Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I had to go to Rockaway on Saturday, and I was lucky enough to catch an R42. What a ride that was! I was by the railfan window, and the train suddenly stopped by that small bridge between Howard Beach and Broad Channel. We were just stuck there and didn't move for at least 45 minutes. From what I could tell, the T/O couldn't communicate with the Conductor. The T/O left his booth and walked to the back of the train (to the conductor, I assume). While he was gone, someone decided to get out of the train and start walking to Broad Channel. Finally after over 45 minutes, the conductor got back and we started moving again. A few minutes later, I hear from the T/O's booth "What the f' is this n'er doing hitchhiking on the side of the tracks?" So we had to stop for another 10 minutes to get him back on the train. At Broad Channel, they took the train out of service, and the conductor said he was bringing the train into the shop.

Hopefully they'll keep the 42s. As bad as that ride was, I love that railfan window!

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would rust on the surface of the train be a serious problem? The structure is fine, as far as we know. Just because they look like they're falling apart certainly doesn't mean that they are.

The R42's need work, too bad the TA does not want to SMS them, hopefully that would change, but they look really horrible

The R44s were in horrendous condition prior to retirement and had major structural problems classwide (yes, 60 were substantially worse than the others).

The stupid political decision made was to keep the R44s around when these structural problems were known to exist as far back as 2004. They should have been the first fleet pulled with the R160 order.

The R44's needed to go point blank, I rode em, they bodies were shot, the SIRT ones also need to go, Ive seen a picture of the R44's frame, It had NO FRAME LEFT due to rotting, the (MTA) made the right choice sending the whole fleet bye-bye, as for the R42's its Unknown what they are gonna do with em, I keep hearing they want them gone by the time the R32 SMS is complete, To me that wouldn't be a smart move, if there is talk of extending the (J), unless that ideas is thrown out , if they need a train they would use a 10 car R32 or R42 for the (C) and they would put a paper in the T/O cab stating this is a 10 CAR train until they lay it up after a round trip.

A few bad apples in the R44 fleet doesn't mean the whole fleet is bad. It's just those particular cars.

Edited by MC CJ

What work do they need?

The R42s need the typical SMS mechanical work done, aside from the rust removal and the repaint, ie, reconditioned trucks and wheels, new suspension springs, etc.

I actually find it kinda hard to tell the SMSd 32s apart from the non-SMSd ones. I think it's because they didn't use the blue suspension springs on the trucks or something, a feature that I go looking for first when trying to determine how recently a car has gone through the program. Any help here, TwoTimer?

Edited by Fan Railer

I actually find it kinda hard to tell the SMSd 32s apart from the non-SMSd ones. I think it's because they didn't use the blue suspension springs on the trucks or something, a feature that I go looking for first when trying to determine how recently a car has gone through the program. Any help here, TwoTimer?

Yeah, I don't really know how to tell the difference either. If I get on an R32 with a nice and smooth ride and good, quiet brakes (same with R62s), I just assume it's an SMS car :).

The R42s need the typical SMS mechanical work done, aside from the rust removal and the repaint, ie, reconditioned trucks and wheels, new suspension springs, etc.

They don't have to use the blue suspension springs...some R62As are running around with yellow suspension springs.

They just do things to it that they should do every time they go in a barn for work. For instance, there are plenty of trains out there with dead motors but the light bulb doesn't show, and other things like that, and they continue to go up and down the road with no problem except inconsistent operational feel for T/O's. Unlike a car where most every time u go in a shop they check everything, the barn only goes and checks what actually was stated as being wrong (even if its just a glass being repaired or some lighting issues) and fixes that, and doesn't do a thorough check of all the systems in a revenue car.

Edited by TwoTimer

• 1 month later...