Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The Staten Island Railway uses cab signals which is a non starter in R32's. Also the half cabs rear their ugly head again, when it comes to door operation (you need a full width cab for the current conductor markers at stops on the right hand side)

Exactly, I’m just talking about how we have exhausted all options, and the SIR was the only line that was never discussed. 

So, while it might be un-popular, the (B) or the (G), while problematic, might be the least of the bad options. Otherwise, if the R32’s really are a circle in a triangle hole, and can’t fit anywhere you put them, then you have to retire them, but here’s the thing, they aren’t a circle, they are usable cars, that until the 211’s, will need to be in use. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only 2 lines you'll see them move to is ether the (A) or the (G). If the (C) does go 10 cars then the R32's will definitely be on the (A). That's if they go with the plan to increase the (C) to 10 cars. 

If that Montague tube wasn't an issue then the (B) would be my number 1 choice.

But they're better off keeping them on the (J) imo. Very litte complaints and barely any hvac issues 

57 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

They can't go on the (J). They need all the capacity they can get during the Canarsie shutdown, and the low MDBF can make it even harder to reach 24 TPH.

The way the R179 order is going, there will still be some R32's left in ENY by the time the shutdown starts

3 hours ago, R42N said:

I think the issue is here is that it becomes a process of elimination. 

Here are the cited issues with all the lines when the R179s come in:

(A) : Too “packed” 

(B) : Montague a potential re-route (A possibility to some)

(C) : Not outdoors enough, will get more displaced pax at Broadway Junction, R179s will be added.

(D) : Montague a potential re-route

(E) : Not Outdoors; too packed for SMEE. 

(F) : Too Packed for SMEE. 

(G) : Plausible, but OPTO and overcrowding could be an issue

(J) / (Z): No SMEE on Jamaica during Canarsie shutdown. 

(M) : No SMEE on Jamaica/Bridge during Canarsie.

(N) / (W) : Montague in-schedule

(Q) : Montague a potential re-route

(R) : Montague in-schedule 

(S) : Franklin is OPTO, Rockaway is plausible, but won’t use up fleet

Frankly, the only route that hasn’t been discussed is the Staten Island Railway, or (SIR). Which would work, but it would need modification and then you’d have displaced R44’s on your hands. 

Best options there are is the (G) and Rock (S) . QBL will complain about the R32s and an R32 breaking down on 6th will kill the IND in Manhattan.

The (A) is just gonna have to get the R32’s and R42’s or Coney Island for (G) service. The (J) is gonna need all its NTTs while the shutdown is in effect. And when is the (C) expected to be 600 feet?? 

Edited by VIP

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

The way the R179 order is going, there will still be some R32's left in ENY by the time the shutdown starts

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

They will probably transfer R160s to get the R32s out if it comes to that.

Then it’s back to the (C) line for the ENY R32s. Because that’s the only non-ENY line running 4-car R160 sets. And it’s one of the few lines in northern Brooklyn that won’t be significantly affected by the (L) shutdown, unlike the (G) , (J) and (M) .  Jamaica and Coney Island yards are unlikely to take them back and they can’t send any of their R160s to ENY, because they’re configured in 5-car sets. 

15 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

They would prefer not to have them on the (C) because it is completely underground.

But since when this became an issue? The R32’s ran on the (C) for years and even currently. Hell, even a couple of 10-car R32’s run on the (A) so if R32’s need to be reassigned to the (C) then it will. 

In regards to the A/C issue, I haven't been on a 32 on the (C) this past summer that had broken A/C, however I been on a bunch of R62As and even R62s with broken A/C. If (1) and (6) riders that can deal with the occasional broken A/C, then why not (C) riders? If the 179s aren't ready by the time the (L) shutdown happens its best to swap the 160s on the (C) with the 32s at ENY. I'm NOT saying its a fact but from my personal observation the IRT SMEE's have more unreliable A/C's than the 32s do.

Still, the 42s would still be at ENY, this is where removing the wayside signals on the (L) west of Broadway Junction really hurts the TA, once the shutdown happens the portion of the (L) line that would still be running will have 8 min headways, if the wayside signals were still there the 42s could have went back on the (L) line.. freeing up more NTT for the (J) & (M) lines.

19 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

If that Montague tube wasn't an issue then the (B) would be my number 1 choice.

I think that was everyone's first choice. It's a part-time line with a large portion outside, thus reducing the risk of overtaxing the HVAC system. They really screwed the pooch by limiting the clearance space in Montague.

16 hours ago, VIP said:

But since when this became an issue? The R32’s ran on the (C) for years and even currently. Hell, even a couple of 10-car R32’s run on the (A) so if R32’s need to be reassigned to the (C) then it will. 

The cars are older now and thus are more susceptible to mechanical issues cropping up on them. With the current car assignment setup, we don't have all of the 32s on a completely underground line. Keeping them interspersed with the A1s allow for the for the 32s to get a break, something they could not get being the sole fleet of the (C) line.

14 hours ago, VIP said:

So um yeah, 207 Street’s R32’s are getting the interior car LED lights. Example: 3484/3485 these are amongst the few that have brightened interiors. I guess it’s part of the SMS including the roofs getting painted. 

Interesting.

17 hours ago, VIP said:

So um yeah, 207 Street’s R32’s are getting the interior car LED lights. Example: 3484/3485 these are amongst the few that have brightened interiors. I guess it’s part of the SMS including the roofs getting painted. 

As mentioned earlier, isn't it just that the incredibly opaque light covers are getting replaced or cleaned? I didn't see LEDs on 3778-3779 when I briefly saw them recently.

8 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

They can be if any incident happens on the Manhattan Bridge that requires it to temporarily close until whatever issue clears up.

I remember as a kid when they only ran to 34th St under Manhattan bridge construction. That took the soul and identity out of the (B) and (D) 

13 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

They can be if any incident happens on the Manhattan Bridge that requires it to temporarily close until whatever issue clears up.

They can also be rerouted to the (F) line or even the (A) and (C) lines. Just seen a (B) train at York St last week and I've took the (D) train to Chambers St before.