Should the MTA provide overnight service on more local buses

Via Garibaldi 8

As a an employee at JFK who uses the route, the Q10 is used a lot more than some people think. Heck, even with artics, buses do get decent loads with standees. As for late night headways like I've said before, many employees are either beginning or ending their shifts and do take the Q10.

As a an employee at JFK who uses the route, the Q10 is used a lot more than some people think. Heck, even with artics, buses do get decent loads with standees. As for late night headways like I've said before, many employees are either beginning or ending their shifts and do take the Q10.

.....yup, and they generally ride no further than Jamaica av.... Rode enough of those hawk trips on the B15 to the airport, and I've even taken some of those Q10's after the fact....

The Q3 OTOH, pales in comparison to the earlybird trips on the B15 & the Q10....

The Q3 and B15 run every 30 minutes overnight. I agree with a 20-minute headway to match the connecting subway headways.

The Q3 runs every 30 minutes at night. They must of changed that some time ago because I remember it used to be 60 minutes. It doesn't matter anyway because people don't use the Q3 anyway. I've seen more empty Q3's then Q10's.

Now can someone explain to me why the Q39, Q101 run late nights. I kind of figure the Q35 has it only because it's another way of getting to Brooklyn of it's needed. I don't see why the Q39 and Q101 need late night service.

At the very least, every feeder route that runs overnight (1:00AM to 5:00AM) should operate on the same headway as the connecting train or ferry. It gets confusing when most routes run every 60 minutes but some run every 30 minutes (M15, Q3, Q44) or 40 minutes (Q17, Q43, Q85).

most routes freuencies over night are based on running (cyc le) time. in special situation like (B15, M15, Q3, Q44) where the data show that the demand is there.

Honestly, I think that the Q17 and Q27 should have less late night service. The Q25 survives with 1-2 trains per hour with some standees and I think that the Q17 and Q27 should be able to do the same.

I think you're just saying this because these buses run down Kissena Blvd. They actually need it more than you think.

One thing that might be worth considering is whether or not there should be a system like the Blue Light system that the Toronto Transit Commission (the second largest mass-transit agency in the USA and Canada by ridership after the MTA here in NYC) has---where late night routes may have variations from daytime routes and would only serve areas that warrant them, which may not include some sections of daytime routes. This would be a network that runs between 12:30 AM and 5 AM, daily.

One thing that might be worth considering is whether or not there should be a system like the Blue Light system that the Toronto Transit Commission (the second largest mass-transit agency in the USA and Canada by ridership after the MTA here in NYC) has---where late night routes may have variations from daytime routes and would only serve areas that warrant them, which may not include some sections of daytime routes. This would be a network that runs between 12:30 AM and 5 AM, daily.

A lot of places have that set up. We had them in Florence Italy as well. They had similar colors for the bus stops indicating night service only.

A lot of places have that set up. We had them in Florence Italy as well. They had similar colors for the bus stops indicating night service only.

Montreal also has that; night time routes have their own numbers and are different from daytime routes.

At the very least, every feeder route that runs overnight (1:00AM to 5:00AM) should operate on the same headway as the connecting train or ferry. It gets confusing when most routes run every 60 minutes but some run every 30 minutes (M15, Q3, Q44) or 40 minutes (Q17, Q43, Q85).

I definitely agree with that. If they cannot meet very bus, then every other bus at the most important point on the route. For the B46, that would be Utica Av - Eastern Pky southbound.

If there was a separate nightie set of routes set up in a grid system, every other route every mile apart could operate overnight.

Bx5 and Bx39 should run overnight for part of their routes

Bx5 (Southern Blvd to Turnbull/Pugsley) 40-50 minutes

Bx39 (Clason Pt to Pelham Pky)  50-60 minutes

Bx39 Gun Hill Rd shuttle should be replaced by an extended Bx41 to 241 St

The current Bx39 shuttle are really Bx41 runs, so that's already happening. Bx41 changes signage at Gun Hill Road (hence why the Bx39 Shuttle as at KB, and not GH).

The current Bx39 shuttle are really Bx41 runs, so that's already happening. Bx41 changes signage at Gun Hill Road (hence why the Bx39 Shuttle as at KB, and not GH).

Some of the shuttle runs are Bx39 runs, until 1am S/B, and after 5am N/B.

The MTA should re add Bx41 to 241 St to the bus signs rather than change routes at Gun Hill Road.

• 1 month later...

Without changing route paths:

Brooklyn

B45 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes (eliminating B45 and B65 overnight service at the same time in June 2012 was a double whammy to the surrounding communities and, hence, a big mistake)

B46 - current frequency: 60 minutes; proposed frequency: 40 minutes

B57 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 70 minutes between downtown Brooklyn and Maspeth only

B82 - current frequency: 70 minutes; proposed frequency: 40 minutes

B103 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes between Flatbush and Canarsie only

Bronx

Bx1 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes

Bx3 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes

Bx4 - current frequency: 45 minutes early weekday mornings, 79 minutes early Saturday and Sunday mornings; proposed frequency: 45 minutes daily

Manhattan

M1 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes

M14 - current frequency: 60 minutes each branch; proposed frequency: 40 minutes each branch

M15 - current frequency: 30 minutes; proposed frequency: 20 minutes

M101/102/103 - current frequency: 60 minutes each; proposed frequency: 45 minutes each

Queens

None

Staten Island

S59 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes

S79 SBS: current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes

Without changing route paths:

Brooklyn

B45 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes (eliminating B45 and B65 overnight service at the same time in June 2012 was a double whammy to the surrounding communities and, hence, a big mistake)

B57 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 70 minutes between downtown Brooklyn and Maspeth only

B103 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes between Flatbush and Canarsie only

Bronx

Bx4 - current frequency: 45 minutes early weekday mornings, 79 minutes early Saturday and Sunday mornings; proposed frequency: 45 minutes daily

Manhattan

M14 - current frequency: 60 minutes each branch; proposed frequency: 40 minutes each branch

M101/102/103 - current frequency: 60 minutes each; proposed frequency: 45 minutes each

Queens

None

Staten Island

I'm sorry but any local route that isn't running should have half hour service, especially if the buses are feeders that are picking up subway riders.  People enduring 35 - 40 minute commute on the subway should not be faced with an hour wait if they can't get their bus.  I've had that happen to me when I was in a bind and missed the last express bus.  Took me over two hours to get back to Riverdale.

They should connect to every third train, if they are running on 60 minute headways.

IMO, the 57 should not run, nor does the M1. Furthermore, the M15 does not need the extra service, nor does the 14, or the lex routes.

Should is the key term... What should happen and does happen are two different things.

Without changing route paths:

Brooklyn

B45 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes (eliminating B45 and B65 overnight service at the same time in June 2012 was a double whammy to the surrounding communities and, hence, a big mistake)

B103 - current frequency: does not operate; proposed frequency: 60 minutes between Flatbush and Canarsie only

Bronx

Bx4 - current frequency: 45 minutes early weekday mornings, 79 minutes early Saturday and Sunday mornings; proposed frequency: 45 minutes daily

Manhattan

M14 - current frequency: 60 minutes each branch; proposed frequency: 40 minutes each branch

M101/102/103 - current frequency: 60 minutes each; proposed frequency: 45 minutes each

Queens

None

Staten Island

bx 1&4 do not need overnight service use subways they are still more frequent than your proposed frequencies anyway. The rest ok.

Don't be ridiculous... The Bx1 would do just fine at night, especially with the dangerous subways in the Bronx.  

By that "logic", there needs to be a bus paralleling every subway line in northern Brooklyn and the bronx. 

Normally, I would be able to just ignore some things, but this is getting out of hand.

The subways in the bronx aren't dangerous. Yes, you might have people who are of shady character, but seriously now, the subway isn't dangerous, otherwise I would've been mugged countless times. At night, yes you need to be more cautious, but I wouldn't call it "dangerous".

The buses aren't any different, don't you hear of the muggings of bus operators and/or fights breaking out, especially in the night? Only as of late, it's been happening in the daylight too.

By that "logic", there needs to be a bus paralleling every subway line in northern Brooklyn and the bronx. 

Normally, I would be able to just ignore some things, but this is getting out of hand.

The subways in the bronx aren't dangerous. Yes, you might have people who are of shady character, but seriously now, the subway isn't dangerous, otherwise I would've been mugged countless times. At night, yes you need to be more cautious, but I wouldn't call it "dangerous".

The buses aren't any different, don't you hear of the muggings of bus operators and/or fights breaking out, especially in the night? Only as of late, it's been happening in the daylight too.

Please... Listen, plenty of people use the buses in the Bronx at night to avoid the subways and that's one of the reasons why ridership is higher on the express buses and why they run longer.  No way in hell would I use the (4) train or any other train going through the Bronx late at night.  Even the (1) train is shady and that only runs through the Bronx for a short time and ends where Riverdale begins.  I for that reason would take Metro-North late nights if the express bus wasn't available.

The subways in the Bronx aren't dangerous... Shall I pull up countless stories of muggings and other events? <_<  

Archived