Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Dude those R160s were thrown on the (E) because of politics, they were slated to go on the (F) first, most of the (F) crews were R160 qualified until the (E) riders started going to their local community boards, mal com smith was even involved, how are you gonna tell me politics weren't involved, I live on the damn line for over 20 years, it was so bad that they stole a 4 car R160A just to test and qualify the (E) crews, hence the 1st day of these running on the (E) there was nothing but problems, the (E) was planned to get R160s after the (F) in the summer of 2009, The (F) was chosen first because of the simple fact that it was a longer and more demanding line, in fact the (F) was gonna use 3-5 sets of R160s from CI just to cover for already retired cars in the summer of 2008, a lot of you don't know when to quit it, you guys constantly go hard all because of my opinions, a lot of things I've said has completely happened, you guys act like I don't know shit, but most of you on here don't know shit and this is why many good members left, call me a foamer or whatnot. At the end of the day its a hobby and this is what I like, trust me there's a reason why I can't stand E riders

Edited by R32 3838

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The replacement of the 32s with the new 160s surely had nothing to do with the fact that those two lines were the busiest lines with the oldest equipment in service. It was all politicking to appease riders and city councilmen. *rolls eyes* The idea was to retire the 32s along with everything else below the 44s. The 160s entered service on lines the MTA felt needed them first according to passenger levels, not based on what riders would say. That's why the N and E received them first. The F and Q followed right behind them as more cars were delivered.

The car assignments are based on meeting the service demands of a particular line, not pleasing every Tom, Dick and Harry who happen to ride the train. Making the C 100 percent 160s does absolutely nothing towards that goal. All that does is create a nuisance because the cars have to be swapped on a regular basis for general maintenance since 207th Street still can't do anything with them. They'd basically be glorified car sitters while East New York has to deal with more cars unless those 32s were sent back and forth to 207th for maintenance. I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but it sounds like way too much work for very little payoff. The 32s are going to have problems wherever they go

Exactly, excellent point.

Dude those R160s were thrown on the (E) because of politics, they were slated to go on the (F) first, most of the (F) crews were R160 qualified until the (E) riders started going to their local community boards, mal com smith was even involved, how are you gonna tell me politics weren't involved, I live on the damn line for over 20 years, it was so bad that they stole a 4 car R160A just to test and qualify the (E) crews, hence the 1st day of these running on the (E) there was nothing but problems, the (E) was planned to get R160s after the (F) in the summer of 2009, The (F) was chosen first because of the simple fact that it was a longer and more demanding line, in fact the (F) was gonna use 3-5 sets of R160s from CI just to cover for already retired cars in the summer of 2008, a lot of you don't know when to quit it, you guys constantly go hard all because of my opinions, a lot of things I've said has completely happened, you guys act like I don't know shit, but most of you on here don't know shit and this is why many good members left, call me a foamer or whatnot. At the end of the day its a hobby and this is what I like, trust me there's a reason why I can't stand E riders

This type of post is why people get on your case. It seems pretty obvious that you are just spouting off rubbish to get attention. Alot of things you said has completely happen? How come the R32s aren't on the (B) nor the R160s? And wtf does politics have to do with the transit agency's decision on which car goes where? Last I checked, Corona's R62As are coming to the (6) once the R188s hit the (7) and no passengers are gonna do jack about it.

As Lance said, the R32s that were replaced by the R160s on the (E) had nothing to do with politics. It was the agency's decision. The original plan was to scrap all R32s, R38s, R40s and R42s via the replacement with the R160s. Many times you've been wrong about those 48 leftover R42s being retired and having the R32s' spare rate lowered down. Snowblock has already stated that the R42s will be retired after 2 more years. Don't make such suggestions without thinking the outcome, cause and the effect of what or can happen and expect anybody on the forums to not criticize you. Period.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

This type of post is why people get on your case. It seems pretty obvious that you are just spouting off rubbish to get attention. Alot of things you said has completely happen? How come the R32s aren't on the (B) nor the R160s? And wtf does politics have to do with the transit agency's decision on which car goes where? Last I checked, Corona's R62As are coming to the (6) once the R188s hit the (7) and no passengers are gonna do jack about it.

As Lance said, the R32s that were replaced by the R160s on the (E) had nothing to do with politics. It was the agency's decision. The original plan was to scrap all R32s, R38s, R40s and R42s via the replacement with the R160s. Many times you've been wrong about those 48 leftover R42s being retired and having the R32s' spare rate lowered down. Snowblock has already stated that the R42s will be retired after 2 more years. Don't make such suggestions without thinking the outcome, cause and the effect of what or can happen and expect anybody on the forums to not criticize you. Period.

i thought the R62As are also switching with  (2) lines and thats true that no one will damage the 188'S

i thought the R62As are also switching with  (2) lines and thats true that no one will damage the 188'S

I mean the passengers can't do nothing about the R62As operating on the (6) with a few leftover R142As in the future.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

How are my posts rubbish, it was an actual plan you jackass, how am I trying to get attention, half of the shit I have had happened, I have very reliable sources and on top of that the R42 retirement was an actual plan by the TA that got pushed back due to the fact that they felt the R32s were not as reliable as they thought, I even saw the E-mail, so don't go there because most of the shit you post like half of the people on here is total bullshit, once those R32s started hitting the J all of you felt like total a**holes Edited by R32 3838

How are my posts rubbish, it was an actual plan you jackass, how am I trying to get attention, half of the shit I have had happened, I have very reliable sources and on top of that the R42 retirement was an actual plan by the TA that got pushed back due to the fact that they felt the R32s were not as reliable as they thought, I even saw the E-mail, so don't go there because most of the shit you post like half of the people on here is total bullshit, once those R32s started hitting the J all of you felt like total a**holes

You can curse at me and act tough all you want. But I am only going to this once: the only things you've seem to have gotten right were pretty much about the NYCS R44s coming to an end and that the R32s would go on the (J) due to the aforementioned reasons. Pretty much everything else, you certainly gotten wrong and the answers to your opnions were explained well enough already.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

How are my posts rubbish, it was an actual plan you jackass, how am I trying to get attention, half of the shit I have had happened, I have very reliable sources and on top of that the R42 retirement was an actual plan by the TA that got pushed back due to the fact that they felt the R32s were not as reliable as they thought, I even saw the E-mail, so don't go there because most of the shit you post like half of the people on here is total bullshit, once those R32s started hitting the J all of you felt like total a**holes

You lost all credibility when you started name calling... 

Agreed about the 6, the 2 is not losing their trains because they are needed there as it shares the north and southern part of the line with the 5. Also they sometimes run over each other's lines (2 on the east and 5 on the west). too bad if the UES riders don't want the old trains back, they can take taxis or buses to the west side if they don't like it.

Agreed for the E, R32s were there because the train had 40 sets of doors compared to the 32 of the R46s, so sending the R160s to the E first over the F made more sense.

Edited by Grand Concourse

First off Chris, calm down. It's really not that serious as to require name calling and profanity. Secondly, the 42s had to stick around post-44 retirement or there would not have been enough trains to run in the east. The M/V merger needed more trains than the old Nassau M to Chambers did.

From looking at the comments, I was under the impression reason the R160's went to Jamaica because of two reasons:

1) The 30 day tests of the R160's on the (A) : It failed because R160's cannot operate under LIPA powered tracks on the Rockaways.

2) The earlier then expected retirement of the R44's due to unforseen structural problems. If we recall originally we had R42's operating on the (E) in addition to the usual R32's, that was the original plan, let the QBL be the dumping ground for the aging SMEE's and all the Space Age tech 75' footers. Until that occurred along with the problems with the R160's operating on the (A) . Operations planning had to modify the R160 yard assignments accordingly and now we have NTT's on the (E) and (F). The rest is history.

Part of the reason the 160s went to Jamaica instead of Pitkin was because of the LIPA issue. However that was minor compared to much larger issue of the oldest cars were on one of the busiest lines in the system. And as Grand Concourse said, the 46s were impractical for the E (and even the F to an extent) because of the door problem. By the way, can someone find any concrete proof the 160s were originally slated for Pitkin? I've seen a lot of rumors and speculation, especially surrounding the 30 day test on the A in September 2006, but I haven't been able to find anything legitimate.

Also, the 44 retirement had nothing to do with the 160s other than car displacement. If the 44s were still around, the A and C would've been 44/46. On a side note, ironically, the C would've finally been full length. Funny how that worked out.

Edited by Lance

Then we mus ask ourselves why the 30 day test on the (A) took place initially ? This isn't a rumor here or wild speculation, this is an educated guess based on past patterns where it comes to new cars and acceptance testing. Recall the R142's were originally revenue service tested on the (2) and it was a stunning success. So it is we still see R142's on the (2) today assigned to 239/180th street yards. My point is that if the 30 day tests were indeed successful then the R160's would have indeed been assigned to Pitkin Yard after all. Of course, let me state for the record again so everyone is on the same page here that the early retirement of the R44's along with the circumstances regarding the Rockaways as I initially mentioned before changed everything.

Edited by realizm

By the way, can someone find any concrete proof the 160s were originally slated for Pitkin?

I googled it and could not find any MTA pdf documents relating to direct reasons as to why the MTA planners tested the R160's on the (A) so I will have to assume that the reason was simply as tests to confirm that R160's can run all tracked areas of the B division. Which of course as we well all know we can't for all the various reasons mentioned. So I will have to say you have a point on that one.