Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

8 hours ago, T J Trainman said:

Why not run 6 car R-46s for the C? the G did that years ago before they cut it permanently to 4 cars.

A  6 car R46 @ 450' is shorter in length than an 8 car R32/160 @ 480'.

Plus there wouldn't be enough 2 car mated R46's to equipment the C with enough cars for service + yard/ shop spares.

The goal of MTA is to lengthen, not reduce, C train lengths so IDK what your purpose is.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (B) gets good ridership, the full length trains are justified. During the PM Rush from the city going into BK those trains be packed like sardines, sit at Grand or Broadway Lafayette S/B platform during the PM rush and observe the trains, those (B) trains are even more crowded than the (D) trains going into BK during the rush.

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The (B) gets good ridership, the full length trains are justified. During the PM Rush from the city going into BK those trains be packed like sardines, sit at Grand or Broadway Lafayette S/B platform during the PM rush and observe the trains, those (B) trains are even more crowded than the (D) trains going into BK during the rush.

2 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Ride a (B) train in rush hour. That will answer your question.

Question for both of y'all...If ridership on the (B) is that high...Why operate it on wkdays only??? Im well aware the  (B) ridership is good on wkdays??? i mean look where it serves 6 av the bronx,bklyn....Its funny how when there was a debate on  (B) trains running wkends..There's not enough ridership,to many wkend go's etc...But when its time for a car swap the ridership it too high..Go figure

1 minute ago, biGC323232 said:

Question for both of y'all...If ridership on the (B) is that high...Why operate it on wkdays only??? Im well aware the  (B) ridership is good on wkdays??? i mean look where it serves 6 av the bronx,bklyn....Its funny how when there was a debate on  (B) trains running wkends..There's not enough ridership,to many wkend go's etc...But when its time for a car swap the ridership it too high..Go figure

Because ridership on Weekdays is different than ridership on weekends.

2 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Weekdays and weekends are two completely different animals...

I also don't see you advocating for 8 car (W) trains even though it also doesn't run weekends... 

2 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

There's a big difference between weekend ridership and weekday ridership. Plus add the amount of construction present on weekends.

6 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I also don't see you advocating for 8 car (W) trains even though it also doesn't run weekends... 

Well someone did advocated for that last year.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

5 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Because ridership on Weekdays is different than ridership on weekends.

4 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

There's a big difference between weekend ridership and weekday ridership. Plus add the amount of construction present on weekends.

5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It doesnt take a rocket science to know that there's less ppl using the subway on wkends...I get all of that...So whats yall suggestion on how the (C) can become full length???..Cause apparently they trying to go thru with this plan..And all these new r179's are mostly 8 cars...So whos giving up there full lengths for the (C)???? I dont see how they can??

13 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Think of who's taking the B train. They don't need it on the weekends anywhere near as much. It's Brooklyn-Manhattan commuters most of the time, people heading to jobs in Chinatown, Midtown, the Upper West Side, and Harlem. There's a reason it runs local on CPW, and why it turns at 145th most of the day. It's a commuter train, packed about 7-10am and 4-8pm on weekdays, but lower ridership the rest of the time. It's like <6> express service, which is needed during the AM and PM rush, but not during the rest of the day, and definitely not on weekends.

--

Still gonna be skeptical of this swap in motion. The fan in me is thrilled to have 32s on the (A), but the mixed-length (C) consists is gonna confuse people on the TA side and the customer side...

Just now, biGC323232 said:

So whats yall suggestion on how the (C) can become full length???..Cause apparently they trying to go thru with this plan..And all these new r179's are mostly 8 cars...So whos giving up there full lengths for the (C)???? I dont see how they can??

Frankly, I wouldn't be doing it at all... 

5 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Think of who's taking the B train. They don't need it on the weekends anywhere near as much. It's Brooklyn-Manhattan commuters most of the time, people heading to jobs in Chinatown, Midtown, the Upper West Side, and Harlem. There's a reason it runs local on CPW, and why it turns at 145th most of the day. It's a commuter train, packed about 7-10am and 4-8pm on weekdays, but lower ridership the rest of the time. It's like <6> express service, which is needed during the AM and PM rush, but not during the rest of the day, and definitely not on weekends.

--

Still gonna be skeptical of this swap in motion. The fan in me is thrilled to have 32s on the (A), but the mixed-length (C) consists is gonna confuse people on the TA side and the customer side...

I get what yall saying about the wkend vs wkday.I agree totally.. my point is in order to keep this confusing down (C) train needs to be full length thats why i suggested someone have to give up full length cars...I just dont see any other yard being able to give there full length cars other than coney island...Just my opinion  

Another thought is that if they're willing to reconfigure sets (11-car R160 set with an additional B car in testing on the F the other day), they could build up 10-car sets from the R160s. The marriages are Catholic, but I guess they're all Protestant when it comes down to it.

All this speculation, but I really think the best idea is to transfer all the R32’s to CI for the (B) in exchange for the R68A’s for either (A) / (C)  the R160’s can go back onto the (J) and then the (A) and (C) can be all R46/R68A’s while the (B) line has majority of the R32’s until the R211’s arrive. Side note; if the (A) is still planned to get the 4 sets of R179’s then 207st can transfer 4 sets of the R68A’s back to CI. Either that or the (A) gets ALL 222 R32’s or the (C) in 10-car consists. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Another thought is that if they're willing to reconfigure sets (11-car R160 set with an additional B car in testing on the F the other day), they could build up 10-car sets from the R160s. The marriages are Catholic, but I guess they're all Protestant when it comes down to it.

What? An eleven-car set?

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

What? An eleven-car set?

"The other day" was completely wrong, I confused a story. But, the MTA did consider doing this in trials a little while back--not sure whatever happened to it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-transit-tests-11-car-train-means-alleviating-f-line-overcrowding-article-1.361516

4 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

"The other day" was completely wrong, I confused a story. But, the MTA did consider doing this in trials a little while back--not sure whatever happened to it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-transit-tests-11-car-train-means-alleviating-f-line-overcrowding-article-1.361516

Wow..I wonder why the (MTA) didn't stay with that....

24 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Almost 60 years. Short extensions started almost after the subway opened. There was a big extension program in the 1930s, followed by one in the 1950s which ended in 1962. 

Gotcha. Right, I do remember seeing 10 car train signs on trains in older pictures pre 1930. 

Edited by RailRunRob