Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Back to topic as R160s on the R has nothing to do with the title of this thread.

I can't understand why there are only 140 out of the 222 in service on the A. Only two sets of R32s could be used for work service while 220 out of the 222 can operate on the A. There are enough R32s to run on the A alongside the 176 R46. Why does East New York Yard even bother to give 20 cars of R42s to Pitkin Yard for the A?.... ._. This is just my opinion.

They can't run every single R32 in service, they need spare cars on standby.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are things wrong with most consists, with R46 they must stay out there on the road if its not a safety issue because of the size of the consist (half the train is a lot and they don't have nearly the amount of standby cars), but with R32's they can just swap out a pair when they layup for the night (if they in fact layup in an actual yard).

The R46's run like shit on the (A), the R46's are unreliable and overused, thats why they have had problems, ever since the R32's popped up on the (A) the (A) has been much better, and the (C) is better with the R46's, BTW ANOTHER R42 was sent BACK to ENY, that Leaves 1 Trainset

The R46's run like shit on the (A), the R46's are unreliable and overused, thats why they have had problems

Well, the R32s are doing better because they're just having SMS...Remember last year, when the R32s had a MDBF of 56,000 or something?

ever since the R32's popped up on the (A) the (A) has been much better

What in the world are you judging that based on?

the (C) is better with the R46's

How will the (C) line make the "unreliable" R46s run ANY BETTER???

It looks like somebody here just enjoys riding old rickety trains on the (A)...

The R46's run like shit on the (A), the R46's are unreliable and overused, thats why they have had problems, ever since the R32's popped up on the (A) the (A) has been much better, and the (C) is better with the R46's, BTW ANOTHER R42 was sent BACK to ENY, that Leaves 1 Trainset

Yep I seen that set yesterday at ENY still signed up as a (A)

Personally, I think things should remain the way they are year round, not from a foamers perspective, but from the point that the (C) gets full length trains.

Exactly. This setup works, so why not keep it the way it is? The only problem I see is R32's running during storm hours, but then all you would have to do anticipate bad weather and do a quick temporary assignment swap for several days as the storm blows over, then swap back.... But of course the MTA would be too lazy to ever do that.

@ the subway station, the R32s are 10 time more reliable than the R46s, even before the SMS they ran better than the R46s, the R46s are overused subway cars, the ones at jamaica perform better than the ones on the A, before the R32s made its return to the A the A always had equipment problems, this is why I think they should have fixed that problem and put the R160s on the A, the R46s are better for the C due to the fact they don't run as much, the R46s don't do well on the A, they run like shit, last year in the summertime they ran 6-8 R32s during the overnight hours, this year I counted 3-4 during the overnight, it is what it is, so instead of being mr know it all, listen to the facts on why I just said what I said

@ the subway station, the R32s are 10 time more reliable than the R46s, even before the SMS they ran better than the R46s, the R46s are overused subway cars, the ones at jamaica perform better than the ones on the A, before the R32s made its return to the A the A always had equipment problems, this is why I think they should have fixed that problem and put the R160s on the A, the R46s are better for the C due to the fact they don't run as much, the R46s don't do well on the A, they run like shit, last year in the summertime they ran 6-8 R32s during the overnight hours, this year I counted 3-4 during the overnight, it is what it is, so instead of being mr know it all, listen to the facts on why I just said what I said

Yeah, right. Do you want to see the facts?

http://i45.tinypic.com/k48roj.jpg

Yes, the R32s are currently doing slightly better than the R46s. It shows how well built the R32s were, considering that they're doing this well for their age. But there's nothing to suggest that the R46s are doing particularly badly. Your statement is supported by no evidence, which is what makes me think that you just like the R32s better.

I rode the R32s today (yes I'm in New York City). I was in car 3658. The cars rode nicely although I'd expect the R46s to ride equally the same. Well I'll find out when I decide to ride the A again. Oh and I did saw an R42 set on the A while on the R32s.

Yeah, right. Do you want to see the facts?

http://i45.tinypic.com/k48roj.jpg

Yes, the R32s are currently doing slightly better than the R46s. It shows how well built the R32s were, considering that they're doing this well for their age. But there's nothing to suggest that the R46s are doing particularly badly. Your statement is supported by no evidence, which is what makes me think that you just like the R32s better.

Do you ride the (A) train on a daily basis, I know because when I used to ride the (C) train during the day, (A) service be jacked Up due TO EQUIPMENT PROBLEMS!!! , when they send (C)'s to lefferts and Far Rock, thats because of a stalled train, back then the (A) was 100% R46's, the R46's are overused trains, I ride the R46's on the (A) and they run and should like shit, I ride the R46's on the (F)/® lines they run Much better, and Im always gonna say this the (A) needs R160's , that power issue can be fixed, don't get me wrong sometimes the R32's have issues too on the (A) but not as much as the R46's,if the (A) had the R160's with R32's or R46's the (A) wouldn't be a problem, ever since the R46's became a household on the (A) they drop like flies, have dead motors and brake problems, so I'm telling you how i see this with my own two eyes and trust me plenty of people who work the (A) line can agree, the R46's aren't doing well as everyone thought it would, it has nothing to do with me liking the R32's, People need to see the facts, The R32's have Always been more reliable than the R46's, the R46's have been though 2 Major SMS's already in 2003-04, and late 2008-2010, the R32's have had one Major SMS in 2001-04 (floor replacement, Truck work , HVAC work and etc.) SMS,2006-7 (truck work Phase I's only) and 2011-12 (truck and HVAC work as well as door work)

Edited by R32 3838

It makes absolutely no sense that the (F) line, which is arguably busier and more demanding than the (A) line, would make the R46s run better. Why do you say that the R46s are overused on the (A) line when the (A) runs less frequently than the (F)? Yes, I know that the R46 has a history of problems and the R32s are very solidly built trains, but your "facts" contradict the MDBF numbers over the past year.

By the way, I can't remember the last time a (C) was sent to Lefferts or Far Rockaway; I'm not going to believe you that it happens often unless someone else can provide more information.

I've rode the A for over 20 years. Charlies being sent to Lefferts or the Rock due to equipment problems have always happened with every fleet they've ran. It's also happened due to police activity, passenger injury, etc....

Those situations don't state how often a type of car brakes down......

MDBF stats do.

Guest Lance

Personally, I think things should remain the way they are year round, not from a foamers perspective, but from the point that the (C) gets full length trains.

The only problem prohibiting this current setup for the (A) and (C) is the fact that this swap eats into the spare factor for every B Division yard except Coney Island and Concourse. It'd be fine if Pitkin had enough cars for both the (A) and (C). It doesn't though, so when the (C) uses the (A) line's R46s, the (A) has to pull some R46s out of Jamaica and, until recently, a few R42s out of East New York. When the swap isn't in place, this problem doesn't come up. It is nice that the (C) uses full length trains and it would be nice if it was like that year round, but there just aren't enough cars for this right now.

The only problem prohibiting this current setup for the (A) and (C) is the fact that this swap eats into the spare factor for every B Division yard except Coney Island and Concourse. It'd be fine if Pitkin had enough cars for both the (A) and (C). It doesn't though, so when the (C) uses the (A) line's R46s, the (A) has to pull some R46s out of Jamaica and, until recently, a few R42s out of East New York. When the swap isn't in place, this problem doesn't come up. It is nice that the (C) uses full length trains and it would be nice if it was like that year round, but there just aren't enough cars for this right now.

ENY is handling it, and so is Jamaica. It is possible.

actually there's 2 sets again. Saw them both at 59th Street.

they swapped that set, they sent a bad set back to ENY and ENY sent another R42 set back to 207th, so yes theres 2 sets again

Edited by R32 3838

file:///D:/Michael/My%20Pictures/NYC%20MTA%20Subway/Copy%20of%20NYC%20MTA%20Subway%20013.jpg

i even met another railfan taking pics of it. Car 4807

file:///D:/Michael/My%20Pictures/NYC%20MTA%20Subway/Copy%20of%20NYC%20MTA%20Subway%20012.jpg

i also got this odd one lol. Car 4820

(this is my first time posting pics srry i dont really know how to do it)