s) or the blind faces (40s and 42s). For both the front and ends of a 32 or a 38, (if running as 4-cars, 6-cars, 8-cars, or 10-cars), it's only T/O controls. And for the non-blind faces of the 40s and 42s, however, it's also only T/O controls. Almost all other cars today (except for the single sets in the 62A fleet) are in "proper" sets (with full-width cabs as trainfan22 stated) and therefore, both the front, end and middle, where they have controls for the T/O and also, for the C/R, which means One Person Train Operation service via short trains if necessary.

If you really want to make your own ideas about the subway system here in New York City, then post any of your own ideas in the Proposal Thread. I really don't understand why you keep on continuing this conversation about wanting the 32s to go on the weekend four-car  (M) (or the regular full line or whatever)...this has been beaten to death many, many times already...

Edited by RollOver

Yeah, the 32s and 42s are married pairs and both ends of the train (whether it's 4-cars, 6-cars, 8-cars or 10-cars) don't have C/R controls, just only T/O controls. In the 44s and all other cars built afterwards are in "proper" sets (with full width cabs as you stated) and also have both T/O and C/R controls at both the ends of the train and the middle of the train, which makes it successfully easier for OPTO service via short trains if necessary.

The R32s have C/R controls in all cabs. How do you think they operate on the (C).

OPTO ain't gonna work with the cars regardless. Let's say hypothetically, by some act of whatever deity you believe in it happens. T/O sits on the right side facing forward. What about the stations with the platforms on the left side? T/O would have to walk back to the other end of the car just to open the doors.

Very counterproductive