Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

There is one more thing i forgot to mention:

The R160s that are expected to be transferred to Jamaica Yard assumes that there will be an increase in spare factors for the yards. so not every R160 can get transferred until the R211s arrive and start running on the (N)(Q) and (W) lines. If the cars all get swapped now, you’d have to drastically cut service to Astoria (running only the (N) at its current headway’s) or close the 2 Av subway and reroute the (Q) back to Astoria. In other words, additional R160s must be kept in Astoria until the R211s arrive 

Exactly, the R46’s will run on the (A), the (C) , the (G) and Rockaway (S). After that you’ll have about 20 trains left over, and the (N) and (W) needs 35 trains. So, you’d either need 15 R68’s, or some combination of R68’s and R160’s. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/16/2017 at 10:07 AM, Dj Hammers said:

So far you’re the closest. More lines have R46s and less have R160s though.

Since we're sharing "proposed assignments" that could or will likely happen.

(A) :R32, R46 and R179 (as the (A)(C) will share fleets like the (2)(5) currently do)

(B) :R46, R68, R68A.

(C) :R32, R46 and R179 (600 feet long train, as the (A)(C) will share fleets like the (2)(5) currently do)

(D) : R68.

(E) : R160

(F) :R160

(G) :R68, R68A (8 cars trains 600ft)

(J)(Z) R160, R179

(L) R143, R160

(M) R160 R179

(N)(W) R46, R160

(Q) R46, R68

(R) R160

As the R32's from ENY will likely to back 207th and pitkin yards.

10 hours ago, R42N said:

Bill, I hate to tell you this, but it’s already practically confirmed that R32’s will run on the (G) line. Running them on the (B) and the (G), as has been said, means a good amount of above ground time, and they can all be maintained at Coney Island Shop. 

Also, I like to think that Astoria is becoming pretty hipster, and the Upper East Side is the most expensive neighborhood in North America, but that didn’t stop the (6) from getting R62a, or the (N) from getting R68, and the possibility of R46’s in the future. 

Irregardless of my position that the R32's will not be assigned to the Southern Division (CIYD) but lets say they do,, I must disagree with you that the B and G have a lot of above ground time for their air conditioning systems to function correctly.  Once the B goes underground at Prospect Park, and not counting the Manhattan Bridge where the structure blocks free movement of fresh air into the air conditioning system, the B will be underground for a long time, about 2 hours if the terminal is 145 and more than that if the train is going to Bedford Park.  Those cars will have air conditioning problems being underground for that long. 

They WILL have a major hot car problem on the G because the few minutes they are outside leaving Carroll St. and going back in leaving 4th Ave. will be insufficient time to cool them down.  When they are on the G, they do NOT have a good amount of above ground time at all.

Finally what does "practically confirmed " mean?  I can't think of his name, but you always refer to some guy who works downtown who gives out info about car assignments.  He actually gives hints, but not full facts.  That is because there are many people in the TA beauracracy who will discuss where cars will go during the L line closure.  They throw many different ideas around.  Their final decision is made when the assignments come out on an official NYCT document.

9 hours ago, Jemorie said:

I don't know why the Montague Street Tunnel was rebuilt like that, but if it weren't for that, we wouldn't even have all this talk about "no R32s on the (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R)(W) lines due to clearances issues in the Montague Street Tunnel" as I've been lurking through this threads as of late...

Because somebody screwed up!

10 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

If I had a dollar for all the times that the (B) has gone up Montague this decade, I'd have maybe...$4 or $5? When anything big happens on that line, it is almost always cancelled. Theoretically, sure, they COULD run the (B) on the Montague and Broadway (like they did in 2014). But the number of times that has actually happened is far outweighed by the times the (B) has been outright cancelled. It's an overblown and exagerated worry.

That's not the point it's almost always cancelled, because it is.  When the line is cancelled, the trains don't disappear automatically!  The finish their trips or get rerouted somewhere, some getting back to their terminals after the incident is over.

R32's are banned from the Montague Tunnel by Official Bulletin due to clearance issues, therefore theoretically they CANNOT run via the Montague and Broadway.

11 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

lol...Wont stand for old....What age are the r68s on the line 30 plus right..Certainly aint new either...Btw r32s  still operating on the (C) just fine which is a much longer 100% underground longer rt than the (G)....So bill where would you put the r32s once the L Shutdown...Love to hear it

A 30 year old car is younger than a 53 year old car!  And the R68/68A were the newest cars for many years till the R160's came out (not counting the R143's since they were exclusively for the L line and weekend M shuttle).  The C line does not have all R32's like in the past so they could spread out air conditioning misery a bit.  You claim the r32's on the C are operating just fine but they are still giving the crews and dispatchers fits in the summer due to air conditioning woes.

Finally, the R32's will go where transit decides where they will go when the official car assignments are released as R179's are released for service and the L tube closure.  They have said not all R32's will be saved, but those that are could be used on certain lines for one trip rush hours only.   Also the MDBF (mileage between failures) is the worst in the system for the R32's.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

33 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Irregardless of my position that the R32's will not be assigned to the Southern Division (CIYD) but lets say they do,, I must disagree with you that the B and G have a lot of above ground time for their air conditioning systems to function correctly.  Once the B goes underground at Prospect Park, and not counting the Manhattan Bridge where the structure blocks free movement of fresh air into the air conditioning system, the B will be underground for a long time, about 2 hours if the terminal is 145 and more than that if the train is going to Bedford Park.  Those cars will have air conditioning problems being underground for that long. 

They WILL have a major hot car problem on the G because the few minutes they are outside leaving Carroll St. and going back in leaving 4th Ave. will be insufficient time to cool them down.  When they are on the G, they do NOT have a good amount of above ground time at all.

Finally what does "practically confirmed " mean?  I can't think of his name, but you always refer to some guy who works downtown who gives out info about car assignments.  He actually gives hints, but not full facts.  That is because there are many people in the TA beauracracy who will discuss where cars will go during the L line closure.  They throw many different ideas around.  Their final decision is made when the assignments come out on an official NYCT document.

When a guy that has a foot in the door with the MTA says “enjoy the Railfan Window on the (B) and the (G)“, and the only railfan window left on the B Division other than the 42 is the 32, then it’s easy to put one and one together. 

Sure, there might be air conditioning issues, but a good amount of time in an outdoor yard and two sections of outdoor (remember, Prospect Pk isn’t the last time the (B) goes above ground, the Manhattan Bridge is) is way more than enough. It’s confirmed, and that’s that. 

6 minutes ago, R42N said:

When a guy that has a foot in the door with the MTA says “enjoy the Railfan Window on the (B) and the (G)“, and the only railfan window left on the B Division other than the 42 is the 32, then it’s easy to put one and one together. 

Sure, there might be air conditioning issues, but a good amount of time in an outdoor yard and two sections of outdoor (remember, Prospect Pk isn’t the last time the (B) goes above ground, the Manhattan Bridge is) is way more than enough. It’s confirmed, and that’s that. 

Not confirmed to me until I see an Official Transit Document, and that's that.  

I worked there for over 34 years.  Do you have any idea on how many rumors I hear about equipment that didn't come to pass?  If I had a dime for each one I'd be a rich man!

1 minute ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Not confirmed to me until I see an Official Transit Document, and that's that.  

I worked there for over 34 years.  Do you have any idea on how many rumors I hear about equipment that didn't come to pass?  If I had a dime for each one I'd be a rich man!

Ok, I don’t want to argue. I trust DJ and UnionTpke, and you can trust your experience. 

I’ll hold on to your post for safekeeping. 

This thread was decent until some foamers started showing up and kept the R32 (B) topic going instead of waiting and seeing what would happen. 

If it weren't for that tube issue, the (B) would be the logical choice. But the (A) has way more outdoor time than the (B). At this point just wait and see once the R179's start pushing trains out to find out where they'll go

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

That's not the point it's almost always cancelled, because it is.  When the line is cancelled, the trains don't disappear automatically!  The finish their trips or get rerouted somewhere, some getting back to their terminals after the incident is over.

R32's are banned from the Montague Tunnel by Official Bulletin due to clearance issues, therefore theoretically they CANNOT run via the Montague and Broadway.

I have known about the R32 ban since it came to light. I am just pointing out to you that, currently, as it stands now, in the PRESENT, rerouting the Manhattan-bound (B) (currently using R68/68As) via Montague is an such an INFREQUENT event in and of itself. Yet, you have made this rare event THE NUMBER ONE #1 objection towards running R32s on the (B), when reality, and historical precedence, shows it to be a trivial objection.

And please use Multiquote.

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

A 30 year old car is younger than a 53 year old car!  And the R68/68A were the newest cars for many years till the R160's came out (not counting the R143's since they were exclusively for the L line and weekend M shuttle).  The C line does not have all R32's like in the past so they could spread out air conditioning misery a bit.  You claim the r32's on the C are operating just fine but they are still giving the crews and dispatchers fits in the summer due to air conditioning woes.

Finally, the R32's will go where transit decides where they will go when the official car assignments are released as R179's are released for service and the L tube closure.  They have said not all R32's will be saved, but those that are could be used on certain lines for one trip rush hours only.   Also the MDBF (mileage between failures) is the worst in the system for the R32's.

And you nevered answered my question....i asked what would you do what lines you would put them on...not what the mta would do...and yes they do operate fine to me on the (C) based on my experience...And when the bridge get shutdown for whatever reason...how sending (B) trains ( regardless of the cars) up Montague Tunnel  helps ppl looking for 6av and upper man...could they even fit cause of all these reroutes...don't forget about the (N)(Q)(R) that will makes sense to send thru...and (D) trains that's gonna end up nowhere... Btw the r32 (B) idea came from a current motorman...Far rockaway depot...

13 hours ago, R42N said:

Actually not all of the R62As have been converted to full width cabs yet. Just staring out of the Front window on the (7) train yesterday. 

Edit: lol silly me reread and just noticed you said "B division". My apologies.

Edited by B46 via Utica

15 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

This thread was decent until some foamers started showing up and kept the R32 (B) topic going instead of waiting and seeing what would happen. 

If it weren't for that tube issue, the (B) would be the logical choice. But the (A) has way more outdoor time than the (B). At this point just wait and see once the R179's start pushing trains out to find out where they'll go

There isn’t anything wrong with this thread. It’s still decent. It’s just Bill throwing his titties in a knot everytime someone mentions the R32 (B) thingy and posting multiple times instead of using the multi quote.

6 hours ago, Jemorie said:

There isn’t anything wrong with this thread. It’s still decent. It’s just Bill throwing his titties in a knot everytime someone mentions the R32 (B) thingy and posting multiple times instead of using the multi quote.

LMAO.

You want a multi-quote.......enjoy it! 

Do you really think I'm going to truthfully respond to you and get my posting privileges revoked over your dumb ass comment from the peanut gallery?  I will not take your bait.  

16 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

LMAO.

You want a multi-quote.......enjoy it! 

Do you really think I'm going to truthfully respond to you and get my posting privileges revoked over your dumb ass comment from the peanut gallery?  I will not take your bait.  

Calling their comment “dumb ass” and “front the peanut gallery” is the definition of taking the bait when responding to a mild comment. 

Why can’t we move on and be friendly with each other, every page, it’s some member vs Bill, jabbing at the R32 (B) debate, with Bill rephrasing the same jargon that has been de-bunked by credible insiders (Dj, Union, etc.)

There are plenty of other interesting thoughts and concerns that get buried thanks to this argument (that, I admittedly have been sucked in to).

We debated it, the insiders came out and told us what is what, and now we can stop arguing. 

Edited by R42N

No bill is making sense, and the R32's going to the (B) and (G) is not confirmed until ether a bulletin is put up or when a set of R32's pop up on the (B). The only thing i heard is that they're going to the (G).

Even if they do put them on the (B) it'll probably be a gap train like in 2009-2010 when it barely ran while the rest of the cars run on the (G) so this way if the road f**ks up that train would not run. If 112-144 cars remain on property the (G) would use most of them. The only issue is the hvac units since the (G) is 95% underground. 

The (G) you don't have to change signs at all and i bet the (G) would still have R68's left to run alongside with the R32's. 

No Decision has been made yet, im sure certain people know more but can't discuss what's really going to happen. Plus like i said  before this R179 order might be slow so it depends on what happens and how long they take to come in.

2 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Anyways (while I don't have any documentation) I did hear from my Friend who heard from his friend who heard from someone else that R32's are going on the (A)(B) and (G) lines

When info comes down like this, it is sure to be wrong.  How do I know that "someone else" is expressing fact or opinion?

14 hours ago, quadcorder said:

How about instead, you scroll back in this thread to where some, you know, reliable sources, confirmed what the future assignments will be, and then stop speculating wildly.

I agree, I just wanted to share that outto make sure that my sources were correct