Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got on an R42 yesterday, which went out of service at 207th Street. I saw the other R42 set while on a train of R32s heading to Lefferts Blvd. It was sad to see them in the condition they were in. 12 years ago they didn't look like crap as they looked shiney and sleek.

file:///D:/Michael/My%20Pictures/NYC%20MTA%20Subway/Copy%20of%20NYC%20MTA%20Subway%20013.jpg

i even met another railfan taking pics of it. Car 4807

file:///D:/Michael/My%20Pictures/NYC%20MTA%20Subway/Copy%20of%20NYC%20MTA%20Subway%20012.jpg

i also got this odd one lol. Car 4820

(this is my first time posting pics srry i dont really know how to do it)

Is this your first time on the internet?

Get Photobucket. Post the IMG tag next to your picture.

Besides the R160's coming in why were most the R32's retired as well with all the R40's. The MTA knew for years that those R44's were going to have problems. A lot of those R32 were good when I rode them. This is basically the same problem like the L Train and the R143's. They thought service was going to remain the same and then they need more. I don't think the R160's were suppose to go to the L. The MTA better order enough R179's so that they can have spares and problems like this won't be as bad as it is now. Those R42's were done in 2009-2010 and they weren't expected to perform any longer but when those R44's started having problems they had no choice. By the way are there any more R44's left at all excluding SIR.

Besides the R160's coming in why were most the R32's retired as well with all the R40's. The MTA knew for years that those R44's were going to have problems. A lot of those R32 were good when I rode them. This is basically the same problem like the L Train and the R143's. They thought service was going to remain the same and then they need more. I don't think the R160's were suppose to go to the L. The MTA better order enough R179's so that they can have spares and problems like this won't be as bad as it is now. Those R42's were done in 2009-2010 and they weren't expected to perform any longer but when those R44's started having problems they had no choice. By the way are there any more R44's left at all excluding SIR.

AFAIK, there are still a couple sitting dead in storage awaiting scrap.

Guest Lance

1) All of the SMEE fleet below the R44s were to be retired and replaced by the R160s because the R32s through R42s were getting up there in age and their MDBFs were not that good to keep them around. And, rather than make several small car class orders to replace each class individually, it was determined to be a better idea to replace them all in bulk.

2) The R44 structuaral problems were pretty much a sudden event, making itself known in early 2010. By that point, the entirety of the R38s and the R40s (both slant and modified) were both retired and a huge chunk of the R32s and R42s were also gone.

3) The original plan for the (L) line was that the R143s would be only cars on that line. When it was determined that the R143 cars wouldn't be enough to meet ridership demands, R160s were also put onto the Canarsie line. And, unless the (MTA) decides to order more R143s (not happening), the line will remain a mixture of R143s and R160s for quite some time.

I'm glad someone brought up the R44s. I did hear only 60 of the R44s were deemed to have structural failures. Not the entire fleet. I have reason to believe the TA removed the whole fleet from service because of that fact or it was a major mistake that we can only hope will not be repeated. Erriely almost very similair to the R27/30s not having A/C when they were retired between 1989-1993. Had the TA kept the SMS R44s and disposed of the remaining R44s with structural probelms, let's just say this thread wouldn't have existed to begin with. Only 144 trains are needed for the C line. There was 172 R44s that had recieved the SMS, which would have been enough for the C line. Plus if the TA SMS'd the 40 other R44s that didn't have structural issues there would be 212 rehabbed R44s and 60 R44s that were going to be scrapped. As for where I got this idea, well start reading folks.

http://www.subchat.c...?Id=1158470&p=1

That's all I have to say on that issue. Now everyone knows the truth on what really happened to the R44s.

Edited by MC CJ

Guest Lance

Yeah, I saw that post earlier this month and you're right. This problem wouldn't exist if the higher ups in the brass weren't so damn fast in disposing the R44s. What can you do though?

The R44's needed to go point blank, I rode em, they bodies were shot, the SIRT ones also need to go, Ive seen a picture of the R44's frame, It had NO FRAME LEFT due to rotting, the (MTA) made the right choice sending the whole fleet bye-bye, as for the R42's its Unknown what they are gonna do with em, I keep hearing they want them gone by the time the R32 SMS is complete, To me that wouldn't be a smart move, if there is talk of extending the (J), unless that ideas is thrown out , if they need a train they would use a 10 car R32 or R42 for the (C) and they would put a paper in the T/O cab stating this is a 10 CAR train until they lay it up after a round trip.

That's why they're not going to get scrapped...

But those R42's are rusted like crazy sometimes they look like they just want to fall apart on the Liberty/Rockaway lines. But i hoped the MTA learned their lesson and hopefully plan things out well in advanced.

But those R42's are rusted like crazy sometimes they look like they just want to fall apart on the Liberty/Rockaway lines. But i hoped the MTA learned their lesson and hopefully plan things out well in advanced.

Why would rust on the surface of the train be a serious problem? The structure is fine, as far as we know. Just because they look like they're falling apart certainly doesn't mean that they are.