MTA Bus Time - Lateness Stats for October and September 2014

Mysterious2train

Here's the website.

Nathan Johnson developed an app to analyze departure data from MTA Bus Time to measure earliness, lateness, and on-time statistics for buses using MTA Bus Time. The data used is from October and September, and measures the timeliness of each bus route on each stop every time it leaves a stop. There's also data showing bus departures from midnight to 6 am only for those months.

I compiled the buses that were late the most in October leaving stops (I only included bus routes where at least 33%, or one-third of buses were late leaving stops. You can check out the link to see September's stats, and for the rest of the buses in October. Remember that a bus is only considered "late" if it reaches a stop more than 5 minutes after the scheduled time for that stop.)

Oh yeah, apparently SBS routes were not included.

Bus routes that were most late according to MTA Bus Time - October 2014

October 2014 Daytime

Brooklyn Local Bus

B41 – 43%

B69/B103 – 38%

B25 – 37%

B15 – 35%

B47 – 34%

B24/B44 Local – 33%

Brooklyn Express Bus

BM3 – 48%

BM2 – 45%

BM5 – 42%

BM1/BM4 – 38%

Bronx Local Bus

Bx15 - 36%

Bx20 – 35%

Bronx Express Bus – None

Manhattan Local Bus

M4 – 60%

M5 – 56%

M3 – 55%

M2 – 53%

M103 – 51%

M1/M7/M101 – 50%

M102 – 47%

M11 – 45%

M9 – 43%

M31 – 41%

M104 – 40%

M57 – 38%

M20 – 36%

M14A/M15 Local/M98 LTD – 35%

M100 – 34%

Queens Local Bus

Q41 – 50%

Q112 – 48%

Q7/Q8 /Q60 – 44%

Q32/Q113 LTD – 41%

Q114 – 39%

Q53 LTD – 38%

Q19/Q72/Q110 – 36%

Q56 – 35%

Q111 – 34%

Q39 – 33%

Queens Express Bus

QM18 – 48%

QM15 – 42%

QM20 – 36%

QM6 – 35%

QM5 – 34%

Staten Island Local Bus

S86 LTD – 51%

S84 LTD – 49%

S92 LTD – 40%

S66 – 37%

S57/S74/S78/S94 LTD – 34%

S76/S91 LTD – 33%

Staten Island Express Bus

X10 – 43%

X4 – 38%

X7 – 35%

X10B – 34%

October 2014 (Midnight – 6 AM)

M2 – 36%

M3 – 47%

S57 – 41%

M5 – 39%

M103/Q41 – 37%

QM20 – 36%

Q32 – 35% 

I'm surprised the QM18 got a higher lateness percentage than the QM15. Almost every saturday QM15 trip is late though, and weekday trips, although given more time to loop around manhattan and come back to Lindenwood, still run with delays.

I'm also surprised that lateness decreased on the QM15 from September to October.

As for the BM5, by the time they reach the last pick up to Manhattan on Saturdays, buses are late, since they are given less time than the off peak trips to Manhattan on Weekdays. Woodhaven has traffic most of the time regardless. However, by the time they reach the first drop off, they are not so behind schedule anymore.

Not surprised about the B41 and B44 local are among the most late routes in BK....

In the 41 case going towards KP/Bergen Beach in the afternoon, From Empire Blvd to the Junction is a choke point, with the 44 its pretty bad from Fulton to Church. Not surprised with the 41 being number 1 though.

B15 ALWAYS be bunching towards the Airport some reason...

Not suprised that the Q34 is always early. I am surprised that the Q88 is though. It seems like the Q88 is always unreliable. But it could be just me not knowing that the Q88 has very low intervals.

The Q88 I'm also surprised about. It bunches up all the time going to Woodhaven Blvd. The line at the Horace Harding Expressway and Kissena Blvd is so long it goes around the block to the Q25 bus stop. There are school runs that start there but Half the regular buses came and picked up the people or there are only a few people when it does come.

The Q34 is early because it's probably the Whitestone portion of its route that was observed. The Q34 route south of Flushing is just as bad as the Q25 and sometimes those buses don't show up because they are on the Q25.

m4 is stupidity long and needs to be split up.

I just don't care for it being a cheap crosstown (110th) that's hardly ever used as such....

You could maybe justify running buses from Cloisters to 125th/St. Nick (to terminate w/ the short turn M3's), but where could you justify ending  the 5th/Madison portion/split of the route on the northern end?

I just don't care for it being a cheap crosstown (110th) that's hardly ever used as such....

You could maybe justify running buses from Cloisters to 125th/St. Nick (to terminate w/ the short turn M3's), but where could you justify ending  the 5th/Madison portion/split of the route on the northern end?

Couldn't you turn it where the M104 turns around?

I suppose you're right, since you can't terminate buses anywhere around Columbia U (which for that, and access to the (1) are the only reasons I'd have such a split even run on Broadway)...

Thinking of other terminals in the vicinity... Well, there's simply no capacity to end it with the M60, and the M116 turnaround scenario.... ehhh.... To have it turn off onto 125th where the Bx15 ends would be rather pointless....

this guy gets it.

I suppose you're right, since you can't terminate buses anywhere around Columbia U (which for that, and access to the (1) are the only reasons I'd have such a split even run on Broadway)...

Thinking of other terminals in the vicinity... Well, there's simply no capacity to end it with the M60, and the M116 turnaround scenario.... ehhh.... To have it turn off onto 125th where the Bx15 ends would be rather pointless....

grant's tomb perhaps.

The B15 needs to run Limited Stop Service to JFK Airport ASAP to limit crowding cuz it be packed during am and pm rush hour

it's always packed

The B15 needs to run Limited Stop Service to JFK Airport ASAP to limit crowding cuz it be packed during am and pm rush hour

No matter what time you catch it, the B15 is almost always packed or delayed or bunched up. Just on Saturday, I needed it that morning to go babysit. I walked out my building, and 3 of them go by towards Woodhull back to back to back.

Its one thing to miss one bus, but 3 at once at 8 in the morning just singed my nerves badly.

No matter what time you catch it, the B15 is almost always packed or delayed or bunched up. Just on Saturday, I needed it that morning to go babysit. I walked out my building, and 3 of them go by towards Woodhull back to back to back.

Its one thing to miss one bus, but 3 at once at 8 in the morning just singed my nerves badly.

Ever hear of BusTime? I would be using that for a line like that.

Ever hear of BusTime? I would be using that for a line like that.

I know of BusTime. Didn't use it because I know the 15 comes frequent enough where I don't need to track it. Most of the time I'm waiting no more than 5 minutes on Saturdays (about the only time I take the 15 nowadays, that 35 is a lifesaver lol), but to see 3 at once that early was just frustrating.

Ended up taking the 35 to the 46 anyway after it was all said and done...

I know of BusTime. Didn't use it because I know the 15 comes frequent enough where I don't need to track it. Most of the time I'm waiting no more than 5 minutes on Saturdays (about the only time I take the 15 nowadays, that 35 is a lifesaver lol), but to see 3 at once that early was just frustrating.

Ended up taking the 35 to the 46 anyway after it was all said and done...

I use it no matter how frequent the line is. Most local buses with those frequencies bunch like crazy, and I like getting on an empty bus where possible.

this guy gets it.

grant's tomb perhaps.

- What exactly did he "get"..... He chose a terminal where another bus route already terminates.

- I'm not joking around with you..... Talkin about some damn Grant's tomb....

Yeah, soon as I got off the (L), there was a B15 (JFK bound) right there... Odd thing was that the bus was empty, and there were about 50 people or so waiting to board the thing....

Decided to try a different commute coming home (after having gotten off the LIRR)... I'm just about done with the crap that happens at the B12 terminal every night....

I use it no matter how frequent the line is. Most local buses with those frequencies bunch like crazy, and I like getting on an empty bus where possible.

I only use it late at nights where headways on routes are generally piss poor (even so, the B15 runs every 30 minutes overnights) or I have no choice but to take the bus.

The B35, I have no reason to track it since I live at the end of the line, and there's almost always a bus waiting there

Archived