MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

No problem, but you gotta make sure your info is accurate b4 you post.

The same goes for other posters here; pls do not report any units as retired until you know for sure that it is actually retired.

Thanks.  I've been saying that for a long time.  In the depots there would be a sign on the bus with those dreaded words with the fare box taken out.  If "I heard from someone"....... that's where the inaccuracies come from.

12 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Thanks.  I've been saying that for a long time.  In the depots there would be a sign on the bus with those dreaded words with the fare box taken out.  If "I heard from someone"....... that's where the inaccuracies come from.

The other inaccuracies come from relying on public trackers like BusTime and Transee, especially the latter by relying on the supposed last day a bus ran which can be wrong as some buses run with broken or inactive trackers.

Some MCI’s that were reported to be scrap like 3273 and 3444 come to mind as those show up on the site supposedly last running in the Fall, when in reality they're still in service.

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Where did you get your original information about 4596 from?

I mean.... I just do stuff the old way if the bus hasn't tracked for awhile I would assume the bus is retired due to when it last tracked .  Yes Ik it's not right to state that buses aren't retired unless the farebox is out the bus but usually people tend to do so on the forums. I've been stated months ago I'm not right about everything when it comes to bus retirements I'm more good when it comes to transfers I'm trying, most of the stuff I said I got right and wrong and I was happy to get corrected on it. I usually get my info from a bus op, or like I said the old fashion way. I was wrong on the 4596 thing and I want to disregard that I forgot that buses be out for awhile due to maintenance and or if the bus tracker is messed up like for example 3623 the bus was supposedly retired but it wasn't the bus had a glitched tracker.

Edited by Ultimategamer12c

3 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The other inaccuracies come from relying on public trackers like BusTime and Transee, especially the latter by relying on the supposed last day a bus ran which can be wrong as some buses run with broken or inactive trackers.

Some MCI’s that were reported to be scrap like 3273 and 3444 come to mind as those show up on the site supposedly last running in the Fall, when in reality they're still in service.

Is 3444 still active? I have it as scrapped.

3143 and 3146: These MCI units out of LaGuardia are marked as retired. The cause of it is because those units do not have a farebox seen in distance moved to recent Prevosts in service, walking in a public sidewalk. 

Edited by Calvin

21 minutes ago, The Grizzly Bear said:

There are no more 3100s in service at LGA.  3178 is now done.  Some MCIs may be getting transferred over to CP to get rid of the oldest MCIs.  3000 and 3007 are still running? 

3007 is still running. 3000 is probably out of service for a while either getting maintenance or waiting for further details to be retired or not. 

18 minutes ago, The Grizzly Bear said:

This leads me to wonder if they are planning to save an OGs NG or MCI for nostalgic purposes or museums?  I don't think they're going to save an OG or NG because of the batteries.  MCI-possibly.  A lot of buses are being scrapped as of late.  

MTA did save a MCI for 9/11 tribute, considered as museum bus out of Amsterdam, 2185. As for OGs and NGs, they may not because the previous updates, no OGs were saved except 3563 which is a diesel converted. Also, the NGs at MTA Bus are dropping bc not only the ex TA units are retired but some of their own MTA Bus units too. 

Edited by Calvin

4 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

3000 was running two weeks ago, is that out now?

To my best answer, it's not out at this moment.

However, to make sure if it's retired, I would check to see if the unit has a farebox or not or that a MCI out of LGA came to replace it. 

Edited by Calvin